Snorkeling

maf101

I'm curious about snorkeling. I can't swim very well and I've never tried snorkeling.

How difficult is it to snorkel on the islands? We are going to Dravuni Island, Yasawa-I-Rara, Mystery Island and Ouvea. What is the snorkeling like at these places? Can you see any fish and is the coral mostly dead or can you see different colours?

Has anyone been in August? I'm worried it is going to be freezing cold.

Amart has some cheap snorkel sets for $35 reduced from $70. They include the flippers, snorkel and mask. Would these sets be any good or would I need a more expensive set?

Thanks,

Michelle.

Michelle, I wouldn't think it gets really cold anytime of the year there.The snorkelling is fab. I don't swim far now,but there is no need to on the islands I have been too. Mystery is easy,go to the far side of the island from where the ship is.You only need to go out a few feet.Dravuni is good too.Haven't been to the others you mentioned but I should imagine there similar.Isle of pines was good too. Haver a look at my pics using an underwater pouch on the digital.I don't use flippers anymore,to much hassle.I wear reef sandals.Try to buy a good silicone mask (not from Kmart) from a sports store.I use one called "Black Magic" it was $80 set.Lets hear how you got on...Brenda

http://community.webshots.com/user/cruisediva

Brenda, your pictures are gorgeous. I've seen them before but it doesn't hurt to have another look. I must admit it was your underwater pictures that got me interested in snorkeling. I'm going to need an underwater camera as well.

I am also not a strong swimmer and get worried when my feet cant touch the bottom. You can literally just walk out to snorkel on a lot of the islands.

If you are worried try it out at home in the sink or bath. I started to hyperventilate whenever i put my head under but still managed to have a great time.

I wouldnt bother taking flippers either they take up far too much room and not really needed for the beginner. I just stayed on top of the water instead of diving down.

Watch those bare backs in the sun though they get burnt very easily.

have fun

karon

In February we were able to buy a cheap underwater camera on the ship. Buy it from the camera/photography place not the kiosks. I think it was $24.95 it included processing and it had a flash and was also reusable. It took pretty good photos for a cheap camera.

Yasawa has lots of coral I think coz the tenders had trouble going in on low tide because of it.

Hi Brenda

Can you please let me know where you bought your underwater pouch from for your digital camera & how much & can they be used for all digital cameras

Your pictures were great.

Thanks

Helen

Chook, heres the link to the site that sells the underwater pouches,they come from America. All up it came to $66 Aus delivered. We tried it out with tissues at home! Then we used the "old digital" in case. But it worked perfect.

http://stores.ebay.com.au/GoShotCamera_Underwater-camera-cases_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZ1399213QQftidZ2QQtZkm

I bought my snorkeling gear from Amart All Sports. I ended up getting a Tusa reef tourer set. It's usually $100 but I paid $75 with the 25% off sale. Yay! I also got some diving boots in case I don't want to use the flippers. They were only $20. I'm pleased I finally convinced my sister to snorkel with me. She bought a snorkel set too.

I was also wondering about the underwater pouches. I saw them on eBay and I didn't know if they'd be any good. We have an old digital camera. How long did it take for them to deliver it to Australia?

Wow, I'm impressed. They are lovely pictures. I saved picture 18 as my desktop wallpaper. I hope you don't mind.

I'm surprised you get to see so many fish. I hope they don't bite!

Thats fine,I'm glad you liked them. If the weather had been sunnier they would be a lot clearer. I was most impressed with the pouch. I have used the cheap disposables before but these are far clearer. Now you will have to show us yours when you get back!!! :) A good tip with the snorkels,I keep mine in an old pillowcase. The worst thing you can do is throw them on the sand.Rinse them out with a bit of shampoo when you get back to ship,ready for the next time. Have fun

I bought my snorkeling gear from Amart All Sports. I ended up getting a Tusa reef tourer set. It's usually $100 but I paid $75 with the 25% off sale. Yay! I also got some diving boots in case I don't want to use the flippers. They were only $20. I'm pleased I finally convinced my sister to snorkel with me. She bought a snorkel set too.

I was also wondering about the underwater pouches. I saw them on eBay and I didn't know if they'd be any good. We have an old digital camera. How long did it take for them to deliver it to Australia?

I'm not a strong swimmer but I am absolutley addicted to snorkelling. You should use the flippers, makes it a lot easier.

We found a very cheap digital camera (3meg)with a case for $99 at Strathfield Car Radio last year. It took some reasonable pics. Not sure if you have any Strathfields near you, but keep an eye out, also JB HiFi. The ship was selling an underwater camera for under $30 (not digital but reusable).

We found a very cheap digital camera (3meg)with a case for $99 at Strathfield Car Radio last year. It took some reasonable pics. Not sure if you have any Strathfields near you, but keep an eye out, also JB HiFi.

We do have a Strathfield in Ipswich. We mostly shop in Brisbane. We live about 30 minutes away from Brissy.

I phoned Strathfield just now and they no longer sell the underwater cameras. I haven't looked in other stores like JB Hifi and WOW Sight and Sound.

We're most likely going to get the underwater case for my sisters old 4MP Kodak camera. She bought a new camera last year and kind of disowned the old one. Typical teenage behavior.

Archived