Night in Venice Ball QM2

Bojeanne

Does anyone know about the Night in Venice ball? Should I bring a mask with me? I'm thinking it will be cheaper to buy a pretty mask online prior to the cruise than buy one on board. Do people wear masks, anyway? Thanks for any info on this.

Bojeanne

Does anyone know about the Night in Venice Ball? Should I bring a mask with me? Bojeanne

Not if you're beautiful, my dear. From my observations of Cunard we need all the beauty we can get. Leave the masks to the old dears! Incidentally, did you know that at 10.30.pm. the ballroom is flooded and the Cruise Director arrives by gondola singing O Sole Mio? It's incredible what they can do nowadays.

Hey Slow Foxtrot...would that be Cunard's answer to the RCI wave runner surfing gizmo? Glad to hear we'll be keeping up with the whiz-bang new trends in cruising! And what's with the masks...is this on every cruise? I wheedled the men into tuxes...I don't stand a snowball's chance in hades getting them into a mask!! Cheers, Penny

Hey Slow Foxtrot...would that be Cunard's answer to the RCI wave runner surfing gizmo? Glad to hear we'll be keeping up with the whiz-bang new trends in cruising! And what's with the masks...is this on every cruise? Penny

"One has to admit that Cunard's new technology puts RCI to shame. The only drawback to flooding the ballroom at 10.30.pm is that one has to do the last waltz in wellingtons! As for the masks, did you know that when Cunard had that recent outbreak of the Novo Virus all passengers were issued with a surgical mask and anti-bacterial gloves which had to be worn at all times when dining in the restaurants? I have to say that many of one's fellow passengers looked a damn sight better when wearing the masks. It's a funny old world, don't you know!

quote "The only drawback to flooding the ballroom at 10.30.pm is that one has to do the last waltz in wellingtons!"

I have to find room to pack my wellies too?????????? I don't think they'll go with my black slinky gown!!!

Norovirus, surgical masks and gloves??? Thank goodness my DH doesn't read this forum!!!

Cheers, Penny

Incidentally, did you know that at 10.30.pm. the ballroom is flooded and the Cruise Director arrives by gondola singing O Sole Mio? It's incredible what they can do nowadays.

Foxtrotter, you may be right!

The flooded ballroom may not be too far from reality given the tacky cascading champage act which I hear Cunard co-opted from Princess (and which I witnessed in disbelief on a Princess cruise).:rolleyes:

Hey Slow Foxtrot...would that be Cunard's answer to the RCI wave runner surfing gizmo? Glad to hear we'll be keeping up with the whiz-bang new trends in cruising! And what's with the masks...is this on every cruise? I wheedled the men into tuxes...I don't stand a snowball's chance in hades getting them into a mask!! Cheers, Penny

Pennny,

Tell them they can pinch the ladies and no one will be the wiser!

As for the water/champange fall/ice rink and keeping up with the Jones, they couldn't afford a climbing wall, so I understand in one of the really rude areas at one port, they let the ropes down over the side for those tendering back. And your motivation is to escape the cutthroats and theives who row out to meet the ship! <G>

I think that's the night of the Pirates ball! <G>

Karie,

Who STILL thinks she makes a mighty fine serving wench... And Marc a handsome Jack Sparrow!

OK, ok, so I'm getting way too prepared for this cruise. Guess I have too much time to think about it. All I know is that my cruse documents (for June 15th Mediterranean cruise) tells me to be ready for the black & white ball, the Ascot ball, and the Night in Venice (or some such thing) ball. Another message thread told of people showing up with fancy masks on sticks, so I just wondered if any of you had this experience. I can't wait to just get on the boat and sail away!

Is this a particularly British thing -- having all these crazy theme parties where passengers are expected to show up in various crazy costumes?

I thought this sort of nonsense on cruises went out with the 1970s -- I guess not.

Think my wife and I will hide in our cabin that night and read a good book. No objection to a fine social evening -- just don't want a tacky one. Sounds like something one will find at a holiday camp in the UK.

Is this a particularly British thing -- having all these crazy theme parties where passengers are expected to show up in various crazy costumes?

I thought this sort of nonsense on cruises went out with the 1970s --

Sounds like something one will find at a holiday camp in the UK.

"Highly amusing sir, and a very accurate observation! One can only assume that all the entertainment officers were former Redcoats, Yellow Coats, or whatever else the staff were called at British Holiday Camps. No doubt you've read on another thread about all those proletarian passengers demanding to wear jeans, so you can't blame Cunard for providing a 'holiday camp' atmosphere.

Hi de Hi."

I thought this sort of nonsense on cruises went out with the 1970s -- I guess not.

Think my wife and I will hide in our cabin that night and read a good book. No objection to a fine social evening -- just don't want a tacky one. Sounds like something one will find at a holiday camp in the UK.

Now, now!

At least they don't do those silly pool games where the first passenger to run up to the staff with a pair of dentures, a bobby pin and a man's jock strap wins a prize!

And of course, I don't know how I lived without the ubiquitous ice carving, although I supposed i'd have preferred it to the art auction. The Ice carving is over and done with and you get on with your life!

Karie,

Who still enjoys these things!

P.S. And just what do you and your wife plan to do, holed up in your cabin? And is there admission fee? <G>

Now, now!

At least they don't do those silly pool games where the first passenger to run up to the staff with a pair of dentures, a bobby pin and a man's jock strap wins a prize!

Don't they? I'm sure they used to - I thought that it was done just for you Yanks:D

I thought that events like the Black and White Ball were just on the QM2 - imagine my surprise when I saw one advertised in the QE2's programme. Looking back over the programmes from past trips they've been there before but we've never noticed them.

As I read postings above about the ballroom filling filling with champagne or floods, check your deck plans to make sure you don't have a cabin on the deck below!!!!! You might have to bring an umbrella or a rain slicker. This could be more fun than the new surf pool on RCL.....surfing without leaving your cabin!!!!

Christy

As I read postings above about the ballroom filling with champagne or floods, check your deck plans to make sure you don't have a cabin on the deck below!!!!! You might have to bring an umbrella.

Christy

Actually this happened last summer. The ballroom was fitted with a gigantic plastic liner with metal sides and filled to a depth of four feet. When the cruise Director arrived in a gondola singing O Sole Mio the bottom of the gondola ruptured the plastic liner and forty thousand gallons of water descended on the cabins below. The unfortunate passengers were rescued by the ship's frog-men and, amazingly, there were no injuries. It's a funny old world!

"No doubt you've read on another thread about all those proletarian passengers demanding to wear jeans, so you can't blame Cunard for providing a 'holiday camp' atmosphere. "

I find this comment absolutely amazing. How on earth can you be so stuck up?:eek:

I am wondering about the formal nights, will my dark suit be out of place or should I be wearing a tuxedo?

Thanks

Most people will be wearing a tuxedo, although there will be the occasional man in a dark suit (there may even be one or two in a light suit - they should feel out of place). You won't be the only person in a dark suit although you will be in a small minority - as long as you're prepared for that a dark suit will be fine.

Hi PBrown...Sometimes it's hard on these threads to "hear" the humor in some remarks. As you are relatively new you've missed many of the previous "jeans on board" threads. The subject has been rehashed so many times we tend to get a bit silly about the subject. Please don't take offense. There are some very nice people here from various countries and everyone has a different sense of humor which is a part of what makes these discussions so entertaining sometimes.

Qm2 is an elegant ship...please understand that many of us look forward to that brief return to a more elegant time, even if just for a couple of nights in one trip. Cheers, Penny

Ah, to return to those more elegant times....

Fringe and Neru Jackets, cut-off shorts, leather vests, peace signs and flag patches,,, and of course - Tie-dyed everythings....

Or perhaps you meant some other time?

(Oh dear, I fear I may have picked the wrong decade)

I find this comment absolutely amazing. How on earth can you be so stuck up?:eek:

Oh, PB! You need not worry! After all, his is SFT! (Slow FoxTrot!)

You see, as Jimmy Buffett would say, He has his Caribbean Tongue stuck frimly in his Gulf Coastal Cheek!

Or perhaps it is his British Mother tongue stuck firmly in his Cunard cheek!' Or something.

Pay him no mind!

He is a big jokester on this board. You will get know him. He makes a lot of satirical and sardonic (not to mention sarcastic and facetious) posts!

SFT- Don't forget your <G>s and Smiley faces!

Now, you two, kiss and make up!

SFT-

Send Carruthers away. He is bothering the fine upstanding folks from the colonies!

(PB- He thinks Carruthers is real- Don't disabuse him of his fantasy- You know how "those types" are- It's like startling the sleep-walking- You don't know what could happen! He might be quite bereft if he were to discover that Carruthers is a figment of his imagination! They are fishing buddies- Only Carruthers is the "fishy one!" <LOL>)

Karie,

who is trying to smile through the tears. Going home tomorrow, and not much surer about my Dad than I was when I came.

Ah, to return to those more elegant times....

Fringe and Neru Jackets, cut-off shorts, leather vests, peace signs and flag patches,,, and of course - Tie-dyed everythings....

Or perhaps you meant some other time?

(Oh dear, I fear I may have picked the wrong decade)

HEY! Don't forget Carnaby Street Mod!

I stole my Dad's old ludicrous ties! He must have had at least ten that were burgundy and Silver!

And My Mom used to "borrow" my miniskirts and go-go boots (white, vinyl, of course!) and white or pink lipstick!

My boyfriend rode a small motorcycle. Do you know what it is like trying to get on the back of a motorcycle in a miniskirt and maintain your dignity?

And I MADE a couple of matching nehru shirts for the two of us! I still have mine, along with my bell bottoms and floppy hat somewhere in the basement.

Perhaps the poster meant the "gay nineties" Where did I put that roll for my bustle? And my whalebone corset! ''Or did you mean my great fringed flapper dress from the twenties?- Of course I will have to "bob" my hair. Which now reaches my waist!

Karie,

Who could wear her old miniskirts now on one arm!

Archived