Buying a Tux

JerseyJim2

For those gentlemen wishing to wear a tuxedo on Formal Nights, I would recommend buying rather than renting. Here are my reasons:

1) Renting a tux with accessories and shoes for a 7 day cruise costs $85 to $110. I bought a worsted wool tux (used in mint condition) with new shoes, new shirt, cufflinks, studs, bowtie and cummubund for $214. That included all custom alterations! Now I own a tux that fits me perfectly. I can use it on all future cruises and black tie events (there is one of these every couple of years).

2) Once you own your own tux, you can accessorize with different color tie/cummubunds, vests, suspenders, etc. The combinations are numerous. A matching tie/cummerbund combo is only about $15 to $25. With some different combinations, you can work a different look for each night.

3) Renting takes time. Going to the rental place to be fitted. Going back again to pick up your tux. And finally, rushing back after the cruise to return the tux before $30/day penalties kick in. You get to repeat this cycle every time you rent.

4) Rentals rarely fit very well and it shows. They are "as-is" and the rental store may not have your ideal size. When you buy, alterations to the sleeves, cuffs and shoulders assure a perfect fit. I am a tall and thin guy and my size is not easy to find without alterations.

Jim

I agree with Jim. If you are going to need a tux more than a couple of times it pays to buy your own. My husband and I joined our local community chorus and the men have to wear tuxes. We had a cruise coming up and he went ahead and bought one. It is there for a few concerts a year and when we take a cruise again. He got lucky and ended up with a new one. He is a big/tall guy and the shop had one special ordered for someone who never picked it up. It was his size and he got it for in-between the new and used price.

I bought one for my son (with all accesories) on ebay for $100. He had a prom this spring and a cruise this summer. He will also have a prom next spring. Now I bought one for DH so my son isn't the only one wearing a tux on the cruise. $45 with shipping. Both tuxes are wool!

Stefanie

At the table across from ours there was a gentlemen dressed in a tux. As we were leaving I stopped to tell him how nice he looked and how much I appreciated seeing people dress up for dinner. Everything thought I was weird but we see so many posts complaining about the people in jeans so I thought I should pass on a compliment when it was due.

My DH wore a very nice suit and looked great but I would like him to get a tux. I think they look so sensational and never go out of style.

When my son is older (18 mths now!) he will learn to dress up for special occassions and not have to run and change as soon as possible.

I'm in total agreement about purchasing a tux, but only IF there are a lot of formal social functions that you attend.

My son, 34, bought his first tux when he was about 22, and wore it several times a year. He bought an updated one a coupla years ago. Tuxes are a good investment, and he occasionally buys new accessories. (We're in an area where there is always something going on - many Mardi Gras balls and other formal occasions during each year.)

However..........there are lotsa folks who don't have a reason to purchase a tux, except for the occasional cruise, etc., and for those guys, I'd say RENT the tux, shoes, and accessories. The ship's rentals aren't much, are they?

That brings me to a (maybe stupid) question: The ship's formal shop does rent shoes to go w/the tux, right? I've never noticed, but I can't imagine not having the formal shoes. Their storage of this must be a huge area. How could they stock so many pr. of shoes, plus all the sizes of shirts, etc. - Silly Cotton, I need to quit thinking, but I have this, er, inquiring mind........:rolleyes:

After our first cruise, my husband bought a tux for $99 at a store in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area called K&G Men's Wear. It is only open Thurs-Sun in order to keep their prices down. Other cities may have stores like this. It is a nice-looking tux and he will be wearing it on our fifth cruise in December. He's definitely gotten his money's worth out of it!!

I bought my tux at a formal wear store. I got one of their used rentals and they made all of the alerations so it fits me. They also gave me 2 shirts, 2 vests w/ties, and two sets of buttons. :D I gave around $85 for the whole thing. I forgot it last cruise and had to rent one from a shop we found on the way to the port. That cost me $130 and was for just the tux, one shirt and one tie. :eek: I think they run around $125 on board, but you need to reserve them ahead of time so they will have your size.

Before my wife and I sailed on the Miracle in May I wanted to by a Tux....get really dressed up on the formal nights....but my wife thought that it was silly to buy one just for the cruise. Two weeks prior to our departure date we were in a local men's store for something else and I noticed that there was a Tux Department....so I thought that I would at least check out the prices....so as I am looking and checking the prices I was shocked to find out how much weight I had gained....so I kept moving down the rack and the sizes kept getting bigger and bigger, needless to say I was alittle embarassed. But I find this tux that had a "western" cut...and I thought this would look really great with my lizard skin boots....well I reach down and look at the price...and it was only $58.00. So, needless to say I was wearing a tux at both of the formal nights. Even funnier, my wife says that for only $58.00 it probably doesn't come with the pants.

The salesman told us that the price was so low because of the "western" cut...that it just isn't popular. So, it had been marked down just to get rid of it.

There are several good sources for an inexpensive tux. I bought mine at a large rental store (Barry's in Passaic, New Jersey). They are huge and have a tremendous stock of new and used merchandise. Now that the prime prom and wedding season is over, there are lots of bargains to be had.

eBay is another good source if you don't mind not seeing the tux in person before buying. There are used and new as well.

There are also several on-line tux shops that have packages you can order to your exact size. The pants legs/cuffs will have to be altered locally but everything else is included.

The main reason I went with a Brick and Mortar store was the material. In my price range the on-line and eBay merchants were selling polyester and polyester blend suits. I really wanted 100% wool for the look and quality. New wool tuxedo packages ran $300+.

I have bought used clothing on eBay and am rarely disappointed. However for a used tux I was more comfortable buying one I could inspect for any signs of wear or damage. I large, high volume quality rental store should have good choices.

Jim

Archived