Hawaii excursions or self tours w/ a 16 month old

PhillyEagle

We're taking one of the Hawaii cruises and will have our 16 month old with us. We were looking at a couple of the beach day excursions, but wanted to get anyone's thoughts on anything they've done w/ a young toddler in Hawaii. We've got 1 day each at Kona and Hilo on the big island and 2 days each in Maui and Kauai.

Quickly scanned a few pages and didn't see anything on this topic - if I missed something please bring that to my attention.

Thanks in advance!

I just posted on page two about outings in Hawaii and someone wrote this:

We were on the Island Princess for the Hawaii cruise and we went to the Sea Life Park in Honolulu (should be good for your twins), the beach in back of the Marriot in Kauai, a snorkeling trip off of Maui, and a sightseeing tour of teh east coast of Hawaii. We couldn't tender into Kona because of the high waves but we were just going to wing it there.

The beach is alwasy a good answer. When my girls were 18 months old we took them to Mexico and honestly the concierge on the ship was very very very helpful. He recommended several hotels that we could go to for very little cost (10-15 for the taxi and either free or 10 fee for use of the hotels facilities). In fact we brought our own towls from the ship and then just hung out at the pools or on the beach and my girls had great fun. Bring along some blow up toys for the pools. We did lots of walking around at the various ports shopping and stuff and my girls were content to ride in an umbrella stroller becuase everything was so new and exciting. They did amazingly well. Just beware that unless your child is potty trained you will be unable to use most or all pool facilities on the ship. I am not sure which line you are on but we were on celebrity and they couldnt use any facilites (pool or child area). Now that they are potty trained, whew, we are going to Hawaii in December on the Summit for 14 days! I am pretty excited. Hope you have fun, too.

Archived