Making Friends Onboard

edwinaw

O.K. so I feel a bit stupid with this one. Last time I cruised Noah had a spare cabin and I am 30 years older. I am cruising with my husband in October on Pride of Aloha and although I love him dearly we seem to have a better time with other people. Like I have heard his jokes 1000 times and it's all new to them. I guess the same is for me - we don't need to talk as we know what the other is thinking.

Are people generally friendly ? or do they tend to want to stick with their family or partner. I certainly believe in a balance and people having their own space but just interested on your thoughts.

I have found people on board to be friendly, out and easy going, sincere and wonderful to be with. It's very easy to meet people just say "Hello." Seriously, you actually can just begin talking to folks in many, many situations.

I have found people on board to be friendly, out and easy going, sincere and wonderful to be with. It's very easy to meet people just say "Hello." Seriously, you actually can just begin talking to folks in many, many situations.

My first cruise is this saturday and I had the same feelings as you. Although it is our anniversary, I still want to meet people to hang out with, so I joined the roll call for my sailing. So I suggest you do the same, that way you all can plan when and where to meet and you are guaranteed to know people on board already! Happy sailing.

It's almost standard greeting aboard to say,"Hi folks, where are you from" (Or some form of that). You will be suprised how many people you will meet. Odds are, if you want to make friends, you will. We've made friends and gone on excursions with them, had dinner together, shared taxis, etc. If you just put forth an open smile and willingness to say hello, you will definitely make friends.

Mrsfuzzmo

Some tips for meeting new people:

1. Join your Roll Call thread on these boards & go meet those folks to say hello at the begining of your cruise.

2. With freestyle dining, ask for a "table to share" at dinner. You'll be seated with a group of people at a big table. Even if you sit by DH, you can still talk to the person next to you.

3. Smile & say HI!. Most people on a cruise will talk to you. Those who don't, well you didn't need them to ruin your vacation. :rolleyes: Ask open eneded questions: where are you from? have you cruised before? are you having fun? what did you do today? what excursions are you planning for tomorrow? have you ever been to . . . ? If you are sitting by someone at the pool / on deck, ask about what they are reading or drinking.

4. If you don't think you can walk up to a stranger, wear or carry something to attract attention to yourself: a big hat, a funky piece of jewelry, a button with a funny saying, etc. If someone comments, keep 'em talking.

Enjoy!

Stick with the dining room for all meals and ask to be seated with other parties. You will meet some of the nicest people that way, breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Be the first to strike up a conversation, no matter where you are. We once met a family (Mother, adult daughter and son) on the pool deck while sailing away from a port and hung out with them a while.

The staff and crew are always very friendly and love to talk to people about their homeland and their families. I ask them where they have travelled to on their cruise contract and what recommendations they may have. Don't forget, the service crew talk directly to the pax week after week and although they may have not been on a certain excursion, they have spoken to many who have.

Why not get your dear husband a new joke book?

Thank you all for the tips. I have been on the roll call for weeks now and still have a big 0 next to my name i.e.no one else has registered for this cruise. I think that was what drove me to ask the question as I felt a bit lonely week after weeks on the roll call and no one joining me L.O.L. Anyway I am more confident now that people are friendly on board. Geez it would be great to share a hire car with another couple so they could drive - this driving on the wrong side of the road takes some brain space and can be rather stressful!:eek:

Thank you all for the tips. I have been on the roll call for weeks now and still have a big 0 next to my name i.e.no one else has registered for this cruise. I think that was what drove me to ask the question as I felt a bit lonely week after weeks on the roll call and no one joining me L.O.L. Anyway I am more confident now that people are friendly on board. Geez it would be great to share a hire car with another couple so they could drive - this driving on the wrong side of the road takes some brain space and can be rather stressful!:eek:

Don't feel lonely edwinaw, I'm in the same boat (no pun intended:p ). I sail next Sunday and joined the roll call with little success. Apparently only my DH and I are the only ones other than ALABAMA fans/employees/alum going on the 6/18 Valor. I haven't checked back in since last week...I'll pop on over there now to see if things have changed!

I agree with all the other posters...the folks on cruises are extremely friendly. My gf and I went on out first cruise in April and it was a blast. We had a great roll call that net up the first day and whenever we saw each other aboard...we always chatted or sat together if possible.

We also met some great folks in the elevators, excursions, shows, lido...:) you get my drift...the people were EXTREMELY friendly.

You will meet some great people. Have a great cruise!!

My husband and I met our best friends on our honeymoon Alaska cruise (Sun Viking, August 1994) . They were our age (mid/late 20's, at the time) were assigned to our table, and, as it turned out, they lived about 90 miles from us!

So you never know! :)

The bottom line is that if you're a friendly, talkative person who likes to participate in activities, etc. I'm sure you will meet lots of people!

No doubt you will make freinds quickly.. I traveled solo on the Celebration and made freinds quickly at dinner i made a buddy who was also traveling solo we had a blast planned shopping and excursions together. Most everyone is on vacation so relaxed and good times are a definte.. Enjoy your cruise I cant wait to do it again.

Caesar~

I was wondering about this too.....see I am the OUTGOING one of our family. My DH is very quiet, so I am sure that I'll be the one trying to establish contact with people on board.

I am hoping that we can find another couple to hang out with, too. I love my DH dearly, but sometimes I need other stimulating conversation...;)

I have travelled alone on most of my cruises and always meet people. I find the easiest way to meet people is to get involved in the activities, esp. the trivia. People are eager to get an extra head or 2 in their group. After that they watch for you and you become part of the team. I've made lasting friendships that way. Even if I'm at the buffet and reading a book at a table alone, people will always ask if they can join you and before you know it you're chatting away. Cruisers love to talk about their last or next cruise and eager to give you tips.

I'm a newbie to these boards and wish I knew about them in the past. We've hit the 25 mark for our trip in Oct. and can't wait to meet everyone the first day at sea. In fact, one fellow passenger and I have hooked up with IM and talk everyday. We're meeting in late Aug. before we go.

It's too bad your roll call isn't working. Our cruise 15 months from now already has a fun group chatting daily and we'll be old friends before we even get on the ship.

good luck - I hope you get some bites on the boards!

I love my husband dearly, but it's nice to talk to others too. People are very kind and very friendly. Play a trivia game and meet others, talk to your dinner companions, smile at everyone. I've made life long freinds on cruise ships. Oh and sign up on the roll call thread. You will meet others and both of you will have a wonderful time!

O.K. so I feel a bit stupid with this one. Last time I cruised Noah had a spare cabin and I am 30 years older. I am cruising with my husband in October on Pride of Aloha and although I love him dearly we seem to have a better time with other people. Like I have heard his jokes 1000 times and it's all new to them. I guess the same is for me - we don't need to talk as we know what the other is thinking.

Are people generally friendly ? or do they tend to want to stick with their family or partner. I certainly believe in a balance and people having their own space but just interested on your thoughts.

You will not have any trouble meeting people. There are so many extroverts on board that it'll be hard not to make new friends. I'm an introvert at heart and even I found myself striking up conversations with total strangers while waiting for a tender or introducing myself to the people in the next cabin.

You're going to see a lot of these people for the whole week on board and on shore, which is actually kinda fun. Give your Roll Call group a little time and once it gets going, keep it going.

There were about 75 people registered for my cruise last week for RCCL's Meet & Mingle group and about 30 showed up for the official meeting. Of that, there was probably a core group of about a dozen people that I got to know prior to the cruise through the forum and we got along famously. I even changed my table assignment for dinner so that some of them could sit with us.

And you can also ask to sit at a larger table for dinner. People who cruise are on vacation and I found most everyone to be pleasant and excited to be away. I looked forward to dinner to hear how everyone's day went and what excursions they did.

So don't worry too much and have fun on your cruise!

All the advice posted is great. The first response to your post was from catmand - we met him and his terrific wife almost three years ago on their first cruise, had an awesome time and kept in touch - cruising is a great way to make friends. A simple "hello" can go a long way!

Hey catmand - you're in the 5,000 club now - way to go, you cruise-a-holic! :)

.....Are people generally friendly ? or do they tend to want to stick with their family or partner. I certainly believe in a balance and people having their own space but just interested on your thoughts.

No better way to get to know someone than to share a meal with them. We always as for a large (8+) size table for late traditional. We also enjoy eating breakfast and lunch in the dining room to share a table with strangers and have a nice conversation.

I am sure that may not be for all, but we have had many enjoyable times meeting new people. They do not have to be forever friends. Some we have communicated with post cruise, but we just like sharing the experience at cruise time....:)

Hi Edwinaw

Hope you had a lovely time in and around central Australia, I grew up in Alice Springs and lived there until 6 years ago.

See there you go just a comment about a week away has started a conversation, my guess is you won't have any trouble striking up a conversation on board.

Have a great trip

Helen:)

Archived