Final Question on Bringing Drinks on Board

Ok I know I might catch some flak for this because I know it has been a hot topic recently, but I have to know. Are you allowed to bring any drinks of any type with you at all on your checked baggage? Can you bring soda? Bottled water? Anything? Is it really neccessary to hide the booze or disguise it as mouthwash? Will they really find it if I place it in my luggage? Lastly, what is the worst they will do to us if they find it? Confiscate it or throw us off the ship?

I really do not need the booze that badly and really don't want to hang out in my small room very long to drink it. I really just want some soda but we might take a bottle of wine for before dinner etc.

Thanks;)

Oh, you dreamer to think this will be the final question (even if you mean yours)!!! On my 5/21/06 first cruise, I packed two bottles of wine in bubble wrap in the middle of my checked luggage and enjoyed them on the balcony during the course of the 6-day cruise. The steward brought a larger ice-bucket for the sparkling wine, kept it iced for three days, and even (unasked), brought a proper flute to use for it. I always pack openers for still and sparkling wines and stoppers for each. I had the Pinot Noir with a "picnic" I brought back from the Ferry Bldg. Marketplace in San Francisco, out on the balcony, looking at the Golden Gate Bridge 'til sunset and sailaway.

No hassle and no guilt, either.

I really do not need the booze that badly and really don't want to hang out in my small room very long to drink it. I really just want some soda but we might take a bottle of wine for before dinner etc.

Thanks;)

I know you will get various answers to this questions, but here is my take. I did take 24 cans of Diet Mt. Dew on the ship, carefully packed in my checked luggage (they only have Coke products on board, and I have to have my Dew).

Upon boarding, our room attendant (without asking) saw the soda and emptied out the mini fridge so that I could keep it all cold (the fridges do not get very cold by the way, you will need ice).

The people I was travelling with, did also pack two bottle of a local wine in their checked luggage with no issues or comments.

Like you said, the worse that could happen (and I doubt it would) is that they take it and hold it till the end of the cruise.

From what I have heard from many other cruisers, the same level of success can not be had if the bottles are stored in your carry on luggage, they tend to review these contents a little more thoroughly.

For the record, they are a little more thorough about Liquor or wine that you buy at ports, they will confiscate it until the last night on board.

Hope this helps.

Hi David:D If I would of known you had diet dew I would of begged you for a can. I could not find a can of diet dew anywhere in the Caribbean. I was finally able to get my fix in the town of Hell. It was the one and only can.

Carrie;)

Hi David:D If I would of known you had diet dew I would of begged you for a can. I could not find a can of diet dew anywhere in the Caribbean. I was finally able to get my fix in the town of Hell. It was the one and only can. Carrie;)

Hi Carrie

How are you. I have been thinking about Donna and you and hoping that all is well. Check back in over at our Mariner site, we are still posting almost daily.

If I had known you were a Diet Dew lover like myself, I would have gladly shared, I ended up leaving many on board at the end of the cruise because Connie and Mike bought so much liquor, I didn't have room in luggage to get it off the ship or store it in the back of the SUV.

In retrospect, the extra 10 lbs it added to the suitcase probably was not worth the effort or space. In the future I'll just buy the darn soda card and drink the diet coke for the week. Plus this was only a luxury I could afford because we drove to Florida. If I had to fly, it would have been impossible.

Anyhow, many of the gang from the Mariner cruise are planning a reunion cruise in Nov. 2007. We are tentatively planning a cruise on the Radiance with a depart date of Nov. 24th. I know this is the same itenerary that you and Donna are doing this year, but we would love to have you join us.

Give it some thought.

Talk to you all later, give Donna and Bonnie a big hug for me. Tell Keith hello also.

Dave

Archived