Hurricane Questions - Insurance, etc

There is a potential Cruise Critic Group cruise forming that will feature Bermuda and the Caribbean on August 3, 2007. I am interested should this group form but, I am concerned about hurricanes.

Does anyone know what happens if a hurricane is threatening the areas that planned ports of call? This would be a 9 night cruise on Explorer from Bayonne, NJ. The ports of call are Bermuda and the Eastern Caribbean.

Also, does insurance cover cancelling due to a hurricane? If so, how does that work? Do we just get credited for anothr cruise or do we get a full refund?

Lastly, what happens if a cruise is cancelled due to a hurricane and, you don't have insurance?

Thank you ever so much for any information you can provide.

There is a potential Cruise Critic Group cruise forming that will feature Bermuda and the Caribbean on August 3, 2007. I am interested should this group form but, I am concerned about hurricanes.

Does anyone know what happens if a hurricane is threatening the areas that planned ports of call? This would be a 9 night cruise on Explorer from Bayonne, NJ. The ports of call are Bermuda and the Eastern Caribbean.

Also, does insurance cover cancelling due to a hurricane? If so, how does that work? Do we just get credited for anothr cruise or do we get a full refund?

Lastly, what happens if a cruise is cancelled due to a hurricane and, you don't have insurance?

Ports of Call are subject to change due to weather. The past two years it was a frequent "habit" during the hurricane sessions. Once the cruise is underweigh...weather dictates where you will go. The ships do tend to stay away from the storms. Cruise lines will alter destinations and at least try to make the pax happy.

As stated in the previous post (assuming I get this posted in time to be "next":D) the itineraries will change if the ship sails. If it does not sail then you will be issued a refund or a cruise credit. If it is a cuise credit RCI "usually" will also sweeten the pot with on board credit or possibly an upgrade.

The importance of insurance is in the case that the ship sails and you cannot make it to the port due to an airport or highway being closed along your route, preventing you from making the sailing. At the very best you can hope for in this case is a 50% towards another cruise. Insurance will reimburse you to a large degree. You can get hit by some idiot when you pull out of your driveway on the way to the airport/port. We came as close as you can get to missing a cruise (last two people on board the ship 4 1/2 after it was supposed to have sailed) and we would have lost over $2000 if we had not made it. We did not have insurance that trip. We will never book a cuise again without having insurance. It is too small of a price to go through that agony again!

As stated in the previous post (assuming I get this posted in time to be "next":D) the itineraries will change if the ship sails. If it does not sail then you will be issued a refund or a cruise credit. If it is a cuise credit RCI "usually" will also sweeten the pot with on board credit or possibly an upgrade.

The importance of insurance is in the case that the ship sails and you cannot make it to the port due to an airport or highway being closed along your route, preventing you from making the sailing. At the very best you can hope for in this case is a 50% towards another cruise. Insurance will reimburse you to a large degree. You can get hit by some idiot when you pull out of your driveway on the way to the airport/port. We came as close as you can get to missing a cruise (last two people on board the ship 4 1/2 after it was supposed to have sailed) and we would have lost over $2000 if we had not made it. We did not have insurance that trip. We will never book a cuise again without having insurance. It is too small of a price to go through that agony again!

Excellent advice. Thank you ever so much!

Archived