Ok we've got the car now where to go?

nikita

We rented a car for our 7am-4pm stay on Grand Cayman - now we'd like suggestions about where to drive it. We'd probably like to do a bit of snorkeling and would like to get out of the touristy section by the pier. Do you suggest that we do the same route as the jeep tour that stops in Rum Point? Thanks - we are open to all suggestions.

I don't really know where to tell you to go since I was only there one time, but just wanted to let you know that you are really brave! There are some pretty tricky traffic patterns in Grand Cayman- especially in town (Georgetown). We had a hard time even crossing the streets in some places because of the cars coming from all directions plus driving on the "wrong" side of the road.

You probably know all this already, I just know that when I was there, driving was the last thing I wanted to be doing!:p Good Luck!

I don't really know where to tell you to go since I was only there one time, but just wanted to let you know that you are really brave! There are some pretty tricky traffic patterns in Grand Cayman- especially in town (Georgetown). We had a hard time even crossing the streets in some places because of the cars coming from all directions plus driving on the "wrong" side of the road.

You probably know all this already, I just know that when I was there, driving was the last thing I wanted to be doing!:p Good Luck!

Believe me it would be the last thing "I" would want to do too - but DH has driven everywhere around the world and is very brave. He did the left side of the road with me in Australia years back - I dont even drive the freeways in the us I'm such a chicken. Also I've been told that the traffic isn't bad at all once you are outside St. George the touristy area - all you have to know how to do is manuver around those roundabouts - which we have around where we live anyways (but I hate them!) So hopefully it will be an enjoyable day!

We were just there for a week, and we had some concerns about the traffic and driving, but don't. The Cayman drivers are very friendly...and traffic does not move that quickly. We found that someone always let us in (if traffic wasn't moving-which happened a lot on the 7MB stretch). Also, when you let somone in, their way of saying "thanks" is a quick honk, sometimes a wave. I would probably avoid the port area as much as possible. We made the mistake of trying to drive through there a couple of times, and the people were just everywhere.

The good think about Grand Cayman is you can go anywhere on the island an feel completely safe. And it's very hard to get lost, since there aren't that many main roads on the island.

As for what to do...well, if you want to see the 7MB area, then early would be better. You could scoot down the road and then turn around and head out of town. I don't know what time Hell and the turtle farm open, but we loved driving up and down West Bay Road looking at the hotels and condos, and the beach. With a car, you can stop along one of the many pull-offs (most are past the Ritz), and see the beach. There is a cut-though down that way, which takes you around the port area. It's a fairly big intersection, so you might think about using that if you want to get out of that area quickly. Even if you don't know where you are going, there aren't that many streets. I would imagine your rental company will give you a map.

But if it were me, I spend most of my time on the other side of the island. I'd head toward Savannah, Bodden Town and the East End. You can either cut across Frank Sound Road and go to Rum Point, or you can continue and take the longer way around and visit the East End. We did both. If you drive to Rum Point (using Frank Sound Rd.), and don't stop for anything, it's about a 45 minute drive. You just have to look for Frank Sound Road. It's not a major intersection or anything. It's just a two-lane road with a stop sign. A couple of times we missed the road because we were yakking. But if you get to East End, you know you've missed it...that's what we did. :)

Over on that side are the blowholes. There also the Lighthouse Restaurant. The blowholes are either right before that or after...I can't remember exactly. There a little covered area with a picnic table right across from the blowholes.

The Botanic Garden is on Frank Sound Road. Pedro Saint James historic site is between Savannah and Bodden Town. While you are in the Rum Point area, keep driving past RP. There is a really neat area with a lot of beautiful homes. There's also a beach there...but we didn't stop.

If you need snacks, there's a Hurley's as you leave GC. It's in a yellow building-I believe-but it in a shopping center with an assortment of stores. There are also other little stores along the way.

We stopped and got gas in one of the little towns, and someone filled our tank for us. I think I gave him a couple of dollars for doing this. But, you won't be pressured to give anything to anyone, nor will anyone hound you on this island.

Just remember that you need to ask what the price is in US dollars (all the cash registers did this with a punch of a button). US is 20% higher than Cayman. And most restaurants and bars will add the 15% tip on automatically. If the service was good, we added an additional 5-10%.

If you are looking for souviners...you need to stop at Pure Art. It's about a mile out of town (to the right of the cruise area). They have some of the neatest local artists work. Here's their website... http://www.pureart.ky/

Just remember...those in the roundabouts have the right-of-way. I think the signs say "give way" as you are entering.

Have a great time!! :)

Twinkletoes4445 - thanks so much for the detailed post. I'm going to print it out and take it with us! You are so kind to take all the time to help us out. I'm sure we will have a great day now that we know where to go! thanks again!

Twinkletoes4445 - thanks so much for the detailed post. I'm going to print it out and take it with us! You are so kind to take all the time to help us out. I'm sure we will have a great day now that we know where to go! thanks again!

You will have so much fun. There are so many pretty places that you can just pull off the road and enjoy. I was a bit worried about driving on the island, but found that I shouldn't have been. We really loved the East End area. It's more tropical and more "islandy" where George Town is so touristy.

I forgot to mention that there is a place over by Rum Point where you can snorkle and there are supposed to be lots of starfish. I don't know the exact location, but I'm sure someone will help you with the exact location. The next time we are in GC, we're going to look for the place.

Our rental car had the steering on the left (which is what we were used to). It was easier for us to use a car set up like this.

George Town is such a madhouse...you won't believe how relaxing and tranquil your day will be once you get out of town. :)

Have a great time! :)

If you decide to go to Rum Point...which I highly recomend, ask one of the people working with the water toys where the beach with the star fish is.

They will point down the beach to a row of palm trees. Very short ride 3-5 minutes away. Without snorkel stuff we found over 50 within minutes. There was maybe 10 other people there.. this was one of the best days of our cruise.

If you decide to go to Rum Point...which I highly recomend' date=' ask one of the people working with the water toys where the beach with the star fish is.

They will point down the beach to a row of palm trees. Very short ride 3-5 minutes away. Without snorkel stuff we found over 50 within minutes. There was maybe 10 other people there.. this was one of the best days of our cruise.[/quote']

Thanks for this info. I wish we would have taken the time to look for this area, but now I know who to ask for when we are back there in January. :)

If you decide to go to Rum Point...which I highly recomend' date=' ask one of the people working with the water toys where the beach with the star fish is.

They will point down the beach to a row of palm trees. Very short ride 3-5 minutes away. Without snorkel stuff we found over 50 within minutes. There was maybe 10 other people there.. this was one of the best days of our cruise.[/quote']

Thank you for this information! That sounds so cool and something we would be very interested in seeing. You are all so great to share!

• 2 weeks later...

I would also like to rent a car and drive to rum point, since we've already done the stingray thing on a previous cruise. I cant recall though are there rental car companies waiting there when you get off the shop/at the dock? All I remember is numerous private tour companies trying to get you to book with them there. Or should I just set up a rental ahead of time?

We rented a convertable from andy's....avis did not have anything available. Called Andy's from cell phone while tendering in, they met us at the church across the street from the port. Short van ride to their office...most of the paperwork was already done. Very easy process...would do it again in a heart beat.

We did not take a change of clothes with us so the seat was damp when we turned it in....they charged us extra. We had such a great day it didn't bother me at all. So...take a change of clothes or maybe a jeep would not have cloth seats

• 5 weeks later...

Is there a link for Andy's?

We are really thinking we want to rent a car, but we will have our 2 yr. old with us. Are car seats available? Are they required in Cayman?

Also, has anyone driven to the turtle farm?

Thanks!

Jeannene

http://www.andys.ky/

We rented from Andy's when we were there this past January. We picked our car up at the airport, but I know they have a location along 7MB (next to Coconut Joe's restaurant-a favorite of ours). I don't know about car seats, but I would imagine they are law there. You might check and see if they have car seat rentals. I also believe I have read that they will pick you up and drop you off in the port area.

If you go to the Cayman Activity Guide dot com(I think you have to register), they have all sorts of coupons, and one is for Andy's. I think we saved 10% (or maybe 20%).

Driving in Cayman is quite easy. Our car was set up like a car here in the US. It made it easier to navigate since we knew where everyting was located in the car. As for the traffic...the speed limits are quite low, so you just toodle along. We had no problems driving the week we were there.

We went to the turtle farm while we were there. They have a new parking lot (good sized) and then we drove over to the rum cake factory (which is across the street and up a bit) and we stopped at Hell for a bit.

You really can't get lost there...there aren't that many roads. The week we were there we drove all over the island. I don't think there was a road that we didn't drive on...and the island is very safe, which is nice. Just use the normal precautions you use anywhere you go, and you'll be fine.

What is nice about having your own car is you can stop and expolore wherever you want. :)

Andy's was really nice to work with. There were six of us, and I'd reserved an SUV. When we got there we weren't sure all our luggage would fit in the SUV. They waited while we loaded it up to see if it would fit (it did), and if it didn't, they were going to help us get to the condo or get us a bigger vehicle.

Enjoy your day on Grand Cayman. It's one of those rare islands that you can drive anywhere, and feel safe. Once you head out of the port area (toward 7MB), if you need groceries, you'll pass a Kirk's grocery (on your right), and if you keep going, there's a Foster's grocery at The Strand. To get to The Strand (it's an area with a few shops), you turn right when you see The Meridian. I don't recall there being a stop light, but if you go a block or two, you'll see it on your right.

There's also a cut-through that will bypass town if the traffic gets to clogged and you want to go to the other side of the island. They gave us a map of the island. There really aren't that many roads...so it's really hard to get lost. And there are signs posted to direct you to Hell and the turtle farm.

When we were there, there was a restaurant over by the turtle farm that we were going to eat at. I think it was the Cracked Conch, but it was still under repair from Ivan. It may be open by now. I've read a lot of nice things about the restaurant. One thing about the restaurants is that everything is casual. We wore shorts or capris everywhere we went...

If you are interested in local artists, there is a shop that we found that was wonderful. It's called Pure Art and it's about a mile out of the port area (toward the right). We found all sorts of neat things there. It was our favorite shop.

Here's their website...

http://www.pureart.ky/

We're using Andy's when we go back next January. Glad it worked out for you. :)

Archived