Jones Act Question

travelcharm

I am not trying to do a repositioning cruise and LA is no part of the trip I am trying to take - just Vancouver to Whittier and Whittier back to Vancouver. I am going to try again with another Princess rep. I have been in e-mail contact with someone who just did this last month - and there were 20 couples on the ship doing this. So why can't I??????

I am doing this along with CassCruise and never had a problem booking etc.:eek:

round trip whitter to whittier is ok but the third leg to LA would be a violation as they would technically be taking you from Whittier to LA on the same boat....which is a no-no....
That shouldn't break any rules. As far as I know, the PSA is only concerned with where you embark and where you disembark, no matter how the total cruise is segmented by the cruise line. One of the members here combined 4 cruises last year (two repos, plus B2B) without penalty.

That shouldn't break any rules. As far as I know, the PSA is only concerned with where you embark and where you disembark, no matter how the total cruise is segmented by the cruise line. One of the members here combined 4 cruises last year (two repos, plus B2B) without penalty.

Since you are on a repo you normally go to a distant foreign port that allows you to start at one US port and get off at another. if the b2b started and ended at the same port there is no violation. The problem is that if this starts in Vancover goes to whittier, then whittier to Vancover and then Vancover to LA, for some reason the the trip/segments from Whittier to LA would be considered a violation since it starts and ends in two different US ports without going to a distant foreign port.

Through Princess, we have booked the Island Princess for the 3 day Vancouver to LA cruise on 9/18 and then the 15 day cruise from LA to Hawaii with a stop in Ensenada before returning to LA. We are boarding in an international port and disembarking in an American port.

I was getting ready to transfer the bookings to my TA when Kim said she thought it violates the PSA. Now I'm really confused.

I've been caught in the web of B2B cruises while on board the first cruise back in 1987. Talk about a shock...had never heard of the Jones Act or the PSA back then. Princess caught it in mid stream. It was a real hassle.

Thanks ahead for any thoughts about our B2B cruises.:)

Through Princess, we have booked the Island Princess for the 3 day Vancouver to LA cruise on 9/18 and then the 15 day cruise from LA to Hawaii with a stop in Ensenada before returning to LA. We are boarding in an international port and disembarking in an American port.

I was getting ready to transfer the bookings to my TA when Kim said she thought it violates the PSA. Now I'm really confused.

I've been caught in the web of B2B cruises while on board the first cruise back in 1987. Talk about a shock...had never heard of the Jones Act or the PSA back then. Princess caught it in mid stream. It was a real hassle.

Thanks ahead for any thoughts about our B2B cruises.:)

I am not an expert but I don't see how this violates the PSA. You start off in Vancover and then go to LA. Then round trip to LA, since you are not being transported between two US ports but going to LA and retirning to LA I don't see the issue.

TO itdjbw -

I live in the Atlanta area also (Stone Mountain) and am still having trouble booking the B2B Vancouver-Whittier-Vancouver cruise. Please send me an e-mail and let me know who your travel agent is. Maybe I can work something out here.

The one TA that I have contacted said it was a violation of the PSA Act and even Princess said I could not do it. But I have been in contact with someone who has just returned from this, so I know it can be done!!!!

My e-mail is shellseekr@mindspring.com

Thanks,

Mel Robinson

Since you are on a repo you normally go to a distant foreign port that allows you to start at one US port and get off at another. if the b2b started and ended at the same port there is no violation. The problem is that if this starts in Vancover goes to whittier, then whittier to Vancover and then Vancover to LA, for some reason the the trip/segments from Whittier to LA would be considered a violation since it starts and ends in two different US ports without going to a distant foreign port.
Just about all of the short west-coast repos don't have distant foreign port stops. In fact, the only reason those cruises exist is the PSA. Ships have to over-night to Vancouver, then go to LA or SD or wherever.

Just about all of the short west-coast repos don't have distant foreign port stops. In fact, the only reason those cruises exist is the PSA. Ships have to over-night to Vancouver, then go to LA or SD or wherever.

Yes I know the issue here is whether a b2b is allowed. A cruise that starts ar Vancover doesn't have a PSA problem after all its a foreign port(it doesn't matter if its distant or not). A cruise that starts in a US port must return to that same US port unless it goes to a distant foreign port or end at a foreign port. It can't return to a different US port. B2B directs are governed by the same rule if you want a back to back. So that a B2b that starts in La first leg ends in Vancover and then goes on to end in Whittier is a no no. Thems the rules. I don't like them but Cruise lines like Cruise West and the one up the Mississippi still exists because of the PSA. So that even some of the distant foreign ports get cruises they might not get otherwise? Another reason to keep them. The discussion of doing away with them doesn't even have the cruise lines supports. Personally I don't like spitting into the wind.

Archived