Which semi-sub is best?

tripman

I will be in Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel this summer. Each has a semi-sub, the Ocho Rios Semi-Sub, the Nautilus Semi-Sub, and the Cozumel Semi-Sub. I reserved all 3, but will probably only do one of them, which one is the best? or worst? Any information would be appreciated.

Are you talking about the "sub" that just goes a little ways down or are you talking about the "real" subs that go down 100 ft to the continental shelf? We took the Atlantis submarines in Cozumel and it was FANTASTIC - not to be missed. It was well worth the $80 it cost to do it and I am a cheapskate! :D They have them in Grand Cayman too but we did the Captain Marvin's snorkelling trip there (another highly recommended excursion).

The full submarine is more than twice as much as the semi-sub.

I've done the semi-sub in both Cozumel and Grand Cayman within the last year. I rate the semi-sub in Grand Cayman higher than the one in Cozumel. The one in Cozumel now shows you mostly the pier that was damaged in the hurricane. We saw more during the Grand Cayman excursion.

The "semi-sub" essentially is a glass bottom boat. It does not submerge. It has windows below the water line to view the sea bottom and fish.

We have done the semi and the Atlantis (real submarine). In our opinion (ours only) the real submarine is worth the extra cost. The experience of submerging to 100 feet below the surface and cruising along the bottom and through the reefs is wonderful.

If you book the Sub on the internet you save a bit.

Grand Cayman has the best views of all three IMO.

If you book online keep in mind the ship may not be able to visit GC (due to high winds, etc.) so this is one time I would book directly with the ship. Princess had to alter our schedule for the Atlantis sub at the last minute on our last cruise. We barely made it in time...:eek:

It depends what you want to do. We did the Atlantis sub trip at St. Thomas. It was amazing! Eash person sat looking out their own 28 inch porthole window. The reef and fish were great to see. I had snorkled before and this trip convinced me that I wanted to take up scuba diving. That was until the 12 foot shark swam by!!!! At that point I was glad that I was inside a million dollar sub.

I have done the Nautilus semi-sub at Grand Cayman. It is not just a glass bottom boat. True part of it is above the water. But the part below had big angled windows all the way down both sides. There were not too may people on board so we could run back and forth to see the better fish, etc. Then their diver took food and hand fed fish by the windows...big fish. Then we climbed up on deck, donned snorkle gear, and jumped into the water. Those fish stayed close by even though we did not have food. I tucked my fingers into my lifevest, just incase one of the fish was confused or still hungry. It was a great trip if you want to snorkle, too.

Atlantis is a true submarine with viewing windows and you go to depth of about 100 feet.. i.e. not if you are claustrophobic do you want this although I've done twice and LovED it.. the semi sub in Coz "used" to be great .. wonderful views of divers etc. but not sure if storms etc. have affected this view.. you could see "famous" plane wreck that divers go out to etc.

Thanks to everyone for offering their opinion, but I specifically asked about the semi-subs in ocho rios, grand cayman, and cozumel. The "SEMI-SUB", not the one that goes way way down, and not the one in St. Thomas, but the Semi-Sub offered in Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel...please tell me about THOSE.

You also didn't indicate if you are going on a cruise or just going there. Keep us updated on your exact needs...:)

I don't really know if that matters, I said where I was going to be and asked about the Semi Subs in each city. That question is specific regardless of if I'm on a cruise or not. But in all honesty, I would think that because this IS cruisecritic.com it would be fairly obvious that I will be on a cruise. Who else goes to Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel other than on a cruise?

So please, tell me about the semi-subs in those 3 ports, and yes, since I guess it makes a difference, I will be on a cruise.

Atlantis is a true submarine with viewing windows and you go to depth of about 100 feet.. i.e. not if you are claustrophobic do you want this although I've done twice and LovED it.. the semi sub in Coz "used" to be great .. wonderful views of divers etc. but not sure if storms etc. have affected this view.. you could see "famous" plane wreck that divers go out to etc.

We've done this too and I will add it may not be a good idea even if you are just a little claustrophobic. The sub was hot and stuffy and people are really packed in very close together. I've been inside an MRI tube with no problems, but this sub really, really bothered me. Such close quarters and all that water and knowing there would be no reasonable way out if something went wrong. And we saw the same varieties of fish that we saw when snorkeling in shallower water.

does the grand caymen semi-sub provide any chance to view the sting rays, and are there any opportunities for snorkeling from the semi sub (I am trying to find sting-ray viewing options that would be good for both my elderly mother as well as my active teenage kids)

TIA

What a VERY rude person you are. You ask for help but don't really clarify and then criticize those of us who do try and help you. You won't get any more answers from me for ANYTHING you ask about. Go fishing!:eek:

What a VERY rude person you are. You ask for help but don't really clarify and then criticize those of us who do try and help you. You won't get any more answers from me for ANYTHING you ask about. Go fishing!:eek:

What was there to clarify? I know stuff like this happens, so I was very specific about the Semi-Sub in each port, I called them by the name on the excursion description. I said it would be this summer. What other clarification do you need? I knew that people would start talking about other things and not answer my question. Then others would respond to them and so on and so forth, meanwhile, my question goes unanswered. It is very frustrating when this happens. I didn't ask about the Atlantis sub nor did I ask about them in other ports, I was very specific.

I just re-read my original question, and I still don't see the confusion. Maybe I'm missing something, please tell me what was confusing or unspecific about my question?

I really hate being difficult, but it is so frustrating when you are trying to get help on making a decision and everything strays right away.

Archived