mexican folkloric show on our own

goingtocruise

goingtocruise,

Yeah I been trying to find info on this for awhile now... with no real results.

I contacted Melia resort in Cozumel, they emailed me with their schedule of shows... they were all in the evening.:(

I searched extensively for the forum shops (which is where the theater is located)... but nothing turned up. Travelocity excursions offered this excursion as well but all I could get off there was forum shops and no real definite times.

My mom and I really want to see this, so if all else fails, I guess we will book this thru Carnival. I guess we could try to catch a taxi to the forum shops and then hope to make a show...I believe the show starts at 11:00am - but not sure.

Not sure when you are sailing...I will be going on July 9th, I will post this info when I get back.

Michelle

MsMiMi,

Will be looking forward to your post. We will be sailing in Sept. I emailed the Cozumel tourism over a week ago, and no response. May book through RCCL just to make sure we see this show. Would like to have time to hire a taxi to take us to San Gervasio Ruins after the show. I don't think my mom can handle the walk to the bus in Playa Del Carmen that takes us to Tulum. (I've been there and done that with the kids...long day but great experience).

Enjoy yourself, the show sounds like it is good.

goingtocruise,

I surely will post when I get back... I got word from Solita (a CC member from Cozumel) who tells me that right now you have to book thru the cruise lines... as they haven't opened it up to the public? Not sure what the deal is with that... seems like to me if you showed up at showtime with $ in your hand, they wouldn't turn you away?:confused:

Oh well, I am booking the show with the cruise line today...

Michelle

Too bad you have to book thru the cruise line. I totally believe this, because there were a couple excursions I wanted to book last Dec but had to take the cruise line tour because of exclusive contracts. It worked out in the end. Will book it through RCCL as soon as they reopen their shore excursions on-line. Please still post when you get back. Let us know if the show was good or not.

• 4 weeks later...

goingtocruise,

Hey, I just returned from cozumel last week. We did book the excursion thru Carnival and we were disappointed because the morning we were heading to it, there was a letter in the door stating that it had been cancelled due to not enough people booking.:( So we took a taxi to the forum shops and tried to see if we could just buy the tickets there and see the show...

We were told by the people working there that they only had the show if the cruiseline had enough people to book it... said they do it if they have like at least 20 people or so... and that otherewise they just didn't have it. So that sucked.

So hopefully your cruise will have enough people interested to get to see it. I suggest having a "plan B", because we weren't notified until early that morning, which was too late to book another excursion. Which was really ok, since we had planned to mostly shop in this port anyways. (and it was raining and thundering - which probably sucked for the ones who were beaching it or out on the water).

Well, anyways, with all the curve balls we were thrown, we still had a wonderful time! It's a great island and we got some great deals!!

Michelle

Thanks for reporting back. Sorry you did not get to see the show. It's to bad they did not offer to book you in another excursion. I will have a plan B, but my mother really wants to do this show. This trip is for her and after talking her out of Tulum 9I've been there) because of the walking and the extremely long day. I really hope she gets to see this show. I think it looks like fun also. This is a show the kids did not care about seeing on our other trips to Cozumel. (They are staying home this time). Did you see anywhere to buy the Mexican skirts and tops, like they would have worn in the show. That is the thing Mom wants to buy. We also hope to find a taxi to take us to San Gervasio so she can see some ruins. I wish now that I would have booked a cruise that goes to more ports. I know she would have loved Jamaica.

Good luck, I hope you guys get to see it too! The forum shops are all the way at the end of the downtown area, I suggest if you want to do some shopping to start there and then walk back towards the pier area, and that way you can stop whereever you choose and have no problem finding a taxi to take you whereever.

I can't really say that we seen the outfits (shirts/skirts) like you mentioned, but I'm sure if you ask any of the store workers along the strip there, they can tell you where to find them.:) We were looking for things that weren't easily found on the strip, and one of gentlemen walked with us and showed us where to find what we wanted at a great price!

We found that if you walk back a street or two away from the main strip, they have the same merchandise (and more) and at a much cheaper price... and very willing to barter. We just had a marvelous day shopping there. Mom liked the stuff, and I like to do the bartering.:D

If you know your mom would have loved Jamaica, then she will definantly enjoy Cozumel. After you get done shopping, there are taxis just lined up along the strip waiting for people to transport. My only suggestion here (if you're not already aware of) is to negotiatie the price before agreeing and getting in the taxi. Oh yeah, and buckle up and pray - they drive like maniacs:eek:

Any other questions, feel free to ask! Not sure what other ports you stopping at... but we did see the shirts/skirts and Costa Maya.

Enjoy,

Michelle

Can someone give an estimate of how far the forum shops are from the area where Holiday passengers tender into Cozumel ? Evidently it is too far to walk??? Several people have posted about the taxi drivers driving like maniacs. I'm beginning to wonder if I want to ride in a taxi.:confused:

crooz1,

The forum shops are about ~3-4 miles away...not really that far of a walk. But not one I wanted to do in the heat and small amount of time in port. There are some shops right there, but the best shopping is in the downtown/forum shops area. The best thing to do, IMO, is catch a taxi where you tender in, ($3pp to downtown), and then shop as you're walking your way back towards the ship.

They do drive like maniacs, but the trip from the tender area to downtown, is a straightshot and you're never on a road that you get over ~ 35mph. It's a little scary just because they have no stop lights and no apparent right-of-way:confused:. But I don't think it's like a life threatening situation, just a little uncomfortable. Now, as far as getting in a taxi that went out on the island a ways, I would definantly be quite a bit more picky on who I got into the car with!!! (that's just me).

Thanks, MsMiMi!! Your information is just what I was looking for. I guess I'll take a taxi, pretend I'm on a thrill ride at some amusement park and hope for the best. :eek::D I appreciate your help!!!

Archived