Magens Bay,Coki Or Sapphire Beach,Which

Cappy

I would definitely vote for Magens Bay...it is beautiful...and Michael Jordan has/had a house on the hillside overlooking Magens Bay...he had his choice of where to build and he chose this location...restrooms and shower facilities too...hope this helps...Jake

You really can't go wrong with either of them. If I had my choice I would pick Megans Bay as well. Coki has the better snorkeling and Sapphire will have a few less people.

never Been To Coki,sapphire Beach Is Nice ,it Has A Couple Of Outside Bars Thats By The Hotels. They Have Live Music And Food! I Didn't Care To Much For The Beach But Had A Good Time With The Locals.that Was Up Where The Band Was!

Megans Bay, You Have To Pay 3 Bucks At The Gate And I Thing It Is Worth It. Real Nice Beach ,the Water Great And They Had Food Also But No Band. If You Get There In The Morning Its Nice By Afternoon Its Packed!

Either Place You Should Have A Good Time!

Hope This Helped! Have Fun................... :)

It's been a while since I went - 12-02 and 12-01, but suppose they stay the same. Coki has the little aquarium that's pretty nifty and a small beach that I went to on 1st trip. On 2nd trip, at Megan's, which a friend at work insisted was the very best, a bunch of us got a taxi to Coki and everyone liked it better - atmosphere mainly. It just seemed more laid back, I guess. At St. John's it was murky the day I was there and the surf was rougher - I just washed to shore. I explained to my new friends from the east coast that we always do that in Texas.

Depends on what you are looking for. If you want to snorkel go to Coki, the area to the left of the beach has lots or rocks for fish, there is food to be had and sometimes there is a live band. The beach can be crowded because it isn't as large as Magen's or some of the other beaches. Magen's is okay if you want to lay on the beach do some shopping and have something to eat. Both beaches have chair and umbrella rentals etc. and waitresses and waiters to bring you drinks, I love that part. Magen's doesn't have any snorkeling it's just a huge shallow bay for wading but it is beautiful. Good luck making a decision. Joan

We were at Coki Beach last Monday and had the best time. "The Mailman" was a realy colorful character who came onto the beach selling drinks. You would order then a few minutes (Maybe 5) later he would be back with them. His Pineapple Daquaris are the best I ever tasted and at 4.00 apiece (We tipped another $1 for each drink), they were a bargin. After the first one, you did not have to wait for 'The Mailman", he was right there if you wanted another. The water is crystal clear and you could snorkle all say. The beach was not as crowded as we were led to believe and we found places, beach chairs and an umbrella immediately. These people really cater to you and see you are comfortable. I will definately visit Coki Beach again on my next trip.

6-20-2004 Carnival Destiny

While we loved Coki Beach itself we found their changing facilities aka rest rooms to be terrible. The toilets were overflowing onto the changing room floor, the smell was awful and you tried not to think about what you were stepping in. :eek:

The toilets were overflowing onto the changing room floor, the smell was awful and you tried not to think about what you were stepping in. :eek:

This was exactly our experience at Magen's Bay!!

We spent a week in St. Thomas last April and next to St. John (Maho, Hawksnest, Honeymoon) we loved Coki Beach. One afternoon at the beginning of the week (before we even went to Coki) we decided to check out Magen's (we had been there a few years ago on a cruise excursion). We were there on a day when it wasn't crowded (only 1 ship in port) so it wasn't because of a crowd and we only ended up staying a little over an hour. To us, Magen's seemed somewhat dingy - the 'beach' part, not the view. There were too many trees dropping big brown leaves for our taste and the restrooms/changing rooms were foul. I can't imagine how it would be when there were more cruise ships in port. :eek:

Coki on the other hand is semi out of way, so it was never crowded the 3 times we were there. The snorkeling was great - you can purchase dog biscuits (4/$1.00) to feed the fish with ... the fish will swarm around you so even non-snorkelers can get a thrill - it's really neat! There is a hut (or two) where you can purchase food & drink - try the Strawberry margaritas - they are like thick Strawberry milkshakes - sweet, smooth and yummy!!!!) :cool: It's not a huge beach, but it's very 'comfortable'. Don't forget the underwater camera - great fishy opportunities!

Have fun!!! :D

73770692hwQhOL_ph.jpg

more Coki pics here on my webshots page ... http://community.webshots.com/album/73765006RcSMpb/0

Okay: if you want to see lots of Sgt. Mjr.s go to Coki, not too many other kinds of fish there but its' convenient and fun. There's good snorkeling at Saphire if you go way to the left. If you don't mind swimming out about 200 yards there is good snorkeling at Hull bay a little bit to the right of the beach. Just remember wherever you go that you don't leave ANYTHING on the beach that you won't mind having stolen. I can't tell you how many times people have come out of the water to find their camera etc. was on it's way to someone else's house. One other thing you might consider. If you are serious about snorkeling get yourself your own mask, fins and snorkel. One size mask does not fit all and nothing is more annoying than trying to swim with water leaking in around your mask. I like my own fins just because I know they won't rub my feet. The idea of putting someone else's mouthpiece in my mouth isn't too appealing and knowing that it has been soaking in some type of disinfectant isn't too great either. This stuff doesn't take up that much room; and be sure to put your mask in a non-crush container so you don't end up breaking the seal. Good luck Joan

I have been to Coki beach, it is an okay beach, but would much rather prefer Sapphire. Our cruise this past January we were the only ones at Sapphire except for one other couple. I loved it beautiful, relaxed, snorkeling I thought was much better than Coki and to me Coki was too crowded! As for our first time in St. Thomas everyone told us about Coki so that was where went. We never researched anything just went there. At that time there was 3 cruise ships in port and it seemed everyone headed to Coki beach was much too crowded for me. Magen's bay I have never been there, but from my aunt & uncles view they said it is just a picture taking beach once you have the oicture time to move on. So they ended up at Sapphire Beach with us.

I hope this helps in your decision making . . .

Kimmer

Went to Magen's Bay on the Wild Thing (boat) Had a great time and the beach is beautiful. Was not crowded at all. If you can do the Wild Thing do it...it is a blast. Definately for adults only though.

My vote would be for Coki. The snorkeling is good, the "Mailman" is fast with the drinks and you only need to ask and someone will watch your stuff. As for the bathrooms, yes they can be nasty but that is true for most beach bathrooms.

Archived