Considering St. Maarten ATV excursion: ADVICE NEEDED

My hubby and I are considering the ATV excursion on St. Maarten. We are both in our twenties and pretty active. My husband loves 4 wheelers and mini motorbikes etc. I have never been on an ATV before, but would love to try it. Before we commit to the ATV excursion offered by RCI I would love some advice from others who have tried it or have rented ATVs on their own there. Here are my questions: (I'll use lettering system to make easier for referring to questions in replies)

a. Do you get to see the whole island? or just a fair portion? or just the highlights?

b. Which beaches do they stop at and does the group really get a choice?

c. Do you get to see some things you might otherwise miss out on in a car rental?

d. Do they try to get you dirty just to get dirty? or are you getting dirty while REALLY having fun?

e. Would you recommend a change of clothes?

f. Where you exhausted afterwards, or did you have a beach or other area that you saw on the tour that you returned to on your own?

g. Is there a possibility of bringing a change of clothes and sandals for afterwards so you can go shopping or visit a beach without having to return to the ship?

h. What time range do the tours leave and return?

i. How did you do lunch? any places you recommend?

j. If you rented your own ATVs, were the roads safe for travelling by yourself or with your partner? Would you feel safe leaving the ATV parked while enjoying the beach or shopping? Were the ATVs good quality and safe?

Thank you for your responses. Any input is appreciated.

We did the ATV Excursion in St Marteen last year. To answer to your questions:

a. We really only saw a few of the highlights. Was met at the pier and transported by bus to where the ATVs were. ATVs were 125cc, automatic and we each rode our own. They are licensed for the highways. We headed out on the road over the mountain to the over side of the mountain, going thru residential, then along the beachfront where we stopped and took pictures. Then we headed thru a section of town which was poor (houses run down), leading you thru dirt roads and mud puddles to play in. Then onto a beach stop where you could relax and swim. They had soft drinks in a cooler at all of the breaks. Then headed back the same way to where we were first given our ATVs. Only got to see a small portion of the island.

b. Don't know the name of the beach and there was no choice.

c. No, do not see anything more than you would in a car rental. Would see much more and do much more in a car rental.

d. Only dirt/mud are in the mud puddles which are very shallow, according to how fast you want to go thru them. Will only get mud on your tennis shoes, socks, and some on your legs. Nothing major.

e. No need for change of clothes because of the dirt/mud. Will need swim trunks/bathing suit and towel for time at the beach.

f. Not exhasted at all after the ride, very easy going. Didn't have time after the excursion to return to any beach. Time to get on the ship.

g. No time to shop, after your bus ride back to the pier, time to get on the ship.

h. There was only 1 tour and can't remember the time.

Comments: Don't know if I would rent the ATVs myself, probably would be more apt to rent a car or a jeep. ATVs were good quality and safe.

I own 2 ATVs here (Honda 500cc) and ride alot in our mountains over easy to extreme trails. Thought it would be cool to ride along the beach, on the highway, to the beach, etc. That was the main reason we booked this excursion, for the excitement of the ATV sensation, and that would be the main reason to do this excursion. If you're wanting to see the island, go to different beaches, shopping, would not consider this excursion.

If you have any other questions/comments, please let me know.

Dave

Thanks a million Dave! I might just send my husband off by himself. I can always go on our friends 4 wheeler at home and I am more interested in seeing the island. My husband will probably love the ATV excursion though. I really appreciate your thorough answers. You've helped so much. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Angie

Dave -

I showed my husband your review and he is doing the ATV excursion. He wanted me to say thanks.

P.S. We saw you are from KY and I don't know if you are a fan of moto gp - but wasn't Laguna Seca awesome last year! We're hoping for a repeat!

My father, sister and I did this excursion last year and it was, by far, the most fun of the trip. They let you ride pretty much as you wish and don't seem to mind if you get a little crazy.

The stop at the beach seemed..useless...but other than that it was great. I don't recall the name of the beach other than I remember seeing naked people roaming around.

Pretty much anyone can go on this trip. Some older (60 yrs+) are going on this with us in December.

I will warn you though...if you are safety concious do not take this excursion. The helmets were labelled "NOT FOR USE AS A SAFETY DEVICE - NOVELTY ONLY". I have a few photos of this label...I couldn't believe they bothered to give them to us.

Oh one last thing...bring goggles made for riding or wear sunglasses. I am going on this excursion again and will bring some goggles.

Dave -

I showed my husband your review and he is doing the ATV excursion. He wanted me to say thanks.

P.S. We saw you are from KY and I don't know if you are a fan of moto gp - but wasn't Laguna Seca awesome last year! We're hoping for a repeat!

Glad to be of help. From what you said about your husband and his ATV entheusiam, I think he will enjoy the ATV excusion. Yes, Laguna Seca WAS awesome last year.

BTW. don't know how much of an ATV entheusiast your husband is, but we have a 7200 acre ATV Park in our County if he's interested. Honda came in last year and did a feature on our Park and was on their cover issue. Also, they rated us in the top 8 places to ride in North America acouple of issues ago. We are having the ATV National National Ride here next month. Have him check out our website at http://www.kyoutdoors.com.

Have a good cruise.

Dave

Archived