New Uniworld Cruiser Needs Help

special cruiser

Been on many ocean cruises, but this July will be our first river cruise.

My husband is not taking a suit, and he even wants to know if a sportcoat is necessary? He is also a manhattan drinker, and wants to know if he can get that on the ship? Also the cost of those kind of drinks? Are we allowed to bring our own booze aboard? Any information will be helpful. Thanks

We have done two Uniworld river cruises, Russian river cruise - Moscow to St. Petersburg, and Bucharest to Vienna.

Jackets for men are not necessary. A jacket might be appropriate if dining ashore in an upscale restaurant, but even then it is not mandatory. Some men did wear jackets at the Captain's cocktails and dinner, but again it is not mandatory. The mode of dress is not equal to that on ocean cruise ships.

The bartenders can make martinis, manhattans, etc. We don't recall the specific dollar amount, which was added to our shipboard account, but it was reasonable.

As a Jack Daniels drinker, I did bring a good supply on board both cruises without a problem.

Have a great trip.

We too have done two Uniworld cruises. I agree with the above on the dress "code". I will likely take a blazer on our Aug trip from Bucharest to Prague, but I don't feel it is a requirement. Some folks dressed up a bit for the captains dinner and also I wore one when dining ashore on our previous trips.

As far as the bar goes I have had dry manhattens for my wife served. I do not recall the price. I do recall that a gin and tonic cost more than a twelve year old single malt scotch. This was due to the fact that they treated it as two drinks. Gin about $5.00 and Tonic About $2.50. As I recall the scotch was $5.50. give or take.

Don

We too have done two Uniworld cruises. I agree with the above on the dress "code". I will likely take a blazer on our Aug trip from Bucharest to Prague, but I don't feel it is a requirement. Some folks dressed up a bit for the captains dinner and also I wore one when dining ashore on our previous trips.

As far as the bar goes I have had dry manhattens for my wife served. I do not recall the price. I do recall that a gin and tonic cost more than a twelve year old single malt scotch. This was due to the fact that they treated it as two drinks. Gin about $5.00 and Tonic About $2.50. As I recall the scotch was $5.50. give or take.

Don

I don't know why it posted twice as but that is the second time it has happened to me. sorrry!!!!!

As far as bringing booze on board we had no problem. The only restriction was if you purchased wine ashore and wanted to have it at the dinner table they charged a corkage fee. If I recall correctly about $7.00 or $7.50. Even this was forgiven on two occasions.

Hope this helps and have a great cruise.

Don

Thanks for the information. My husband will have his manhattan's no matter how much they cost. Happy hour is 4:30, and he very seldom misses it. I know we will plan on taking along our own booze, so we can have a drink while we are getting ready for dinner. He also was happy to hear that he does not need to take his sportcoat. Thanks again!

Archived