Ocho Rios Jamaica

RisaNGnR

Well, I can't say I've been there on Princess, but when we were on vacation in Ocho we saw where the ships docked, and there is a nice shopping area right off the pier. There is Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville, and plenty of nicer shops. There is also and internet cafe, movie theater, ect. We were there almost 2 years ago, and the shopping are looked brand new. For a small amount, you can take of the taxis and go downtown for the bargain shopping with all the outdoor merchants. Have fun! booth

But is it safe? I've read many many scary things about walking around Jamaica...now I was there two years ago...took a Carnival tour and I had "no problem mon" but after ready these crazy things I'm a little learie of just taking off on a stroll around Jamaica for shopping....

Thanks so much for your input!

The shopping right off the pier is very safe, there were security personel outside the main entrance near the turnstiles (sp?) It was almost only tourists inside the shopping area. It's an open air mini-mall where all the shops face inward. You will be very safe in there, rest assured. booth

[COLOR=Magenta]The only problem I had were the people selling the stuff would come and grab your sleeve and say "Come to my shop, her shop is no good, mon." But a no thank you stopped them in their tracks.[/COLOR] :p :p

"Island Village" is right next to the pier in Jamaica. Safe shopping. It's kinda walled off from the city. Margaritaville is inside, and has a nice beach, restaurant, bar, pool, hot tub, waterslide, and gift shop. There are many shops in Island Village, along with a park in the middle.

Jamaica can be a tough place, but I have had great experiences in my 2 Ocho Rios visits. Vendors have an "in your face" kind of salesmanship, but most are not scary. They just have a different way of life there. I love Ocho and the people of Jamaica.

IF you are still worried, take a tour. Strength in numbers.

I agree, if you stay in Ocho Rios there are no problems walking to the shops and the vendors are just irritating not agressive. We didn't feel any less safe than any city in the US. I thought the shops, were actually not worth the trouble of walking to --- just tacky stuff.

[color=darkorchid]Hi RisaNGnr:[/color]

[color=darkorchid]Are you still cruising on the CP 7/31? If you are we've started a new roll call!!![/color]

[color=darkorchid]Also, the Jamaica Port has changed to Montego Bay instead of Ochos Rios. Check it out at [/color][url="http://www.princess.com/"][color=magenta]www.princess.com[/color][/url][color=magenta]. [/color]

[color=darkorchid]Suncat:cool: [/color]

Having visited Jamaica many times, I can agree with most of the posts above. The closest shopping is right off the pier as mentioned; however, if you go to the main street and turn left you will find a lot of additional shopping areas (Taj Mahal for example) just a short walk away. I wouldn't recomend walking in secluded areas at night there or in any other third world country, but while the ships are in port it is perfectly safe if you just use common sense. Yes, some are offended by the agressive tactics of some vendors (mostly in the craft markets), but the people are really very friendly and accomodating - just remember that the tourist trade is all they really have - it will not hurt most of us to leave a litttle of out cash behind.

Here's a useful tip for the Dunn's River Falls tour. THis is an excellent adventure - probably one of the best in the Carribbean. However, if you follow the exit signs back to the parking lot afterwards, you will be routed through the craft market, where the walkways are narrow and the vendors will try their best to sell you something. Instead of following the signe, just exit back through the entrance walkway and you'll get back to the parking quickly and without any hassle.

Archived