Handicapped Passengers

Hello: A friend of ours wants to cruise with us but she has MS and is concerned about her ability to get around. Does RCCL allow motorized scooters on board or do they rent them to passengers who would need them Any information regarding this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

We were on the Mariner of the Seas in March, and there were several people that had motorized scooters, and I ran into them all over the ship. It didn't look like they were limited in any way. There was adequate room around the Windjammer to maneuver, and plenty of space in the theater and other public areas. My only concern would be with the elevator hogs, but there are lots of elevators on the Mariner (and the other Voyager class ships). I wouldn't think you'd have a problem at all.

Have fun!!

My DH is a wheelchair user. We rent scooters from the cruise line for use on the ship. WE also bring our own manual wheelchair for use at ports and back-up. We have used carevacations in the past. Call the cruise line and ask who they recommend. The scooter will be in your cabin upon arrival and ready to go. Also, Check out the disabled travel board on CC for further information. The board is full of good ideas and has threads concerning scooter rentals. Good luck and enjoy the cruise.

Electric carts are accepted by all the mainstream cruise lines. They do not supply cards but you can arrange for rentals through shoreside vendors ahead of time. I'll be surprised if someone doesn't post on this thread with some specific experience in renting a cart. I've even seen people gate check electric carts on Continental Airlines for a flight to Lisbon where they were meeting a Royal Caribbean ship. On longer cruises, which have a high percentage of older passengers, some areas look like electric cart parking lots.

My advice would be to book a handicapped cabin. They cost no more than the regular cabins in their particular category and are great for those dependent on a wheelchair or electric cart.

• 1 month later...

We are cruising on the Mariner on Sept 24th and MIL has limited mobility and is already taking everything she owns and we would like to rent a wheelchair to be delivered to the ship. Does anyone know of any reputable companies in the Orlando area that will do this. I have found a couple on the web but not sure about them.

Archived