Beginner dive excursions

jshall

I'm looking for some feedback from anyone who has ever taken one of the non-certified scuba excursions. I am going to Playa Del Carmen and Cozumel.

What one would be better, if any? I've never scuba dived before and wanted to get some peoples opinions who have done this.

Thanks

This past January I took my 11 year old daughter on her first dive in Cozumel. We went thru an outfit in Chakanaab park(there are 4 of them). This is a shore dive sort of.You enter the water from shore and you go down several steps.It is about 8 ft deep along the whole shore (about 28ft deep away from shore)and anytime you want out, there are many stairways. There is even a cavern you can go in.My daughter loved it and she stayed in/under about 30 minutes.The dive master was with her every second!!.

Steve

JShall,

2 years ago my family (DH, DS - 10 yrs old at the time and myself) used Eagle Ray Divers in Cozumel. We did the Discovery Scuba Dive-we have never scuba dove before. This was the most wonderful experience that we have ever had. They take small parties of people (actually it was just the 3 of us scuba diving) and one instructor(Antonio - who owns Eagle Rays). Another family showed up before their scheduled time and Antonio asked if it was okay if they came with us - they were snorkeling. So Chellie (Antonio's wife) was with them. That was the best thing that could have ever happened. We all became fast friends and kept in touch for a while. (you can see pictures of us on the testimonals - I believe the last two testimonals )- this truely made our experience even more memorable. The actual discovery scuba started out on dry land - learning the basics then Antonio took us slowly into the water, before you knew it we were about 30 ft down. We did the two tank dive for about 110 pp. In fact we loved this experience so much that when we cruise again in August we are going to dive again with them. I am already booked and ready to go. You can find out more information about them at http://www.eagleraydivers.com.

Happy Sailing

Bettina

I agree with poster above.

I used Eagle Ray and loved them.I enjoyed it so much that I went on to try to get scuba certified.I was on my second to last dive for certification and had to abort due to a severe migraine :( .If it weren't for that I would have been certified.I still plan on finishing in the future(will have to start over but that is fine).

I loved them they were great.

Great people

Karen

jshal,

we have been to Chakanaab three times, one to snorkel and two to dive. We have used El Clavado (the middle of the three dive huts) Miguel Fuentes was our dive guide each time we dove and he was great! Very patient, very easy to understand and extremely safety conscious.! We are going back in November, and will definately hook up with him if possible. I believe it cost $50.00 per person for the intro. to scuba course, gear included. i think a second tank is $25-30. if you want a second dive. great people to deal with, We enjoyed the intro to scuba class so much that when we returned to the states, we received our open water certification. i have since recieved my advanced certification and dive medic certification. still enjoy and look forward to diving chakanaab whenever we are in Cozumel. if you have any questions, please post and i will be glad to answer any that i can.

Archived