Kids Program - offbeat question

Travelitis

Nope, I'm not going to ask what activities they offer or any of that other big stuff. I want to know if they protect a kid's clothing with any kind of smock when doing potentially messy (art?) projects. Basically, I want to know if I can dress my daughter cute, or if she needs to put on play clothes for the activities. I don't want to send her all dressed up, but I don't want her cute clothes getting destroyed, either. If they don't provide those, would they put one on her if I did?

Thanks!

Don't have specifics on kid's program, but I teach and I will tell you that it always amazes me how kids wearing a smock can still get paint on clothing & shoes! I have seen kids lift up their smock and wipe hands on clothes! Or impatiently touch a wet painting to see if it is dry (after the smock is off)--then--you guessed it--wipe hands on clothes!

I teach in public school where my Pre-Kindergarteners wear a uniform. If she is below 7, I would be careful that what she wears is washable. Also, I put a little liquid dish soap in paint before letting the kids use it--comes out of clothes (theirs and mine) better.

I did cruise with a 4 year old who went to Camp Carnival everyday. They don't allow adults in the rooms with the kids so I can't tell you if smocks were worn or not. However, I can tell you that our 4 year old returned to us in the same condition as when he was dropped off. His clothes were never stained with paint, glue, etc. Hope this helps.

I have sent my kids for the last 7 years and they do not come backing any worse than when they left.Dress your child comfortable, there is no formal day at camp.Let your child be a child and they will have the time of their lives.These camps are run very well.Even if your child gets a scratch there is a full report made.Even a bump on the head gets written up.Depending on your childs age will also depend on the age appropriate projects also.

Steve

So funny you should ask a question like this because I actually have a "beef" with whoever makes up the kids schedule of activities. My kids (8 & 6)went to the "coketail" party on formal night which was followed by dinner with the kids club which they loved, HOWEVER...the activity scheduled immediately after this when they went back to the kids club was to color a T-shirt with fabric markers. Well, it's an adorable t-shirt with Funship Freddy on it but of course my DS-6 got some of the marker on his cream colored dockers that I'd bought him just for this trip because he didn't own a pair of nice pants (we live in FL-it's too hot for pants!). Anyway of course they are FABRIC markers so they're made NOT to wash out of FABRIC. In hindsight, "T-shirt" coloring was written right there on the schedule after dinner so I guess it's my fault for not going to get him to change first. (DH & I were a little preoccupied with our OWN cocktail party & dinner!) I didn't complain but I do wish whoever made the schedule would have thought a little bit more about it. They could have done playstation time or sand art or something perhaps a little less "messy" after dinner. Oh well, just a "heads-up" (I hate that expression!) for you & anyone else cruising with little ones. Have fun & don't worry what she looks like as long as she's comfy!

They do not take measures to protect clothing! They use fabric markers, glue and other things kids love. I would advise sending your children in their play clothes...we made ours change out of their nice clothes anytime they were going to the camp.

Lilla

I have a 5 and 7 year old. They are always dressed up cute wherever they go on the ship. Including the kids area. And we have never had a problem. They have had their faces painted, painted t-shirts and pillowcases, and even made their own rubber balls. But I have yet to see one spot of anything on them. The people supervising your kid are college educated teachers. I know the teachers at school make you cover up. Why would things be different for a teacher on a ship? They probably do make you cover up. The problem is, some kids tend to get messy anyway. Kids will be kids. My girls are a llittle picky and like to look pretty. I think they try a little harder to keep clean and look nice. I have a friend whose little boy loves to get dirty. He enjoys it. If I were you, I would take my kids personality into consideration. Do they like to get dirty? Do they like to stay clean and pretty? Some kids can't stand a speck of dirt on them. So keep your kids personality in mind. If he tends to get dirty a lot, a smock probably won't help him and you might want to put something not so new on him. If your child likes to look nice, then dress him up and don't worry. We have gone on a lot of cruises and we have never seen one spot on our kids.

My dd likes to be all coordinated and dressed cute and accessorized right down to a matching purse. Of course I wouldn't send a purse to the Camp Carnival. She's just starting to get concerned about not getting stuff on herself, but she is a kid, and certain activities invite ruined clothes. At home I can quickly pre-treat, and I will be taking Spray n Wash with me for that purpose. I'm not talking about some overdone pageant kid. (sorry if that offends, but I'm pretty opposed to pageants and little girls in make-up) I'm one of those Gymboree moms who takes care of the clothes so they can be eBayed. Well, I guess I'll have to include an outfit or 2 that I don't care what happens to and just carefully read the activities. We're packing her cute clothes, dang it! (so many clothes, so few days in a week!) lol!

Archived