Cruises cancelled b/c of low reservation rate?

mirrajay

I am just wondering if this is possible....I havent found anyone on the boards that is going on my cruise (not that that is a REAL indication of how many people have booked) and from looking at sites and "pretending" to want to book it, it looks like TONS of cabins are still available. We arent sailing until October...Do most people really wait that long to book their cruises?

Do they ever cancel a cruise b/c not enough people signed up??

No, Carnival never cancels a cruise unless there's some sort of emergency. It's not uncommon at this time of year for October cruises to be open--kids are back in school, so the usual vacationers are back at work. If the cruise stays open closer to the time, Carnival will start dropping prices (as do any of the cruiselines) to fill up cabins. There are a lot of savvy snowbirds down in Florida by then, along with residents, who know that & will wait until the last minute to grab good rates. The ship will ultimately go out fully booked--there may not be as full occupancy as during heavy season (maybe only 1 or 2 passengers to a cabin that can hold more), but it'll probably be sold out. Carnival figures that people who've paid less for their cruise are going to be buying drinks, pictures, etc., & will be tipping the crew, so it counterbalances the lower cabin rate.

I have never in all my years, heard of a cruise cancelling because there wasn't enough passengers. They probably have more people on board than you think. The winter months are off season and the ships aren't always as full, but they always sail. If they are really low on passengers they will drop the price often trying to get more passengers. We got a really good last minute deal in January because a cruises prices dropped so much that we couldn't pass up the deal. That ship ended up pretty full. Don't worry, your ship will sail and you'll have a blast. And keep your eye on the prices too. If the price you paid drops you can call your TA and ask for an upgrade or ships credit.

Woo hoo! Good to know!!

What is the final word on if you can get credit if the price drops after you have made final payment? I have heard some people say you are out of luck and other say they have had no problems.

Thanks everyone!

Archived