Finally Booked!

Cardinal999

Well I’ve finally done it. Yesterday I booked myself and my partner on the June 4th 2007 Westbound TA crossing on QM2.

I know it seems a bit silly to start a new thread for this, especially as it’s still over a year away, but I’ve been waiting most of my life to do this and I can’t tell you how excited I am already!:D

I must say that I had no idea what the most suitable grade of cabin would be (although financial constraints limited how much choice we had) and perhaps more importantly, whereabouts on the ship would be best to go for, but having read a lot of useful information posted on this message board I think we’ve made a good choice. We’re in cabin 5136 on the port side so as to get the most out of the sun, and mid-ships to avoid excessive movement in rough seas, and which also appears to be away from any public rooms and thus the potential associated noise. It’s also a reasonable distance from the nearest lifts in order to (a) be far enough away to avoid noise yet (b) also be near enough for easy access, and it’s not a connecting cabin which again avoids potential noise issues. As it’s a B2 grade it has an in-hull balcony and so still affords some outside space and plenty of light whilst providing some protection from the inevitable wind (it just didn’t seem justifiable to pay extra for a full glass-sided balcony when it’s pretty redundant on a TA crossing). All these plus points were learnt from visiting this community so a big ‘thank you’ to everyone!:)

I know most of you have made the crossing on QM2 (or even QE2) at least once, if not several times before and so the initial ‘first-time’ novelty wore off some time ago (although I appreciate that the novelty of subsequent voyages probably doesn’t really diminish as such), but I can’t even begin to convey how much it will mean to me, and it may well be the only opportunity I have to do it – a real once-in-a-lifetime event! The only down-side to it is the fact that the ship now docks in Brooklyn rather than Manhattan; this is a real shame as the iconic journey up the Hudson was always going to be the ultimate part of the experience which I’ll now probably never get to do. I suppose I should just be grateful that I’m making the trip at all, and at least I know I’m in good company here and can be as over-excited as I like without feeling out-of-place!:)

Anyway, I’d better go away and calm down now otherwise I’ll burn myself out!:D

Regards,

Antony

Congrats Antony! I am jealous.

I'm on my first ever QM2 venture this December but alas it will be a Caribbean cruise rather than the full TA - which is something I would love to try one day. Fortunately for me this cruise is actually one day longer than a full TA. Also, in-hull balcony - 4th deck. Sounds like you made a good choice.

So who cares if its a year away. You have plenty of reason to be excited and we love to hear the excitement generated from new cruisers. We'll all do the booking jig with you.

Antony...don't feel silly for your excitement even a year early. The anticipation is part of the fun and just think of all you'll learn over the next year from reading these threads. We've been booked on the same Dec 2nd cruise as Bramcruiser and our Roll Call for that trip has been going strong since early last Dec! You'll find lots of helpful people here so just remember there are no silly questions. It's my first trip on the QM2 as well and I share your total excitement for her.

Definitely read the old thread on here called "what not to miss on the QM2" if you haven't already. It's full of people's favorite things and places on her and will really feed your enthusiasm. I've been cutting and pasting ideas from it since last fall when we booked!

Congratulations on your great choice....a crossing is one of those special things. And welcome to the Cunard forum. Cheers, Penny

Congratulations. If you have any questions, please ask. Somebody will know the answer or know how to find it. I did my first crossing last year and liked it so much I'm going back this year and staying aboard for the Med cruise.

I feel your excitement Anthony, and well understand it. I just booked my husband and I for a round trip in Aug/Sept 2007. This will be our 5 and 6th trip and I am excited just as if it was our first. Thinking and planning is part of the fun so enjoy!

By the way we will be in cabin 5136 which is across from you on the Starboard side. I booked through Cunard ( as I usually do) and it was the pleasant young man that assisted me that recommended that area,for just the reasons you mentioned.

Antony,

It's been a year since I booked our first TA for this August. You'll be suprised how fast the time goes. I started planning our trip in 2004. I, too, was disappointed to learn of the move from Manhattan to Brooklyn after I booked but I think that is just a minute detail in the over all picture. Penny (patwell) is right! You get a lot of information reading through these post, sometimes too much. I've learned a lot and I think it has really helped me in making certain decisions.

I will posting when I return with my experiences.

I don't think I've been as excited about anything else in my entire life, except my marriage, which I will be celebrating 30 years on the QM2.

Best regards,

Sue

Thanks all!

By the way we will be in cabin 5136 which is across from you on the Starboard side.

Sounds like exactly the same cabin to me, DocM3!;)

I've had a good trawl through the "what not to miss on the QM2" and it's been a fascinating and worthwhile read!

Regards,

Antony

I always tell hubby that the excitment is part of the cruise and therefore if I don't reveal in the excitment before hand, I'm not getting my money's worth! Now we've never had enough control to book so far ahead. I suppose the one we waited for the longest was the cruise to Brazil last year. I booked in January and we left in November. It's still incredible to think about being on the Amazon river!

Our first TA and first time on Cunard will be June 9th, 2006, only 1 week away. This one we stumbled upon just about 3 weeks ago. Sounds like a total adventure between crossing the Atlantic and seeing several places in Europe that we never got to while we lived there.

I'm just hoping from the jeans thread that we aren't going with a lot of people stuck on themselves. I know there are these type of people everywhere but I swear that ship we were on collected them! This happened on the Brazil trip which is the only cruise we've ever been on where we actually saw passengers fighting (mostly verbal but some physical) on almost a daily basis because each thought they were God's gift to the world and everyone else was scum. We are just simple people out to travel as much as we can afford before we have to push each other in wheelchairs.

Well I’ve finally done it. Yesterday I booked myself and my partner on the June 4th 2007 Westbound TA crossing on QM2.

Regards,

Antony

Ship mate! I'll be there also. Starboard side, deck 10.

And no, it's not too early to start talking about it. (smile)

Pbrown,

You will have a fabulous time! Please do not forget that a lot of these threads are tongue in cheek.

Thats the beauty of Cunard, Stodgy British humour with a glint of....um...I don't know what you call it... (Don't ask the Brits....) >=]:rolleyes:

Actually, they are great! Embrace their humour..they're a rip!

Archived