QE2 Captain, 3rd July

Jacques O

Well, as far as i know, I've never heard of Captain Perkins. Who is he? A P&O/ Princess or Cunard Captain?

As far as I can remember from his speech to the WC he first commission was the Caronia. Before that he'd worked his way up on the QE2.

Captain Perkins was in command last time I sailed the Caronia. According to the information provided at that time, Captain David Perkins joined Cunard Steamship Cp. Ltd. as an Officer Cadet when he was 17. When he gained his Masters certificate in 1984 he transferred over to Cunard Line. His first appointment was as First Officer on board the Cunard Countess. He served on the Cunard Crown Dynasty, the Caronia, the Seabourn Sun and the Queen Elizabeth 2.

:p Hello Jaques O

Myself and Family who are very excited to be sailing to Norway on the QE2 this Friday ,(along with Kindlychap,)we had no idea who the captain was either , so hopefully we will be sharing some fine wine with the good man himself ! Will keep you posted .

PS . My main question Jaques O is ,

After viewing your cruise profile , I see you have been on so many lines , myself have only been on QE2 and Murcury ( Celebrity) next year its my 25th wedding anniverary and are thinking of treating ourselfs to a crystall cruises , which is the most memorableroble to you ??

Thanks MayMayMay

:p Hello Jaques O

Myself and Family who are very excited to be sailing to Norway on the QE2 this Friday ,(along with Kindlychap,)we had no idea who the captain was either , so hopefully we will be sharing some fine wine with the good man himself ! Will keep you posted .

PS . My main question Jaques O is ,

After viewing your cruise profile , I see you have been on so many lines , myself have only been on QE2 and Murcury ( Celebrity) next year its my 25th wedding anniverary and are thinking of treating ourselfs to a crystall cruises , which is the most memorableroble to you ??

Thanks MayMayMay

Hello MayMayMay,

Yes, let us know how was your cruise and the Captain!

Well, I can't really anwser your question! Each cruise is one of a kind! Loved them all. Also, the destination itself amount to a great deal into the cruise satisfaction! Took three cruise with Celebrity, and it was always very good, very professional. Never tried Crystal (more expensive than 'standard' lines).

Have a great cruise

Jacques

• 3 weeks later...
From what has been said, and from what appears on this board, Capt. Perkins would appear to be the likely candidate.

Just returned from Land of the Midnight Sun and had a marvellous time.

But I can't say I thought that much of Capt P.....

I never saw him in any of the public areas chatting to passengers unless it was in an official capacity like a cocktail party or church service. Oh and the slightest puff of wind and he'd close off access to ALL the outside decks and cover up every possible porthole. The worst example of this happened during the daytime, long after some (slightly) stormy weather had actually started to subside. Not acceptable for a fresh-air-loving early bird like myself. Come back Captain Bates!

Anyway, moan over. the other 99% of the cruise was superb. The ship was looking good and the crew were (as ever) absolutely lovely.

Tim.

Well, on the specific subject of Captain David Perkins, we found him to be friendly and personably.

I can't say that I didn't have any difficulty in accessing any areas, although we did notice that the Sun Deck observation deck was often closed in windy weather. But given that the ship is travelling at a fair old lick, and that the stairs up to the Sun Deck from the boat deck aren't the easiest to use, I can see his point in terms of avoiding litigation.

You're assuming he made the decision personally of course.

I don't want to take anything away from Captain Nick Bates, but I'd be very happy to cruise with Captain Perkins again. I liked his sense of humour - and Captain Bates hasn't done a talk in the Grand Lounge in the way that Captain Perkins did.

He is the only Master of QE2 to have served in every rank on the ship, or so I understand. He's certainly a Cunard man, having served on cargo ships for some years before transferring to the passenger division.

Well, on the specific subject of Captain David Perkins, we found him to be friendly and personably.

I can't say that I didn't have any difficulty in accessing any areas, although we did notice that the Sun Deck observation deck was often closed in windy weather. But given that the ship is travelling at a fair old lick, and that the stairs up to the Sun Deck from the boat deck aren't the easiest to use, I can see his point in terms of avoiding litigation.

You're assuming he made the decision personally of course.

Hi Kindlychap. always good to hear another point of view from someone else on the same cruise. I suppose I became a trifle biased during another one of the days at sea, when all access to the outside areas was blocked off between 06.00 and 07.00. The purser told me it was due to "high winds". In desperation for my morning stroll on boatdeck I tried to escape via the Yacht Club. Who should I bump into but the Staff Captain who explained that it was due to deck maintenance/cleaning and was happy to confirm that it was nothing to do with the weather. Seems a potentially dangerous trend when the crew are starting to use "high winds" as a cover-all excuse to keep the passengers quiet. Trouble is, people will eventually start to question what they're being told - and responsibility for that has to come down to the Master. Anyway, enough of that. Just pause a moment whilst I dismount from my high horse. It was a couple of minor blips on a really lovely holiday - and I hope you also had a good time. And MayMayMay, you out there? Wasn't Spitsbergen fabulous! Did you bring enough warm clothes!? As mentioned on a previous thread, we were lucky enough to get an upgrade from Caronia to Britannia. Cabin was 2154 which was an old storeroom (I think). Reasonable size and beautifully fitted out. Only problem was that the furniture was free-standing rather than of the fitted variety which meant rather less storage space than I anticipated - and it rather ate into the cubic footage.

You should have been asleep at that time!

:D

Yeah, I know. I'm like a big kid when I get on that lovely ship - just can't sleep-in. I'm dying to get a cup of tea from the Pavillion, maybe have a swim and then go and stand right at the back of 1 deck looking astern at the wake. Total bliss! Even manage it when I've been having the odd late tipple the night before.

Archived