New Snorkler/Diver Equipment Information Thread

Porchbeers

I have read a number of posts from individuals asking about what equipment to buy/get for snorkeling or diving based on equipment rentals at the ports of call. I am hoping that some of my fellow divemasters and/or long time experienced divers can chime in on this so hopefully we can get a sticky posted to provide this important information.

All of this information is my personal opininon and I hope others provide theirs as well.

Mask and Snorkle: Most posts revolve around purchasing, renting or using a mask, fins and snorkle provided on the excursion. I recommend that if you are going to snorkle or dive, even as a beginner, buy your mask and snorkle from a professional dive shop. On average, for a basic setup you may spend between $50-$100 depending on the style, and how fancy you want to get. But here is the benefit: It fits you, you have a choice of what works for you and what you feel comfortable with. A professional dive shop can also help you choose the right mask to help you fit your face to provide a tight seal.

Remember, in order to experience the thrill of the water, it to be able to see and the mask is where it all starts for divers and snorklers. If you are serious and want to continue diving/snorkeling and you were glasses, you want to consider prescription lenses. They cost more, but everyone I know who has them, loves them and find them well worth the cost.

Fins: If you are not sure if you are going to dive or snorkle again, use the ones that are provided. Many Carribean outfits have the fins that can stretch to fit your foot. You'll be fine. Now, if you are serious and want to start purchasing your gear, then have a local dive shop help you find the best fin to fit your foot and meet your budget.

I hope this thread provides some useful information for new snorklers and divers.

Archived