A few questions as we prepare to cross

jtimmer

We are looking forward to our June 9th eastbound crossing this Friday (finally after nine months of planning).

A few questions:

We are planning on boarding around noon (we are in the QG on deck 9). I presume that gives us an advantage in booking stuff that needs to booked on board. We already booked a bunch of Canyon Ranch treatments, but what else is there that needs to be reserved once on board?

Once on board (after we check out our cabins), we will have lunch in the Queens' Grill, at which time we can pick out our table for the entire voyage. Is that correct? Until what time does the Queens' Grill serve lunch?

Thanks.

We are looking forward to our June 9th eastbound crossing this Friday (finally after nine months of planning).

A few questions:

We are planning on boarding around noon (we are in the QG on deck 9). I presume that gives us an advantage in booking stuff that needs to booked on board. We already booked a bunch of Canyon Ranch treatments, but what else is there that needs to be reserved once on board?

Once on board (after we check out our cabins), we will have lunch in the Queens' Grill, at which time we can pick out our table for the entire voyage. Is that correct? Until what time does the Queens' Grill serve lunch?

Thanks.

If you plan to dine at Todd English, do a reservation early on in the cruise. It tends to be heavily booked particularly for later seatings. We tried to book mid-way across but only an early seating was available so we decided not to eat there (since we never, ever dine early).

Incidentally, since you are in Queen's Grill category, there is a private lift (so I understand) to take you down to the Canyon Ranch Spa.

One suggestion, if you have butler service (which I assume you will since you are in Queen's Grill), just get together with your butler very early on and ask him (or her) to arrange everything for you.

Sorry, I don't know until what time Queen's Grill serves lunch, but I feel sure they are generous with allotted times. Also, you can always get something to eat either from the Queen's Lounge or from room service (the room service operates 24 hours a day).

My wife and I always travel in steerage (we prefer the stability there mid-ship, plus we can take more frequent cruises) so perhaps others will have more specific information about the QG perks.

jtimmer...

Lucky You! We just returned from our May 29th crossing to New York and had an absolutely wonderful time! We were also fortunate enough to be in the Queen's Grille and you will thoroughly enjoy it!

Northern Neighbour is correct about Todd English - it is best to make your reservations early - we did so upon embarking. Also, your butler or Concierge can assist with reservations as well. We opted to go there for lunch and found that it was quite empty - Dinner may be more crowded.

As far as hours at the Queens Grille - they are open for lunch from 12:30 - 2:00 and dinner from 6:30 - 9:00. You will definitely enjoy each and every meal - so many selections and the staff goes out of their way to accommodate special requests. We had a fabulous Crepes Suzette on our last evening - unforgettable!

Enjoy your journey... we are already thinking about planning our next one!:)

I think it is a wise choice to skip English's restaurant. The QG is oh so accommodating. One evening I had chosen the poached lobster. (Having lived in Boston, I have dined on plenty of these crustaceans). When asked how my meal was, I replied "alright" since truly it was just so so. Well after that, the dam broke and they did cartwheels to make sure every dish was "excellent". I had not even complained just simply answered honestly. They knew my favorite was duck, and the next night they made a special presentation just for me. The staff was lovely and the food was quite excellent. Our table was assigned to us before boarding, but that may not be standard procedure.

If you want a Todd English experience and are in New York either pre-cruise or post-cruise, one option would be to go to the "English is Italian" restaurant in New York that is owned by Todd English. Todd has Italian ancestors so that is the reason one of his restaurants has that name.

We know New Yorkers who were on the recent cruise and dined at Todd English. They confirmed that the Todd English restaurants on-board, while doing a fine job, do have some things that could be improved.

However, the Todd English option is something I would try to get on-board particularly if one does not want to dine with the same table-mates every evening.

I did Eastbound on 4/29/06. Forget Todd English. It is over-rated, not worth the money and the night I went the service was poor. In addition, the place was half empty.

There is no better eating than the Queen's Grill on the QM2. Your table will be assigned and be based on your request to dine alone or desire to sit with other passengers at a table for four or more. You can come to the dining room any time during the hours of service. Menu is extensive, servers are professional. Eating in the Queen's Grill is the best part of the crossing. The staff will give you another table if the assigned one is not what you thought you wanted. My suggestion is to eat as a couple and for conversation talk to those at adjoining tables.

I was unable to book Todd English online, but could book spa appointments by calling the Canyon Ranch number available on the Cunard site. They were wonderful, and you could book months in advance of sailing.

The first opportunity we had to book Todd English was in the embarkation lounge in Southampton, and that worked out fine (the booking part, not the luncheon part, which I think is overrated).

Archived