A Guide for Santorini?

You honestly do not need a guide in Santorini - beautiful island, take the cable car up and enjoy every minute. Get a book about the island and see what you want to do, but it is very small, and magnificiently beautiful. A glass of wine - (we loved our lunch at the Sphinx - $$$$).. - and soak in the island...

Having just returned from a cruise to Santorini, I agree with "indycrew."

We took the cable car up to the top, walked two blocks, and rented a car. There were several agencies, one was National I believe, and the car we rented was even an automatic. We leisurely drove to Santos Winery for a picnic lunch, and to enjoy the spectacular views from there. Then it was an easy drive to Oia. With only two other ships in port that day, the roads were not at all crowded. It was a great place to explore on our own, and I envy you, Santorini is breath-taking.

Skyboy, everything I have read about this port tells me hiring a guide is, quite frankly, unnecessary. Plan to relax, sip your beverage of choice, walk around, shop a bit, play the stereotypical tourist to the hilt. I think Celebrity chose this port to give us a break amid all the rush-rush-rush ports we will be seeing.

We have just returned from the Celebrity Med Cruise. We did the same cruise 3 years ago and on Santorini we did the ship's tour of Fira, etc. This time we wanted to see the southern part of the island and we hired Dimitrios Nikolaidis as a private driver. We spent the morning wandering around Fira - the teenagers shopped and we took it easy. Then we met Dimitrios at a pre-arranged spot and spent 5-6 hours touring the island. We went to Profitis which is the highest point of the mountain, Oia, visited a winery, stopped many places along the way to see the black beach, then the red beach. We stopped for lunch in a little cafe by the beach - great food. Nothing rushed. He kept saying - take as long as you want. There were 10 of us so we had a mini-bus.

We all agreed that Dimitrios was one of our favourite guides on this trip. He has a great sense of humour - including telling the kids to be quiet when he spoke and he would be quiet for them later!

His contact information is info@oceanwavetours.com and if you do decide to see more of the island than is included in the distance you can walk, I feel very comfortable recommending him.

We rented a car and explored the island for the day. I used the info on http://www.frommers.com/destinations/santorini/1647010001.html for guide material.

In response to "Cruise or Lose" - I would recommend going beyond Fira - there is so much to see on this island and such incredible views that it would be a shame to spend the day just in Fira.

While "doing your own thing" may be easily possible on Santorini, if you are like we, this may be the one and only time you get there. We want to soak up as much of the history and culture in all of our ports as we can. We have hired Nikos for our driver. Go to http://www.santorinidaytours.com . They were very fast and efficient and Nikos comes very highly rated here on CC. Maybe, if we come back for a second or third visit we'll then just want to wander on our own.

While "doing your own thing" may be easily possible on Santorini, if you are like we, this may be the one and only time you get there. We want to soak up as much of the history and culture in all of our ports as we can. We have hired Nikos for our driver. Go to http://www.santorinidaytours.com . They were very fast and efficient and Nikos comes very highly rated here on CC. Maybe, if we come back for a second or third visit we'll then just want to wander on our own.

I have Nikos for Aug 22nd

When are you going? I can let you know how it was, but I never heard a bad thing about his tours.

I have Nikos for Aug 22nd

When are you going? I can let you know how it was, but I never heard a bad thing about his tours.

We just used Nikos at the end of May and he had a woman acting as a guide as he drove in the morning. We took the cable car up and down and I recommend you do the same. He took photos of us ,then he went to his office to put them on a CD for us. The young woman then drove and acted as a guide and took us to a great local restaurant for lunch. Hope you enjoy the tour as much as we did.

We just used Nikos at the end of May and he had a woman acting as a guide as he drove in the morning. We took the cable car up and down and I recommend you do the same. He took photos of us ,then he went to his office to put them on a CD for us. The young woman then drove and acted as a guide and took us to a great local restaurant for lunch. Hope you enjoy the tour as much as we did.

Hope your photos came out great!

Some of his work I have seen is just fabulous. Of course he is going to show the best of the best. But to me it looked like he has the eye!

For the Miz:

We are going Sep.8 on the Noordam. Let us know how you enjoyed everything. FYI, from friends who did several land-based vacations in greece. If you want to take the donkeys, take them uphill not dow. Apparently, when they are going downhill, they know they are headed home for food and really fly down the steps!

We just returned from the Med on the Millenium. Santorinii is gorgeous! No need for a guide. We rented a 4 wheel ATV and did the whole island. (Check your gas before leaving). We, too stopped at Santos winery- a highlight of the day. Great white wine and amazing scenery!

Have fun!

Darlene and Bob

Nikos is not available on the day we need him. They have a driver I could use named Katerina who speaks english but is not a guide. Are the 4 wheel ATVs difficult to drive if I have never driven a scooter. Are the roads at all dangerous. We have our teenagers with us. Thanks for all the info.

Are the 4 wheel ATVs difficult to drive if I have never driven a scooter. Are the roads at all dangerous. We have our teenagers with us. Thanks for all the info.

I would recommend a car rental - it may end up less costly than two ATV's and a little safer. There is some good info on roads and travel on Santorini on this site .... scroll down to "Getting Around" http://www.frommers.com/destinations/santorini/1647010002.html

I've read a couple of reports similar to Bob's from people who have mentioned enjoying ATV's ... but a couple of things to keep in mind just from seeing them when we were there - they do not keep up with the speed of traffic, so you would need to pull over to let others pass or have a line of vehicles on your tail. And there is no protection from the sun - on hot, sunny days, an a/c car is a bonus for those who can't spend the entire day in the sun and heat.

Archived