Just Returned from Voyager

easy dad

Wife and I just returned from a wonderful cruise on the Voyager, sailing from Civitavecchia (for Rome) to Monte Carlo 6/2 - 6/9. The crew was friendly and helpful. The food was superb. Our waiter, Abraham, took very good care of us. In another thread, I read where someone thought the portions were too small. Thank heaven they were not huge. After six or seven courses, I was stuffed! And I'm not a small person. We found the portions to be just right. Signatures was awsome! We ate all breakfasts in La Veranda because we had early tours. The staff in La Veranda carried your plates to your table after you filled them from the buffet and placed your order for omlets, pancakes or whatever. We ate all but two meals in Compass Rose and were well fed.

The only detractor was that there were two large groups where the respective companies paid for the cruise. One was a group of electricians and the other a group of drug reps. Many of them did not recognize that there was a dress code and wore cut-offs and "tee" shirts in the public places after 6 pm and did not wear jackets on the informal nights. I saw some crew asking some to leave but many went about on their own. My guess is that they just couldn't change from the mass market cruises that suited them better.

We were in room 870, and there is a vibration that is not felt forward of the laundry area. The vibration is not bad. It's just there pretty much all the time, at sea, and in port. I'm a 28 year Navy retiree, with a lot of sea time on large ships (aircraft carriers). The Med is generally smooth but the first night there were some long low swells, and the combination of the swells and the speed of the ship made us move around a little more than usual. (We had friends well forward and they didn't feel the ship moving). My wife is prone to sea sickness but with daily pills she did just fine. I booked another cruise on Voyager for next year, but in a cabin in the middle of the boat.

We expected to be treated well and we were not disappointed. We did not want to leave.

Don't miss Kenny Smiles, and sit in the front row to get a good view of his show.

Do you know if Kenny Smiles will be on the ship awhile longer? We are boarding the Voyager this Sunday, the 19th of June and would love to see him again. His shows are hysterical and I especially love his clothing!

Cheers, Pam

Pam,

We had several one-on-one discussions with Kenny. He left Voyager on 6/9 in Monaco for the Navigator in the Baltic. He will rejoin Voyager in the Baltic and I think work both ships. Later in the year he will be joined by his son who is also an entertainer.

George

Welcome back, George,

I'm glad you had a good cruise.

Are the new linens and bedding in place on the Voyager? And did you hear anything about proposed changes when "all inclusive" goes into effect in 2007?

Thanks for posting about your positive experience.

Pincus

Pincus,

Regent didn't appear to have the new linens yet and I didn't hear anything concerning "all inclusive" for 2007. My wife does not drink alcohol and I'm a beer and wine person. Since wine was amply provided at dinner, I didn't even open the two bottles that were provided in my cabin. Sodas were replaced every day which made my wife happy.

George

We were on the same cruise and had a similar wonderful experience. Some of the electicians looked like Carnival refugees, but were well behaved except for their dress and that was a small minority. Drug reps were young and obviously having a good time which is what cruising is all about. We had great shore excursions and ate several meals ashore. Portofino is my favorite of the ports we visited. Service was impeccable. Food was great as usual on rssc. Looking forward to our cruise next year. When others talk about all inclusive, are they speaking of not having to pay for drinks outside the dining rooms?

• 2 weeks later...

I found this post interesting because I have just booked for the same trip on Voyager on 7 October. I would be interested in any information on the excursions. Portofino was mentioned; what were the options? Similarly at the other ports.

I recently got back from a Mariner Cruise from Vancouver to Whittier and if the Western Med experience matches that for sheer enjoyment, I will be a happy person.

I am hoping to have a look at Voyager when she moors in London in early September.

Portofino was very nice. After we got off the boat, we walked around the small harbor of Portofino and had lunch. Then we took the Regent tour by boat to Rapallo and St. Margarita. After the boat tour there was still time to explore Portofino.

Portofino was my favorite port. Quite small, but drop dead gorgeous. We also took the cruise/tour to Rappalo. Since the ship did not leave until 11:00pm, we ate ashore at O'Magazin. Wonderful seafood meal and a friendly waiter who knew how to keep English speaking tourists happy. Enjoyed talking to a group of Texans on a chartered 144' yacht. Now that would be the way to go! 100,000 euros per week plus expenses for 12 people.

Just got back from the June 19th Voyager sailing the Baltic from Dover. We heard that the Voyager sometime in the Fall will be in drydock for new linens and carpeting throughout. The carpeting in both the rooms and the common areas is pretty well stained. Also Kenny Smiles is taking a leave of absense and going to Wales for an operation.

Thank you easy dad and jwas1 for the info on Portofino. How about the other ports of call, Livorno, St Tropez, Marseille, Sete and Monte Carlo? Were there any notable shore excursions you, or anyone else can recommend?

OrpingtonT: I thought the Amalfi Coast south of Sorrento was breathtaking. At Livorno we took the trip to Siena and St. Gimignano because we visited Florence pre-cruise. Long bus ride, but pretty villages. In St. Tropez we visited the peninsula hilltop villages in Province. These were also very nice.

Archived