Tipping rates for children

yemmer

Yes. I know our steward has more to contend with because we have two munchkins (and all of their stuff) in the cabin, than he would if it were occupied by two adults. Not to mention, two more beds to make and more towels to deal with...I spend time each morning "picking up", but still...there's the sea shell collection drying and the artworks brought back from camp...Plus, they deliver the cookies and chocolates!

Then, there is the waitstaff, who not only remember to have milk, a coloring book and crayons for each of them at our table every night, but also take the time to single the kids out for extra-special attention, and are particularly sensitive to the timing of the courses.

In our experience, the camp counselors do not get a cut of the overall tips. We always tip them directly the last night. Honestly, they are the reason we keep coming back to cruising - they, singlehandedly, turn a trip into a vacation!

Happy cruising!

Heck, we actually tip more for our kids. On Liberty last fall, they had their own cabin. They piled sheets and pillows into "forts" on the floor; on a particularly rough sea day, they both threw up all over their beds; they littered their floors with their dirty clothes, drawings, crayons, books, etc. Where were the parents? :rolleyes: :D

And at dinner, the poor waitstaff had to remember that so-and-so doesn't like orange cheeses, so-and-so only drinks chocolate milk, but her brother only drinks regular, etc. etc.

My girls take up more of the staff's time - both room steward and wait staff; plus all the behind the scenes people who clean up the floor after they eat, drop a cup on the floor near the pool, etc., etc., so I am also in the group that tips more for my children.

Best,

Mia

I agree with the previous posters' comments. In addition, the staff has always gone out of their way to treat my DD like a princess. Whether it's making sure she has what she wants to eat (to the point of pouring the ketchup on her plate for her) and surprising her with special items or meeting her in the hall and asking her about her day (and patiently listening!).

Though I straighten up after the kids, I know that there's more work involved than if they were adults. We also usually tip extra--especially when we bring both girls and they have their own stateroom.

Cheers!

Jayne

I agree with the above posters, children are more work for the staff. It is alot easier to wait on adults than children. There is more mess, they have to have more patience (because the parents will ask their children 3 or more times what they want to eat) etc. I have always tipped more when I had my daughter with me.

• 2 weeks later...

How much do you usually tip the counselors in the kids club? We are sailing on RCCL and I understand they are allowed to accept tips? But I have no idea how much. Also does it go into a "pot" for all the club staff? So if there was a certain one who DD really likes can I give him/her a little something individually? Thanks!

How much do you usually tip the counselors in the kids club? We are sailing on RCCL and I understand they are allowed to accept tips? But I have no idea how much. Also does it go into a "pot" for all the club staff? So if there was a certain one who DD really likes can I give him/her a little something individually? Thanks!

On Carnival there's usually a box outside Camp Carnival on the last day (the day before debarkation). My understanding is that the tips put into the box are split among the staff. We usually have a card for my DD to sign. We address the card to the counselor who's in charge of DD's age group. The tip goes in the card and I add a little note asking the counselor in charge of DD's age group to split it up amongst the other counselors in her age group. I don't know if that gets done or if all of the tips are pooled and then split.

As far as how much, it depends on how much time DD spends in Camp Carnival. When we cruise with our older daughter, the two girls are together a lot and the youngest doesn't spend as much time in Camp, so it'll usually be $20-$40. If it's just the three of us, and DD goes everday to Camp Carnival, I'll put in $80 to $160 (dependent upon how much time she spent and what her comments have been about the staff--I can easily tell how the staff have been with her by the comments she makes when she tells me about her time there). But, I've never had any guidelines on that, it's just what "feels right" to me.

Hopefully others will respond to give you a better idea of what's typical.

Hi Everyone:

I know each cruise line is different so I just looked on the NCL website. NCL is freestyle dining/cruising so that means different waiters and different resturant choices. The Room stewards have been the same in our times on NCL. They automatically charge adults 10.00 per person per day and for kids age 2-12, it is only 5.00 per person per day for the gratuities.

We always tip more than the automatic since we have never had any problems and found the resturant and hotel staff great.

As far as the camp counselors are concerned, we give extra to the Kids Crew staff as they are not part of the pooled tips on NCL. Our vacation would not be a vacation without this program....the kids love it! They choose to go and we actually get some adult time on a family vacation with no worries!

In my experience, the staff on NCL have been wonderful with my kids, age 8 and 11 now. This summer will be their 3rd cruise! As adults, we have been on other lines and really enjoyed ourselves. I am sure we will try others with them as well.

Archived