another money exchange question

i will be doing my own things in the ports--saint jonh, nb and halifax . i will not be at either on on a sunday. i know i want to do alot of shopping and eating along with taking tours and investigation things on my own. should i plan on using the atm machine to get canadian money ( is there a big charge to use them ) or will there be a bank close by that i can go too?

thanks for any info.

We used the ATM machines in Vancouver last year and got a pretty good exchange rate. The best rate however is on your credit card. We used the credit card as much as possible and paid it all off as soon as it came in.

actually the better rate was at the ATM through Citibank and now most banks charge a 3% or so fee on Foreign Credit card transaction including Canada. The ATM is better than most banks charge to change money or travelers cheques and is probably more than the 3% credit card fee. So Atm followed by Credit card is the way I do it.

We just returned from Boston-Montreal cruise on HAL. We did not exchange currency. Had no problem giving anyone US dollars but got Canadian dollars in change. Some places will add exchange rate to US & give you change back from that amount (US $20 = $21 Canadian) and we thought that was very honorable of those merchants. Tried to use leftover Canadian the last day of stay in Montreal.

We charged larger puchases with no problem.

Linda

The exchange rate fluctuates, so $1US will probably get you about $1.10 CDN (give or take a couple of pennies depending on the day).

Most places in Montreal will give you an exchange rate and if it's not posted you should ask the merchant to do so. Many post the exhcange rate they offer but never be shy about asking.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

US cash is readily excepted in Canada, and exchanged at all Banks (wish it was that easy in US). Last week on a trip to Niagara Falls exchange house would give between 5 & 10 on the dollar.

Also being a Banker myself I can tell you it is cheaper and easier to exchange at a local Bank. The question for your self is it worth the time for 2 or 3 cents on the dollar.

Archived