Cruising with other couples

Tinalou

Well this thread has an interesting title, doesnt it! :p Didnt know how else to word it!

Well...here is my question.

I have had someone tell me that "it is no good to go cruising with just yourself and your partner, that you need to go with another couple to keep it fun".

I was just wondering what everyone had to say about this. For those of you who just went with your partner, did you feel lonely or wish you had gone with another couple or someone else? Those that went in a group, did you find that you would have preferred to be just you and your partner?

I am a little worried as it will be just DF and myself on this cruise and I wonder if we will be lonely, or have trouble making friends as we're not really the sociable type in every day life, you know? More reserved....:o

Dont get me wrong, once people get to know us, they cant shut us up, but I guess I am just worried that we wont enjoy the cruise as this person told me, because its 'just us'.

What do you think ladies and gents? :)

Well this thread has an interesting title, doesnt it! :p Didnt know how else to word it!

I have had someone tell me that "it is no good to go cruising with just yourself and your partner, that you need to go with another couple to keep it fun".

I was just wondering what everyone had to say about this. For those of you who just went with your partner, did you feel lonely or wish you had gone with another couple or someone else? Those that went in a group, did you find that you would have preferred to be just you and your partner?

I am a little worried as it will be just DF and myself on this cruise and I wonder if we will be lonely, or have trouble making friends as we're not really the sociable type in every day life, you know? More reserved....:o

Dont get me wrong, once people get to know us, they cant shut us up, but I guess I am just worried that we wont enjoy the cruise as this person told me, because its 'just us'.

I went without my hubby but with my 2 daughters. We are a 'reserved' type of people but we found it easy to chat and be involved with others. If you are dining at a 8 or 10 table you will find you talk quite a lot with your fellow diners. We joined up with other 'couples' who were on their own, for the trivia quiz, bingo, even sharing a table on the deck when it was full, so there are many occasions you can chat if you want to but I wouldn't worry, you can still have as much fun as you want. I saw quite a few people who were single and spent time by themselves, some obviously enjoying just being alone. The craft type classes are a good way of meeting others too, like painting, quilling etc. My hubby is going on the next cruise so I am really looking forward to that.

I think I can answer this as I have done both.

I went on a 10 night cruise with my husband for our 20th wedding anniversary in Feb 2005. We had a fantastic time.. very romantic. We sat on a table of 10, who were also couples of the same age, and made great friends. We found we did alot together with the table friends; trivia, night time, we met up at certain events, etc, and also spent alot of time just the two of us.

The last cruise I went on was with my husband, another couple (who we shared the cabin with) and another cabin of my friends. Even though we went with friends we did alot of things on our own. It worked out really well, we did our own things and met on occasion to do things together. We all sat at the dinner table together which was fine, though it would have been nice to sit at another table to meet some new people every now and then.

I think you and your husband will have a lovely romantic time. If youre seated on a large dinner table you will meet and get to know new friends. I doubt you will ever feel lonely or wish you had brought another couple at all!

Hope this allays your fears!

Hi, We have done both. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. I liked travelling with another couple because in the evenings we had dinner together and then went to the shows together. It was also harder to do your own thing if you wanted too as you sort of felt obliged to do what the rest of the group did (there were 3 couples). The downside is we didn't mix as much with other people. We are going again in a couple of weeks on our own out of choice. Gayle

Don't worry Tinalu, you'll be fine & will meet lots of people. We went just as a family of 5 but as we hardly ever saw the kids most of the time it was just DH & I. We were lucky enought to meet up with fellow CCers & usually teemed up with them for trivia. As everybody else has said if you request a table of 8 or 10, that's a great way to meet people. We requested a table of 8 (we had oldest child dining with is) but after the 1st night we had to change to 1st sitting dinner because of teen activities. They were only able to put us at a table for 3 (actually 2 & stuck a chair on the end). It was the best thing to do for our son so we did it.Also, if you have brekky or lunch in the dining room they will sit you at a larger table with other people too & that will be different people everyday.

Karen

We have been on three just with us. We hardly saw each other and both of us got chatting with heaps of other people, of all ages. We even dined at different tables a couple of times as we had requested a table of 8 and once again got put with just two others, who were women. Not much fun for hubby and some nights he sat with another farming couple we got to know, some nights I joined them, some nights hubby came back to our table. You talk to soooooooooo many different people it is so much fun. Next trip rellies are coming too but I do not expect us to be in each others pockets and we will all do our own trips and interests I am sure. We talked to people that went with another couple and they felt they had to do what the others wanted all the time even down to shore tours. We do not mix much with others at home either and I think you enjoy it more maybe. There are so many different personalities onboard, that will keep you amused in itself. Go, and have fun, don't worry what other people say. People have said that to us as well, and when asked if they have cruised, the answer is usually no.

Hi Tinalou, we've always been on holidays with others including our 4 girls, so when we went to Asia we went on our own for 3 weeks. 2 weeks cruising and 1 week Singapore. I too was a bit worried but so looking forward to it. Well we had a fantastic holiday. I too was worried we wouldn't meet anyone but how wrong. We met some fantastic people and made some great new friends with whom we correspond with. It was one of our best holidays.

You will meet so many different people you will wonder what on earth you were worried about. I must tell you, on our second week my DH wondered who we would be "seated with this week" and when we walked in he nearly died. "OMG a table with oldies" and I have to tell you they were the most fabulous group of 4 "oldies" we've ever met. They were such fun, it was great. There was not one awful or uncomfortable moment the entire cruise and week in Singapore. In fact many people thought we were honeymooners!! We were effectively nicknamed "the honeymooners" even though we'd been married 16 years. lol lol

You will have a wonderful time so don't even worry about it.

Kerri

• 2 weeks later...

I travelled with hubby & another couple. We hardly saw each other, lots to do, and you find yourself chatting with everyone. We met up with our friends mainly at dinner, she was sea sick, her hubby did his own thing as did mine. I never felt lonely, found myself sitting with the same trivia group each day ( we finally won on the second last day). We met people in the library and played cards with them. My hubby was content doing what he wanted, all in all it was fine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Went with just husband in 2002 on Princess. 2nd night out met 2 other couples and just had a ball. Met at dinner. Just so happened to be put at their table.(open seating). We found out we were all going to the same shore excursion next day. They were great. Were with them the rest of cruise. Still keep in touch.

On the 2nd cruise 2004 -Celebrity, went with another couple. Very good friends. We had a ball. Went over what we wanted to do on cruise and excursions. Spent most of the time together. But we got along great. Always had someone to do things with. And if we didn't want to do the same things we went our seperate ways. Worked out great.... We seemed to party more and drink more and spend more money on our first cruise... BUT it might be because it was our first cruise. I think either way you go u have to be open for new adventures and meeting new people. On the 2nd cruise we didn't meet anyone we have kept in touch with. Going in Nov. this year and going with 2 other couples. Not the same couple as our 2nd cruise. So this will be different. Just don't feel like you are joined at the hip. Do your own thing. Everybody is not going to want to do the same thing. Be flexible. My husband & I love to snorkle...Other couples we are going with aren't too crazy about the idea. So we will go and they don't have to. They know this up front. So no hard feelings. They will do their thing and we will do the snorkling. I know we will have a blast. Even though we are all different we all get along.....Hope I helped you alittle. Just do what YOU want to do. ...KAT

Hi ladies and gents,

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences. It seems common that people make great friends when they cruise. DF is a very sociable person whereas I am more reserved but I guess I cant worry about it too much and just take each day as it comes.

Thanks again everyone and I would love to hear other's input. :)

Hi Tinalou

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage.

We are also sailing on the Pacific Sun N627 departing September 7.

Travelling will be myself, hubby & our son 11.

We are newbie sailors & after reading all the CC posts are sure it's gonna be faaaantastic.

Deb

Archived