Is there a movie theatre on spirit?

Blossum

No, there is no dedicated movie theater on the Spirit. They do show some movies in the Stardust Theater but there aren't a lot of showings. When I was on the Spirit, they typically had only one screening and it was at 11pm, which I thought was too late for many people. The movies were generally not G movies, mostly PG or PG-13.

I was on the 2nd to last cruise of the Spirit before drydock last fall. I was really sorry to hear that they were going to be removing the cinema. It was a nice room with comfortable seating, and my elderly parents used it every day on our cruise. Oh well.

How's the seating in the conference room? Sounds uncomfortable for a whole movie.

We went to ONE movie in the conference room on the NCL Sky. It was not great. Since there is no leveled seating - if you're near the back, stuck behind someone kinda tall - it's not real easy to see the whole screen. Also, the seats are just the seats that would be in a coference room....not very cushy. But I guess it would work fine if you have a real hankerin' to see a movie.

Hikini:D

How's the seating in the conference room? Sounds uncomfortable for a whole movie.

The chairs are the same type padded free standing chairs that you would find at seminars at hotels and what not...the floor is level--so tall people up front make for obstacles. The Movie screen is a big screen TV.

Deck 8 Conference room

All the movies they would have played in the Cinema are played several times on the ship's local TV channels. You can see all the movies from within your cabin.While I'll admit the TV screen sizes aboard the ships are small, the movie cinema screen is also small compared to what you'll see ashore.

The chairs are the same type padded free standing chairs that you would find at seminars at hotels and what not...the floor is level--so tall people up front make for obstacles. The Movie screen is a big screen TV.

Deck 8 Conference room

Thanks that's what I thought. It's a shame they didn't leave the theater and take out a conference room

Americans tend to buy a lot of gifts, unlike Asians. The Spirit didn't have a proper gift shop, and something had to go to find the space for one. Looking at the Spirit's deck plans, it was obvious to most the likely space would come from the Business Center and Picture House. Before the drydock last fall the Spirit had 5 conference rooms, it is now down to three. Believe it or not, these conference rooms are important for a cruise ship, wedding receptions and other private parties are scheduled in them.

On top of lacking a proper sized gift shop, the Spirit was also lacking space for a proper Photo Gallery. There is a reason why cruise lines take photos, people buy them. To sell the photos, they have to be able to post them all properly.

Only two of NCL's ships have a movie theater, the Dawn and Star. None of the other ships have a movie theater. Frankly, a movie theater isn't a revenue generator as much as a gift shop and/or photo gallery. Therefore, NCL didn't think twice about changing the situation. NCL would be better off using the space to rent or sell DVDs, on the Sun all the staterooms have DVD players, than keeping a movie theater.

On my Alaska cruise on the Spirit when the theater still existed, there were only a few people watching the movies in it. Just a few. No wonder why its gone.

On my Alaska cruise on the Spirit when the theater still existed, there were only a few people watching the movies in it. Just a few. No wonder why its gone.

On the AK cruise we took on the Spirit last September, the theater was used quite a bit. Almost full to capacity. They also used it for a talk from the P&C consultant about future bookings.

On the Star, most of the time some in our group went to the theater, it was full by the time the movie started.

I agree that it's not a "revenue generator" but neither is the game room(s) or the pools(s) and things like that.

I wish they hadn't removed the theater but that's just my opinion.:)

I completely agree with Hikini - they shouldn't have removed the theater. Or at least they should have relocated it. On both my Star and Dawn cruises, the movie theater was almost always full. For many people, watching a movie in the cabin on a 13" tv just isn't the same as seeing it in a theater (even a small one).

Archived