QM2 Casual

castlewood

I recently completed an absolutely magnificent westbound crossing on the QM2 (from May 29--June 4). We had beautiful Queens Grill accommodations, wonderful food, and one of the most relaxing weeks of my life.

In view of all the discussions on this board about how to dress, I think it's important to note that the passengers on my crossing dressed MUCH MORE CASUALLY during the day than I had expected--certainly not "country-club casual." Jeans were not uncommon, even in Queens Grill, for breakfast and lunch. A stroll through the Kings Court saw passengers in shorts, etc. People dressed up more at night, and the formal nights were indeed formal, although more people observed the formal rules on the first and last formal night, and suits were more evident on the second formal night. Even Jane Russel was wearing a pink warm-up suit one night.

Thanks for this reassurance about the casual attire during the day. We're going on our first crossing on 7/8 and I was debating about wearing cropped pants and some nice, beaded sandals (other than when having afternoon tea). Would also like to wear my spa suit and Asics when walking around Deck 7. I think I'll feel more comfortable about that now.

I also was on the 5/29 TA, and I wore cropped pants (nice, white ones) and nice sandals during the day. Also wore a nice work-out set to/from the spa, and sneakers and just about anything when on deck 7, walking the "Miles at Sea." As long as you are neat and appropriate for the situation (formal, tea, spa), you won't have any problem. Just use your own good judgment, then upscale it a teensy bit, and you'll be perfect. Enjoy every minute. I'm extremely envious!!

Just thought I'd add also . . . (not to be negative) . . .

but the planetarium show was REALLY LAME!!

With such a beautiful facility, you'd think they'd have a live astronomer and maybe a little color in their projections. My wife dozed off during it.

But what a great trip. What I wouldn't give for a Queens Grill dinner right about now!

On our 5/23 crossing there were some who, IMHO, were TOO casual during the day. Old jeans and rock concert t-shirts I thought were disrespectful to the whole experience. Not many, but a few, and they sure stood out.

Might add also that the one QM2 "British nanny" that I saw on my recent crossing was wearing jeans and a black sort of Goth-like skull-and-crossbones T-shirt. The kids with her seemed to be having fun, though, but she did NOT project the Julie Andrews image that is sort of implied by Cunard's hype.

Then again, maybe she wasn't a Cunard nanny, but she was leading 5 or 6 kids along, and they all had cutout hats on, as though they had just emerged from some sort of arts and crafts session.

Why hype is there about british nanny's????

I'd be willing to bet that there was some sort of Pirate theme going on if the girl was wearing a skull and crossbones shirt while leading a group of kids with cutouts hats on.

Would you rather the kids take a "spoonful of sugar" and be bouncing around on the ship?

Before anyone gets all upset, just trying to lighten things up a bit

Would you rather the kids take a "spoonful of sugar" and be bouncing around on the ship?

That's one very good point for the kids facilities on the QE2 - they keep the kids out of hearing and sight. You wouldn't even know that there were kids on-board:)

I recently completed an absolutely magnificent westbound crossing on the QM2 (from May 29--June 4). We had beautiful Queens Grill accommodations, wonderful food, and one of the most relaxing weeks of my life.

In view of all the discussions on this board about how to dress, I think it's important to note that the passengers on my crossing dressed MUCH MORE CASUALLY during the day than I had expected--certainly not "country-club casual." Jeans were not uncommon, even in Queens Grill, for breakfast and lunch. A stroll through the Kings Court saw passengers in shorts, etc. People dressed up more at night, and the formal nights were indeed formal, although more people observed the formal rules on the first and last formal night, and suits were more evident on the second formal night. Even Jane Russel was wearing a pink warm-up suit one night.

We just completed 29 May through 4 June westbound crossing. I experienced the same "jeans stroll" throughout the day and throughout the ship. Evenings were indeed more formal. Didn't bother me as much as surprise me. And, I would estimate 50% or more from Europe and Great Britain. Still it was the most enjoyable 6 days traveling that I have spent in my life. I will come back for more.

To CubsFan:

The British nanny thing is mentioned in the catalogues and on the Cunard site. In my head, it just conjures up the Mary Poppins image (not ever knowing a British nanny personally . . .)

And you're right, the nanny and the kids were probably playing "pirate"--sorry to be so dense, don't know where my brain was. No need to panic!

Panic? hahahahahaa

I just wasn't aware that Cunard "hypes" up the service of a nanny. Yes, it is part of the childrens program but I really dont think it something that sets QM2 apart from other ships. There are plenty of other things that do that...

To CubsFan:

The British nanny thing is mentioned in the catalogues and on the Cunard site. In my head, it just conjures up the Mary Poppins image (not ever knowing a British nanny personally . . .)

And you're right, the nanny and the kids were probably playing "pirate"--sorry to be so dense, don't know where my brain was. No need to panic!

Trust me, I've never met a Mary Poppins type. The first one I knew was a skydiver who could drink any man under the table and swear to make a sailor blush. She would crack me up with the things she would say, One of the others in her group was a male- and very much gay. Pretty much every British nanny I've ever known was a far cry from Mary Poppins. You would have to be to put up with rich spoiled American kids!

Karie who is poor, not rich, so very fresh indeed! <G>

Yeah, I loved those caretakers! Scuttled away those wayward urchins in no time and even sat them down for a civilized tea! (What every American brat truly needs...providing the tea is decafinated, naturally...) :D

Karie, let us know what's up with you...you have my e-mail addy...would love to hear from you.

^..^ ~

Archived