Luggage question/ Alaska cruise

mmo

Hello--my husband and I are going to Alaska 5 days early to do some exploring on our own before our Island Princess cruise June 19th. On the 17th we are meeting up w/ my aunts in Anchorage, spending the night and then taking them w/ us to Seward for Sunday and on to Whittier on Monday.

Here's the problem--Ford Taurus car and 2 aunts that started buying clothes for this trip a year ago!! :eek: Since I am in IL and they are in FL I won't have a clue how much luggage these dears are bringing until we meet them in AK-but I am not kidding when I say they have been shopping for a year!! So, as I am sure the trunk of the Taurus DH and I rented won't hold all the luggage does anyone know if there is a service that I could send our luggage with to Whittier for our trip and DH and I would just use a carry on type for a couple days? I will try calling Princess also but wondered if anyone else has ever run into this problem. Sorry this is so long.....

I assume you are packing some bulky type clothes - sweat shirts, sweaters, vests, etc. for layering - get Space Bags, or a similar product (quite a few different brands available). We took that suggestion (from these boards) when we packed for Alaska and were amazed at the luggage space that was saved.

again, thanks for the suggestion-I was worrying because the person at car rental told me that there wasn't much space in the Taurus and since I didn't know anyone w/ that car couldn't check it out myself! The space bag is a good suggestion, I'll look for them this week.

Just as an FYI we did call the local office in Anchorage to ask if we could store our luggage, etc--we were told though that the only way they would do it is if we were staying at one of their associated hotels, the Hilton or Captain Hook....as we are not staying there we are out of luck!! Back to square one of trying to figure something else out!

You can find extra large ZipLoc bags at Target or Wal-mart. They work pretty well and are far less expensive.

Have you considered renting a van instead of the Taurus? :) If you've rented through Hertz, you might ask for the Mazda 5. It's a "compact" van that would have more than enough room for 4 adults and the luggage but isn't larger than a regular sedan. I believe it's in the same price category as the Taurus -- when I was in FL in April, I was offered a choice between the Taurus and the Mazda 5 and picked the Mazda. I drive a small coupe car and loved driving the Mazda -- it didn't feel big at all.

Used the space bags and big ziplock bags on a So.America cruise. But when you compress your clothing you have more space but watch your luggage weight (may add cost if your luggage is overweight). Make sure to use the space bags made for travel and not the kind you need a vacuum cleaner to suck the air out. Couldn't believe when our friend did that:rolleyes:.

Archived