Duct Tape, Collapsible Water Bottles, Hi-lite Pens, Anything Else?

mahreeya

Everyone talks about putting bottled water, soda, etc. in their bags. My husband has IBS & drinks pretty much only Gatoraid. I take one of those wheeled luggage totes with a case of Gatoraid and a couple of 6-packs of Diet Coke & a couple of water along with me when we board. No one has ever said a word. RCCL's rules state you can bring small amounts of non-alcoholic beverages with you.

Wow, what an amazing thread. I have a tip...in the cafe you can usually get iced tea and juice all day. However, the plastic cups are often very small. If I can fit it in my suitcase, I'm considering bring two 24 oz. acrylic tall cups from home. That way we can get some tea and then sit and relax on deck with it.

Also, if you are flying, pack anything in a squeeze tube in a ziplock. That way if your bag gets smushed, your toothpaste won't ooze all over the rest of your makeup. That goes for flip-top suncreen bottles, too. I came home from my last trip with sunblock all over everything.

Leela, you would be better off getting the short, squat travel mugs that hold about 20 oz. rather than the tall ones. These will fit under the spout easily to fill with juice, tea, coffee, etc. With the other type, I have had to partially fill the mug, then finish filling it with a cup from the counter.

If it hasn't already been mentioned, I like to take hand sanitizer - either a small bottle or individually wrapped wipes. This is especially good to take with you on your island excursions to sanitize your hands when needed.

- waist purse for island excursions for wallet, incidentals. It frees up your hands

- hanging soft-sided storage compartment thingy. You can fold it up easily and then hang it up in the closet. It holds lots of things like purses, shoes, sandals, etc. I found it in Wal-Mart a few years ago.

I guess I came to the right place. Lots of great ideas. I travel alot but this is only my second cruise. My 3 girlfriends and I travel to the Caribbean/Mexico every year so I have a great packing list for a hotel stay. I must admit that we worked very hard to have the most minimal list. It is hard to lug a heavy suitcase even on wheels through airports and hotels and deal with last minute changes, etc. It was pretty hard to leave most of our shoes behind (that was the most painful) but we really like being more relaxed and less fussy. We found we weren't using have the stuff we were bringing. We've sworn not to give each other a hard time about seeing ourselves in the same outfits constantly and we share toiletries and forego some of our usual beauty regimens to conserve precious suitcase space. One of the things I can't do without on my travels is what I call my "saddlebag" that I got from Eddie Bauer which I use instead of a purse. It goes over your shoulder around your body, has multiple pouches for passports, documents, pens, etc. a clip for keys, a hidden zipper compartment in the handle and a larger compartment for small paperbacks,etc. Everything is right in front of you. I like the lanyard for the ship key but my saddlebag is great for air travel. Thanks again, for the great ideas. I've found a few things I think I can add to my list.

Hey! Instead of having buttons to identify ourselves, do you think we each make up our own name badge of some kind (can be the regular sticker kind) with Cruise Critic, our user name and maybe our first name?!

Then we can get to know each other QUICK.

3pm..Schooner Bar!

Hey! Instead of having buttons to identify ourselves, do you think we each make up our own name badge of some kind (can be the regular sticker kind) with Cruise Critic, our user name and maybe our first name?!

Then we can get to know each other QUICK.

3pm..Schooner Bar!

Ooops...wrong forum

To keep your fine chains from tangling - open the chain and thread it through a straw and then reconnect it. That takes a whole lot less time to do than to try to untangle the thing.

Hey that's a great tip! Never heard it before. Thanks.

Buy postcards and mail them to yourself from each post you visit. You will have a small reminder of your time there and the out of country postmark.

Out of all the trips I've been on, I've never done this, I have no idea why - it's a great memento with the postmark. Thanks for this tip as well!

Hello,

I am an accident prone kinda guy :eek: (35 year old mtn biker/jock) one who......scraps, bumps, trips, slams, hits, bangs every body part.....you get it..........so every cruise, DW, packs the Gauze, extra bandaids, first aid little kit, and my knee brace(velcro) and elbow brace and ankle brace------all like $5 at Target....this way as soon as I trip or stumble, out comes the brace....:rolleyes: this helps me get around, and avoid visiting the doctor on board.

SO, pack up:

Nylon/gauze/ankle wrapping for sprains, strains, aches, trips and slips--they are going to happen, of course to me, alllllllllllllll theeeeeeeeeeee timmmmmmmmmeeee!

The Ehrkes from Chicago

Upcoming Westerdam 3/6/2005

We take a clock radio with CD player built in. Smallest one we could find. The walls are thin so a little in cabin sound helps when trying to sleep plus I would

hate to forget to set up the wakeup call. Seeing the clock reminds me to set the alarm just like at home.

We have searched high and low for Tide Tabs and Downy Wrinkle Release. Sounds like two products that will work well for our large family. Finally called P and G and they have discontinued both items. Any other great suggestions?

I found that you can order Downey Wrinkle Release online:

https://www.asseenontvnetwork.com/vcc/changingparadigms/downywrinklereleaser/128122/

HTH-

Lisa

With all the great items I've found on this list that I don't want to be without on my cruise, I decided to take large FREEZER ziploc bags and fill them with like items, i.e.: suntan lotion/burn gel/lip balm/etc. in one; lint roller/tide tabs/spot cleaner/wrinkle release in another; extension cord/night light/bungee cord/reading light in another, etc. The reason I go for freezer bags is that they are much stronger and have a place to write on them (where it won't come off). That way I label them and put them in a drawer or shelf or something and no one has to wonder where to find something. Also, if everything in one bag is used, or I can consolidate what's left into another, I've got extra ziploc bags! :rolleyes:

DH and I were grocery shopping last weekend, and we found a nifty little item to pack. It's a corkscrew with a wide flat plastic handle at the top, and a cone-shaped cover over the screw that has a rubber band around the center. The handle flips open to reveal a foil cutter. When the whole thing is assembled, you place the cone shaped portion in the opened wine bottle, and it acts as a stopper. The rubber band then acts as a seal. It was hanging on a random shelf in the supermarket, and cost $2. We also go camping a lot, so we will get a lot of use out of this. When we buy the shoe bag next week, this is going in it!

Take care,

Emmie

The disposable wipes!

I never leave home with out these, and considering DB is directionally challenged with a fork :eek: these are a must have on the cruise!……and they work amazing.

Also work well for those pesky deodorant stains, and getting tanning lotion of spf of cover-up or shorts. :rolleyes:

http://www.shoutitout.com/family_wipes.html

Archived