Hawaii excursions or self-tours w/ a 16 month old

PhillyEagle

I posted this in the Family Cruise area as well, but thought I might catch some others in this forum. We're taking one of the Hawaii cruises and will have our 16 month old with us. We were looking at a couple of the beach day excursions, but wanted to get anyone's thoughts on anything they've done w/ a young toddler in Hawaii. We've got 1 day each at Kona and Hilo on the big island and 2 days each in Maui and Kauai.

Quickly scanned a few pages and didn't see anything on this topic - if I missed something please bring that to my attention.

Thanks in advance!

I know Suebee's had some good recommendation for cruising Hawaii with kids in the past - maybe she'll jump in here. Though pretty sure none of her kids were as young as 16 months at the time. Beach time is always good - if they get tired, you can shade them with a blanket (or bring other forms of shade) and let them sleep. We'll be doing it in November with a (at the time) 17 month old so I'll be interested in seeing the responses myself!

Spleen

Spleen - one area that we found while researching last night is Lydgate State Park on Kauai. It's on the East Shore, just a little bit north of the Port. Supposedly there is a shallow pond that is great for little kids; they say it's a great fish feeding area also. There's also a playground there, along with a regular beach w/ lifeguards, showers, etcetera.

Here's a link with some other ideas:

http://www.slowtrav.com/usa/hawaii/sb_kauai.htm

Hi Spleen is right.....my kids were 3 and 5 when we moved here so I have never had a toddler in Hawaii.

Philly - Your title says "excursions or self-tours"....I am big on self tours with kids. Not that my kids are unruly, but they are kids and the are on their own nature clocks. Feedings, potty (or diaper) times, naps, tantrums all seem to come at closer intervals when we are around a lot of people! LOL! :) I have found through our travels (and my kids have been from Japan to Australia to the northeast and soon to Europe) that MOST people will be OK with your child being around if you are very conscientious and really try to keep them entertained and happy. Its the parents that dont notice their child screaming or digging into other people's stuff that irritate the other passengers. That being said, a long bus ride when your child isnt a travelling sort is not a very good idea. Being in your own rental (and own car seat....please bring their own carseat!) makes things more peaceful and you can stop at any given time for a break.

The tours will depend on your child. At 2, my daughter would love to jump in to zoo cages and play with the 'kitties' (HA HA!!!) but my son is still at 6, afraid of animals. My daughter also loves the beach and water whereas after 3 years here, my son is just starting to like the beach!

You child might like the place of refuge in Kona because you can often see turtles come right up to the edge of the beach...and for the adults, it will be cultural.

The park on Kauai you discovered sounds great, however we have never been there.

On Maui, there is an ocean center which is a small aquarium. Last time we were there, there was a free shuttle from the ship too. While only a brief diversion, there is a banyan tree in Lahaina that gets very noisy at sunset at hundreds of birds come back to nest. My kids loved getting an ice cream and playing under the tree before heading back to the ship. Banyans have a lot of dangling roots, and places to climb in and out of. My daughter loved watching the birds.

I can help more with Oahu since we live here. It sounds like you are all set with Oahu though.

If you need more 'tips for travelling with kids', let me know. I think my kids are just out of range for specifics on Hawaii though.

I hope I helped at least a little.

Thanks for the response Suebee - yes, we've ruled out any excursions w/ long motorcoach or other vehicle trips for the reasons you mentioned.

The Maui Ocean Center was another one that we highlighted as a good possibiliy. I'll look into the place of refuge on Kona. Thanks again!

Archived