Upgrades - Qe2

bobby1119

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about whether solo booked passengers ever receive upgrades. I am in a Caronia single (CA) for the full 2007 world cruise and was wondering if singles ever get upgrades to any of the higher Caronia grades.

It has been my experience, no. Not when you've booked a single cabin. I have, however, been upgraded when I've booked single in a double occupancy cabin.

The reason being is this: The Single cabins.,.. regardless of what grade, never receive the various promo codes. Only the double occupancy cabins do.

Now, I had been booked in a C5, single. Promo rates came out and the new rate on my cabin went down. The yield management software took note of that, and up I went to a C3. Ultimately, I went to a P2.

Sometimes I can "trade space" when I have group space.. I book FIT guarantee and POLAR will trade space with the inventory I have in groups, but it is usually just a one category upgrade... and I have to have the right inventory to start with. Sometimes it doesn't work at all. I never know, until I try.

I'm not saying that it can't happen, but chances are pretty slim. Just have your agent keep checking to see if you can't move into a double occupancy cabin for the same.. or close to pricing.

The yield management software took note of that...

We (who are hoping for upgrades) are at the mercy of the mysterious Cunard/Carnival "yield management software." Would anyone have any insight into how this program works and what are the variables that the software considers? Presumably the fact that one is a previous Cunard/Carnival customer has some weight. How about early booking? Is there any advantage or penalty with booking directly with Cunard? Under what circumstances can one count on an upgrade, if any? Illumination would be welcome.

Pay the highest rate for the lowest category.. and book guarantees. And hope the fares on your sailing go down!

That's pretty basic, but that's the way it works.

To maximize revenue potential, the cruiseline knows they can sell the cheap cabins over and over again.. while the more expensive.. just sit there unsold. The most expensive, they normally don't have problems selling either.

Inventory sells from the top... and the bottom.. that which is in middlin', sits.

Numeber one rule is to always remember to book the category you'd be happy to sail in. The Upgrade Fairy can be elusive at times, especially on high demand sailings!

We (who are hoping for upgrades) are at the mercy of the mysterious Cunard/Carnival "yield management software." Would anyone have any insight into how this program works and what are the variables that the software considers? Presumably the fact that one is a previous Cunard/Carnival customer has some weight. How about early booking? Is there any advantage or penalty with booking directly with Cunard? Under what circumstances can one count on an upgrade, if any? Illumination would be welcome.

The other thing I can tell you is this. (Pay attention, those of you booked on the QM2 4 day labor day cruise!!! Especially past passengers!)

Call and ASK! i have been upgraded twice now from B6 to B3 to B1. Maybe I will manage a case to A1 if this keeps up! I do believe (after looking at inventory) that this sailing is not selling particularly well. The upgrade I was last given (When I called to inquire about booking Marc's Dad and wife, and mentioned I did not have my booking info with me, as we were visiting them, and could not go online to pull it- The res agent immediately said, "well, I am upgrading you right now to a B1!" Then proceeded to quote me a fabulous rate for Marc's dad- Who is now booked and paid in full in a cabin next to us, but not adjoining (but we have opposite dinner seatings so we will not be joined at the hip and can go our separate ways with folks we will meet or know from past cruises. We'll have plenty of tiem to get together in four days with only one port!) It pays just to call and ask! These were promos known as "Complimentary upgrades" (And Marc's Dad has a different promo than we do, but the same price.)

Karie, who is thinking she could get upgraded to grill if we keep this up and those cabins don't sell!

Number one rule is to always remember to book the category you'd be happy to sail in. The Upgrade Fairy can be elusive at times, especially on high demand sailings!

Thanks for the insight. I am confirmed in one of the larger CA cabins (formerly a double with a bed and setee bed now sold as a single). Do you know how high the demand is for CA singles on the world cruise and also how the world cruise is selling?

Thanks for the insight. I am confirmed in one of the larger CA cabins (formerly a double with a bed and setee bed now sold as a single). Do you know how high the demand is for CA singles on the world cruise and also how the world cruise is selling?

CA's are gone for the world. The lower categories and the upper categories are done, too. Best availability is in Caronia and P Grill.

The example Karie gave for the Labor Day sailing, is what I mean by middlin cabins sitting and promo codes issued to move inventory.

Re upgrades for Single passengers / cabins on QE2 my experience has been a very good one as I can recall 3 times that I've either booked a Princess Grill Single cabin on either a pre booked cabin or garantee basis and in each case I've been upgraded to the Queens Grill. I am surprised re the CA singles being sold for the full World Cruise as I am about to book a gty cabin for the first segment of the WC on 2 Jan 07 for the Crossing to NYC.

Re the upgrades I certainly think re the single PG grade you have a very good chance of being upgraded esp. as there are only 2 single cabins in this grade. Interestingly back in the earlier days you could only book the Queens Grill as a single traveller or the Columbia & Britannia Restaurants.

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

Archived