Post cruise FLL

LHC

The Sawgrass Mills is about a 10 minute drive from the hotel, 15 minutes or less to the airport. Assuming you'll have a rental car it's a great location. ;)

B,

Do you know of any area rental cars who will drop one off at the port? We have a rental precruise as DD wants to see a hockey game and hit the beach. We are during it back prior to our cruise.

Thanks,

Linda

While all the major car rental agencies operate out of Fort Lauderdale's airport, none has an office at the port. Budget has the closest, at the foot of the 17th St. Causeway, but does not offer shuttle service to the ships. Thrifty, 2400 Miami Road, Ft Lauderdale is just outside of the port confines as well.(call direct to see if they offer one)

I'd recommend an airport rental; take a cab to the Port ($10 or less) or you can take advantage of the shuttle service that each cruise line offers to and from Port Everglades.(not recommended) ;)

Hi Bequia,

I see that you are a resident expert in Ft Lauderdale :D Just how bad is the Holiday Inn on Ft Lauderdale Beach, I won it on Priceline for $55 for June 28th and I'm a little frightened. :eek:

I called Thirfty and they will pick us up at the port and take us to the car plus we can return it two days later at the airport. Bequia you are the greatest..thanks,

Linda

Hi Bequia,

I see that you are a resident expert in Ft Lauderdale :D Just how bad is the Holiday Inn on Ft Lauderdale Beach, I won it on Priceline for $55 for June 28th and I'm a little frightened. :eek:

Here is a link to another website that has input from many travelers and you can see for yourself what others think.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34227-d219663-Reviews-Holiday_Inn_Fort_Lauderdale_Beach-Fort_Lauderdale_Florida.html

Hi Bequia,

The location can't be beat. The last time I stayed there was spring break in 77. The neighborhood is relatively safe. I have not been back inside since then. I take tripadvisor reviews with a grain of salt but I do recall seeing some poor reports on these threads as well. Your should search these threads and see what you come up, perhaps others from the boards will speak up if they've stayed there. If the reviews continue to worry you then write off the $55 and book another hotel.

The company that owns the Bahia Mar, Ft Lauderdale Grande, Hyatt Pier 66, the entire LaQuinta chain, owns this hotel as well. My guess is that they're going to tear it down and put condos in it's place someday.

• 2 weeks later...
While all the major car rental agencies operate out of Fort Lauderdale's airport, none has an office at the port. Budget has the closest, at the foot of the 17th St. Causeway, but does not offer shuttle service to the ships. Thrifty, 2400 Miami Road, Ft Lauderdale is just outside of the port confines as well.(call direct to see if they offer one)

I'd recommend an airport rental; take a cab to the Port ($10 or less) or you can take advantage of the shuttle service that each cruise line offers to and from Port Everglades.(not recommended) ;)

We are looking to rent a car post cruise (Aug 26) for the day. I just spoke with the rep at the Budget office (location code EV3) near Port Everglades. She said that they will pickup at the north end of the port and take you to their nearby location (~1/2 mile) to pickup the rental car. Their office opens at 9am and you just need to call them and they will drive down and pickup. We also plan to drop-off the car at the airport (FLL) that evening (flight leaves at 7:30pm)....no extra charge.

I booked a compact car (Ford Focus) online for this scenario (pickup EV3, dropoff FLL) for $30.99. We plan to store our luggage in the car and be free to drive around and explore FLL all day.

I think Budget sounds like a deal....any experience with them or suggestions about a better car rental option?

Now what shall we do for the whole day in FLL?? Ideas?

I think Budget sounds like a deal....any experience with them or suggestions about a better car rental option? Now what shall we do for the whole day in FLL?? Ideas?

Sounds like a good deal with Budget, go for it.

Plenty to do in and around Ft Lauderdale for the day.

Tour the waterways, either on a rented boat from one of the marinas along Route A1A, or via a sightseeing vessel or water taxi. The latter can be boarded at points along the Intracoastal Waterway. Reachable by water taxi are attractions such as Beach Place, Broward Center for the Performing Arts, Galleria Mall, Las Olas Boulevard shops, Las Olas Riverfront, and the Museum of Art and Museum of Discovery and Science/Blockbuster IMAX Theater; restaurants such as 15th Street Fisheries, Grill Room at Riverside Hotel, Shula's on the Beach, and dozens of others; and hotels such as the Hyatt Regency Pier Sixty-Six, Radisson Bahia Mar, Riverside Hotel, and Pillars Waterfront.

Checkout downtown Fort Lauderdale, especially Las Olas Boulevard between Southeast 3rd and Southeast 15th avenues. After lunch at a sidewalk café, head for the nearby Arts and Science District and the downtown Riverwalk; enjoy it at a leisurely pace in half a day.

One of the most popular activities in Fort Lauderdale is a swamp tour.This is an unparalleled opportunity to experience first-hand the majesty of Florida nature. Tour the reservation wetlands, hardwood hammocks and sloughs where wildlife abounds. Sightings of deer, water buffalo, bison, wild hogs, hawks, eagles other rare birds and alligators are common; there are even Florida panthers in the area.

Saw Grass Mills, visit over 300 stores, shop at one of the largest outlet malls in the World. Flamingo Gardens and the Swap Shop are area icons as well.

Sounds like a good deal with Budget, go for it.

Plenty to do in and around Ft Lauderdale for the day.

Bequia...thanks for all the suggestions...BUT we are only in FLL post cruise for about 8 hours. :eek: Guess we will have to do some research, map gazing, time calculating and priority setting in order to make the most of our brief stay. Maybe we will be so exhausted from our cruise that we will just want to lay on a beach....Aren't vacations meant to be restfull?

Hertz also picks up and drops off at the port.:)

For some reason Hertz always seems to be the most expensive company to rent a car from. I'd use them more often if their rates were comparable to the other major car rental companys.

Thirfty with tax and others was at a rate of 37.50 a day with port pick-up and then I can drop it off at the airport, post cruise. This was for post cruise use.

Linda

Archived