Juneau zipline

teammom

I haven't done the Alaska versions of the zipline/canopy tours, but I can comment on the ones I did in the south: In St. Maarten a few folks had small digital cameras that they were keeping either around their necks (tucked into their shirts while zipping) or in a small fanny-pack. I recall you weren't allowed any more than that (no backpacks for sure). But one fellow did actually drop his camera, and couldn't find it. Luckily my son had seen where he dropped it and was able to trek back with the guy to find it, but it wasn't easy (and the operators were NOT impressed :mad:- big liability issues, I believe).

And the one I went to in Puerto Vallarta there were NO cameras allowed (they said it was for safety reasons), but they actually had guides videotaping the whole thing for you, which you could purchase at the end (and they delivered the tape to our resort). They really should all do that!

Karen

Fanny packs would not work because you have the harness on. I don't think they would let you use a backpack either. Everyone in my group just put their camera in the zipper pocket of the jacket provided by the company.

We were given rain gear (like windbreaker jackets). It was not raining, but they suggested we wear theirs since sometimes sap from the trees got on things and that way it would get on their jackets and not ours. We put personal items in a tub that was locked up while we zipped. This included watches, backpacks, etc--anything that might fall and get lost. The jackets had several zip closure pockets. We carried our very small camera there as did others. If you don't want to take a chance, the zip line guides on our tour had one person who took photos. We did, however, get some awesome pictures of our own! We booked our tour independently (as I did most of our excursions). We did not do the gold mine thing.

Oh . . . and this is for Kammer . . . we went to a tent where we took personal things out of pockets and loaded it into the tub to be locked up. Our zip lines were at a ski resort, so someone could wait there, too. Then we went a short ways to the first zip line. Someone who didn't want to zip could possibly stay there. On our tour, we did 7 zips and ended back up where we started, so if someone didn't want to go, you would be coming back to them and they could possibly see the first and last zips from the ground. However, we were picked up in town and had about a 20 minute drive out to the forest. They might not want to give a seat in the van to someone who was not paying to zip line.

So apparently there are 2 ziplines in Juneau.

This is the original established one in the ski area that has a couple favorable reviews:

www.alaskazip.com

vs.

www.alaskacanopyadventures.com

which is a the new one from the folks who also have one in Ketchikan apparently. Has anyone actually done this with the vehicles and gold mine, etc. ?

Testimonials or complaints about either?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I also have a bad back (2 ruptured discs L4, L5), but I also wanted very much to do this. The harness goes around the waist and both upper legs. You step into it like you are putting on pants and tighten up. The first time zipping, it is your tendency to try to hold yourself up with your arms. Our guides told us to not do this as it would just make your arms tired. All your weight is held by your legs and it is like sitting in a chair. You don't really need to hold on at all, so no arm strength is needed. I enjoyed the experience and my back was fine. I'm 50 years old and not in "great" shape, but I do walk and have a job where I'm on my feet all day.

We did the Alaskan canopy Adventure through Radiance and yes I would assume that one could wait at the house were you take the ATV up to he first zip-line but you really do not have a good view from there. The ATV takes you to the base of the first zip-line then you have a short uphill climb. This zip-line has 9 stations and although I have never done one before it was a blast.

My kids were originally scheduled to do the zipline in Ketchikan, but changed to one in Juneau on board the ship. The guy from the Tour Desk on the Regal Princess said this was the best excursion they offered! My grown kids LOVED it!

I just did the Ketchikan zip and love love loved it!!! Great scenery, including bald eagles all over the place. If you're lucky the bears will also show. Everything is relatively new, and the guides were fantastic.

Back - I have a weak back, and felt a little bit of strain. But I could have been sitting badly, and it was extremely windy on our day.

Cameras - I took my somewhat bulky Konica Z5, but didn't use it while zipping - just no way to hold onto it. I did get some nice video crossing the bridges, and video & stills of other people zipping.

Scared of heights - one guy in our group opted out after the first zip. However, getting him down at that point involved sitting him in a sort of sling and lowering him vertically by rope & pulley down to the ground from the platform :eek: . Honestly, we all thought that looked way worse than the zips!

Jenazz

i keep going back and forth about doing it. i come up with many excuses

one being we aren't in port that long 1 pm -8 pm

i so want to !!! guess i will decide last minute as with most things i do

thanks

Woo Hoo I absolutely love the info that's being provided. I am just like you Iris - I've found 150 excuses, yet the part of me that wants to do it is just a little stronger than the part that finds the excuses. I'm cruising on August 18 and havel already booked the Juneau excursion so I'm hoping that if I really enjoy it, the ISP excursion will also be open. We don't get to ISP until 8/22 so here's hoping....

I'm wondering if, by any chance, anyone that has tried (or will soon try) this zipline excursion can compare them to any others? I did one in Puerto Vallarta, and again in St. Maarten ... and I guess I'm wondering if the different type of scenery makes for a much different experience? They were both an absolute hoot, but there may be other things that I want to do in Alaska... (my teen boys may beg to differ though!)

Karen: if it's anything like the one's I've done, there's not too much pulling needed - you control how fast you go, so if you don't get all the way across, you'll know for the next line and adjust accordingly. I saw more people crashing a bit harder at the end than they should have, versus stopping half way across (but they didn't get hurt - just slightly jostled!)

Karen

ps Loved the Leaning Tower of Pisa (although it's been 18 years), especially the part with the staircase where you are actually going down AS you are going up!:rolleyes:

I will be doing the zipline in Ketch the first week in Aug. I will let you know how it compares to the one in Roatan when we get back.

This is a great thread since people have actually done this excursion.

DLTcard-What about taking cameras up on the zipline (disposable of course)? Did you see anyone with them?

I went on the zipline in Roatan and did not bring my camera for fear of dropping in but if your camera has a strap I would bring it along. It would be really easy to snap pictures of people in your group while you are on the platform. I don't think I would have had any problem getting a few shots while I was going across the line myself either!

I will definitely bring my cheap digital along when we do this in Aug.

Any new info about alaska zipline, i am trying to decide between the ship excursion or the private alaska zipline which meets at the tram. The time is actually better for the tram departure. I am thinking of sending my two kids alone, they are 16 and 20 so aren't too young, but would aprreciate comments about alaska zipline. Thanks, we leave in 12 days.

Archived