Can someone please explain to me .....

Fun~N~Sun

What is the difference in the levels of the balcony cabins. We went on our first cruise and splurged and got a CAT 12 because there were 4 of us. This time we just want a balcony and not concerned with needing the space of a CAT 12. It may be just two of us or if there are 4 this time we may get two balconies just so we have two bathrooms.

You want a minimum of an 8A.

The "higher" the letter (A, B, D, F, H), the higher the deck, the location, or even an extended balcony (C, E, G, I).

The room layouts are all the same.

You want a minimum of an 8A.

The "higher" the letter, the higher the deck, the location, or even an extended balcony.

The room layouts are all the same.

So an 8A will get me, hopefully, the empress deck?

Nope. 8A's are on deck 4 - main

Empress would be 8D.

I think I was having a blonde moment now I get it! I think! So and 8 E, F, G, H, I might be a higher deck but may also have an extended balcony. Right?

Nope. Time to get out the sun in. :)

Only the CEGI's are extended.

Got it! Thanks! Can I ask another question? What is the advantage or disadvantage to a guarantee versus a non guarantee? If I pick my cabin number I am guaranteed to be in that one and and no upgrades will be offered. Correct?

Your odds are close to zero, but you can still be moved.

I had an 8C aft cabin booked, exact number, and found out I was "upgraded". I nearly flipped out until I found out it was still aft, but up two decks.

I only booked an 8A gty once, and ended up in an 8H, so I went up 4 decks from what could have been a worse case scenario.

All this talking of Fish and Chips has gotten me HUNGRY! :eek:

Got it! Thanks! Can I ask another question? What is the advantage or disadvantage to a guarantee versus a non guarantee? If I pick my cabin number I am guaranteed to be in that one and and no upgrades will be offered. Correct?

There are a few twists and turns to this one. With a guarantee, you will be given a cabin in that category (let's say 8A for now) but nothing lower. It's also possible that you will be upgraded to something higher within the category, like 8D and some have even been upgraded to 9, 11 or 12. Most upgrades though seem to be within the same category, in this case an 8. An upgrade or guarantee can also put you in a less desirable location.

If you book a specific cabin, the chances are less that you will be upgraded but it does happen. With a specific cabin, you know where you'll be and can pick a location that you like best from what is available.

I booked an 8A guarantee on my last cruise and ended up on the Lido deck ... pretty good location, IMO. However, if you don't book a specific cabin, it is possible you could end up above or below a noisy room/deck. Just FYI. If you book a specific room, you are less likely to be upgraded and won't be moved unless you don't fit the space requirements for that room. IE, even if you book two specific rooms, but only have two people in each and they are quad occupancy, you can conceivably be moved.

We had cabins 7358 and 7360 on the Empress deck on the Valor last December, and those were cat. 8B balcony cabins, not D. Think that the 8D's were probably the larger cabins farther forward. If you check the color coding on the deck plans, it should tell you which category the cabin is.

Hope that helps.

"Scout" aka Carol

Dayton, OH

Carnival Valor~December 2005

What is the difference in the levels of the balcony cabins. We went on our first cruise and splurged and got a CAT 12 because there were 4 of us. This time we just want a balcony and not concerned with needing the space of a CAT 12. It may be just two of us or if there are 4 this time we may get two balconies just so we have two bathrooms.
Just curious...where is Falling Waters? I was born and raised around Bluefield,W.Va. . My wife and I graduated from Bluefield State College,but never heard of Falling Waters.

Just curious...where is Falling Waters? I was born and raised around Bluefield,W.Va. . My wife and I graduated from Bluefield State College,but never heard of Falling Waters.

Falling Waters is in the Eastern Panhandle of West Virgina, between Martinsburg, WV and Hagerstown, MD. There is only 26 Miles on I-81 in this area between the Virgina Line and the Maryland Line. If you know anything about Civil War History it is 20 Minutes from Harpers Ferry, 50 minutes from Gettysburg, PA and 25 Minutes from Antietam/Sharpsburg, MD. I should know as I live in the Hagerstown, MD area and I grew up in Martinsburg, WV. We are also 1 1/2 hours away from either Washington,DC or Baltimore, MD.

Fun~N~Sun...hi neighbor.

Fun~N~Sun...I hope you have a great time on your cruise...we too are getting a balcony for our next cruise in February 2008 for the Southern Caribbean Cruise with Carnival Destiny. From what I have heard once you get a balcony you never want to go back to a room without one...lol.

If you want to contact me my email is chrly_grl@hotmail.com.

• 8 months later...
I am confused. I am on Panorama Deck and I was told 8A.:confused:

Quite sure there are no 8A cabins on that deck. Probably an 8D or 8E.

Check out the deck plans on Carnival site, plus if you have a booking # it will tell you your cabin # unless you booked a guarantee.

I have booked a 9A on the Pride (Mexican Rivieria) for June 17th. The room is 7301 on the Verandah. We did this because we are traveling with two kids. Anyone know how nice or big the room is? My last cruise was a girls only with my grown daughters and we had the bottom of the barrel rooms. Wasnt a big deal for us since we were never in them but I can only imagine my nine year old bouncing from wall to wall in that small of a cabin.

We are booked a 9A on the Glory. It is classified with the regular balcony cabins, not a suite. The difference is it is a little bit of an odd configuration due to being an aft corner cabin and we will have a balcony that wraps around the corner, so the balcony ends up being about twice the size of a normal balcony. Would hate an upgrade as there are only a couple of 9A's on board and I can't imagine what kind of an upgrade could be given for this category.

Carol

WCAB...you will love that cabin. I visited some friends in a cabin that had the wrap balcony (not sure which deck) but it was great! Enjoy!

My 2 cents, and I never have made complete sense of the differant cat's, but I prefer not to go up in decks....more motion sensation for me...so usually the upper deck which has cabins 8A is what I pick. Although next time I may have to try and get one of those corner aft cabins:D

MAO

Archived