For those sailing over July 4th...

GoinCruisin

Just thought I would pass this on (as I wish someone had informed us last year when we sailed!!)... if you will be in Mexico from July 4th-July 6th, you should be aware that July 6th is election day in Mexico, therefore MOST restaurants/bars do not sell alcohol from midnight on the 4th through the 6th. We did not know (Carnival nor our travel agent bothered to tell us... we found out when we went to C&C's only to find it empty and a big sign outside that said "NO ALCOHOL TODAY"). The "tourist" beaches seemed to be selling alcohol and Fat Tuesdays at the pier were two of the only places we found... Senor Frogs and Carlos and Charlies were dry as a bone... just thought I would give those of you a heads up if you didn't know about it... it really put a damper on our trip to Cozumel :( Went to a very nice restaurant and were served cokes :mad:

Thank you for the information. I am really dissappointed by this news though... Can it truly be that the only 2 days we will be in Mexico are the only 2 days the bars are not serving alcohol? Suddenly I sound like I have a drinking problem but I have been to Senor Frogs and was really looking forward to going back to join in the festivities!! Thank you for letting us know before we arrived at the bar only to find it empty! Anyone know if Paradise Beach will still have the bar up and running? I appreciate the help.

Brooke

Brooke, I wish we had known... apparently, the election day is always July 6th... and the bars are not "supposed" to sell alcohol the day before... It was really odd to go into Senor Frogs and C&C's and see NOBODY... I mean there were literally no more than 4 people in either place!!!! I don't think we would have changed the cruise date, but we would have been better prepared leaving the ship and found out the places that WERE serving earlier.... good luck!!!

Homework. Ya gotta do your homework before a cruise to find out what's going on in the ports! For instance, I go to the Bahamas during "Junkanoo" because I love it! I try to find out what's happening before I finalize any vacation plans.

I'm really sorry C&C and SF will be closed during your stop there. I know most folks love both, and it would not make me happy to find them closed, either.:(

after emailing someone on cozumelinsider.com I received a reply stating that the bars would be serving alcohol to tourists in cozumel so who knows what is really going to happen. as far as researching your trip believe me i do research extensively and this is the first time i have heard of the elections effecting bars in mexico. in fact i have tried to research this policy more since finding out about it but there is not a lot of information available on the internet (hhmmm perhaps the bars don't want anyone to know about the no alcohol policy??!) anyway i appreciate all the advance information. thank you

I thought that Boxing Day was Dec. 26th, and not Jan. 1?????. I spent a week in Cancun in early May this year, and really thought that we would be having huge Cinco de Mayo parties! Not so. Seems that we celebrate Cinco de Mayo much more in the US than they do in Mexico! The BIG celebration for Mexican Independence is in September.

We Are Traveling On The Holiday Out If Msy On 7/3/04. That Means We Will Be In Playa Del Carmen On July 5th And Cozumel On July 6th. Our Entire Cruise Is Booked Solid Because Of The Us Holiday On The 4th As Is The Conquest And Many Other Ships. Are We Really That Out If The Loop? I Thought With The Ships Packed That The Beaches Would Be Too?

As I said, SOME bars DO serve alcohol... but none in the city (such as Carlos and Charlies, Senor Frogs and the restaurants...BIG signs outside the bars that said plainly NO ALCOHOL SERVED DUE TO ELECTIONS) The beaches that serve tourists DO serve alcohol (icky though...). Fat Tuesdays at the pier in Cozumel does serve during this time... but if you are looking for alcohol in town, you won't find it.... Also, if you do the all inclusive drinks at the beaches, they use crappy alcohol, it made my BF VERY sick (sick ALL day in the cabin on the last day... It was as if he had drank poison!!!!!!!) I think it is well worth it to pay the upcharge to the premium alcohols... I am sure the rank stuff does not bother many (i did not get sick, but the liquor tasted horrible... and the beach we were at only sold 2 brands of beer...), but it does bother some...

Archived