Live review Pride of Aloha 6/9/2006 sailing

Cease1955

I read your item w/interest until I gt to the "booze" part. My shipmate and I were part of the reason that your cabin was delayed. We boarded 6/2/06 and got she got very ill on 6/5/06. Shortly after that I follwed suit and we spent most of our cruise confined to our room. I have since learned that the preceding cruise was also sick. One reason why it took so long to clean our room is that it was never vacuumed all the time we were on board. Since my cabin mate is terminally ill and has undergone chemo & radiation I attempted to leave the ship w/her but could not get air back to the mainland. I feel that after the ship had experienced several cruises with ill patrons, we should have been notified BEFORE we boarded and been given the opportunity to make other plans. I had specifically notified both my travel agent and NCL of her problems and they assured me she would be safe. One of the reason's why service was so bad was that the staff was also ill and were not allowed to be treated by Dr. Dixon until after all the ill passengers were treated, thus spreading it even further among the well staff and passengers. The one perk we received was $100. per day credit that could only be spent on board BEFORE we departed. Since we were confined to our cabin- this was not a perk as far as I was concerned. They have refused to reimburse us for the charge to to change our return flight from San Francisco to NY State. I am filing a claim w/travel insurance for this and for our follow up visits to our personal physicians since we came home, but probably will not get anything since both the travel agency and insurance company are owned by NCL or have a relationship w/NCL. I intend to chalk it up to a bad experience and hope it doesn't have any long term effects on my friend who only wanted to see Hawaii before she dies.

I read your item w/interest until I gt to the "booze" part. My shipmate and I were part of the reason that your cabin was delayed. We boarded 6/2/06 and got she got very ill on 6/5/06. Shortly after that I follwed suit and we spent most of our cruise confined to our room. I have since learned that the preceding cruise was also sick. One reason why it took so long to clean our room is that it was never vacuumed all the time we were on board. Since my cabin mate is terminally ill and has undergone chemo & radiation I attempted to leave the ship w/her but could not get air back to the mainland. I feel that after the ship had experienced several cruises with ill patrons, we should have been notified BEFORE we boarded and been given the opportunity to make other plans. I had specifically notified both my travel agent and NCL of her problems and they assured me she would be safe. One of the reason's why service was so bad was that the staff was also ill and were not allowed to be treated by Dr. Dixon until after all the ill passengers were treated, thus spreading it even further among the well staff and passengers. The one perk we received was $100. per day credit that could only be spent on board BEFORE we departed. Since we were confined to our cabin- this was not a perk as far as I was concerned. They have refused to reimburse us for the charge to to change our return flight from San Francisco to NY State. I am filing a claim w/travel insurance for this and for our follow up visits to our personal physicians since we came home, but probably will not get anything since both the travel agency and insurance company are owned by NCL or have a relationship w/NCL. I intend to chalk it up to a bad experience and hope it doesn't have any long term effects on my friend who only wanted to see Hawaii before she dies.

I'd argue about the flight. One party member in our group (June 4 to 11 cruise) was too ill to board the plane home on Sunday. NCLA put her and her daughter and son-in-law up in a very nice hotel and arranged for another flight home, at no expense to us. It was one of the few things they did right--except for the per diem food allowance which was an is an issue unfortunately.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris,

I was not going to make any comments but I think I better say something. I was on the same 10th deck with you, two cabins down from you and we had chet before. Infact we had dinner once together. However, I don't agree with holding tips for the hard working crew. I do agree that service was poor and food was not so great. Don't you think this could be because we have cruised before and try to compare service with other cruise lines. For this cruise trip, NCL should have done more to inform passengers but hey... they are in the business and you must agree that they were doing their best to prevent the problem. They were helpful and trying. As some one said before that this POA is mostly for training the staff. If not, but it looked like it. You can tell guys were not properly trained.

I am surprised that you did not pay tips. I believe you had mentioned that because of your airline employee discount you had only paid about about $320 per person and you refused to pay tips????? On top of that, we all got $150/cabin off or credit on cruise? It seems that you almost had free ride and complaining so much!!!!!!!! In fact considering the what it cost you for the trip, you should have paid extra tips.....

Well, I better stop... Tare care and have a good one...............Mitchem

Archived