Front Street

calij11

Does anyone know if there is a map of front street that shows the locations of the shops and surrounding areas? i am trying to get a feel for the place and like to plan things out. Thanks for any responses.

I have this link from Experience St. Maarten. It will give you a feel for where many of the shops are located on Front Street.

It's not 100% accurate. It shows, for instance, that Trident and Shiva's (our favorite jewelry shops) are located some distance apart, when in fact they are almost directly across from each other on Front Street. It also shows the old location for Rima's, one of our favorite shopping destinations. They've moved up the street (Pondfill Road) towards the Post Office.

You can also take a look at this map for perspective. Almost all of the shopping is clustered around (or a short walk in either direction) Wathey Square, Little Pier and the Court House, but for a sense of scale, the entire distance from the Foot of Town to the Head of Town, as indicated on that map, is probably 3/4 of a mile.

The Cruise Facility is located in Point Blanche, which is just off the bottom right of this map.

gary

That is a nice watch. i will have to look out for Muriel. Just wondering, how much do you think a 2000 Aquaracer or a Carrera can be had at Goldfinger? Also what do you think about the Omega Speedmaster Auto? Thanks Gary.

I truly have no idea what the pricing might be for any of those.

If you're looking in that category, I would suggest giving them a call.

Goldfinger's number is 011 599 542 6200.

I use jajah.com to call down island and to our son in England, and the SXM calls are about $.14/minute.

gary

Liquor prices are usually within a couple of dollars of each other along Front Street. Kal does have a favorite, maybe Caribbean Paradise?

Last year we bought at Splash Jewelers, which has moved to right across the street from Shiva's. Stoli Vodka was $4.95/liter.

The jewelry stores often have cheap booze to get you into the shop, where they figure that they might sell you some diamonds.

gary

For the best prices in liquor go to Caribbean Paradise. The shop is on the bayside of Front street, west of the Courthouse and a few store fronts beyond and across from McDonalds. I believe the address is something like 79 Front Street.

Also check Ray's Jewelry directly across from Caribbean Paradise. Ray's has a limited selection, but a few items are often cheaper than Paradise. Absolut (1 liter) is almost always about $5.95. They also had Guavaberry (1 liter) for $12.95 compared to $15.95 at the Guavaberry Emporium.

I often give Paradise a lower quote I found elsewhere and they usually match it, but not always.

Thanks Gary and Kal. Do you know if these jewelry stores have any high end stuff? I am assuming they don't but just checking. Also do they ever throw in alcohol as part of a sale on diamonds and jewelry?

Thanks Gary and Kal. Do you know if these jewelry stores have any high end stuff? I am assuming they don't but just checking. Also do they ever throw in alcohol as part of a sale on diamonds and jewelry?

Shivas does... One of the biggest on the island, so they certainly keep the high end stuff...

and Yeah sure lot of ppl will throw some booze in if the sale is significant...

but to be honest, your better off looking for a good deal on jewelry, rather than trying to get some free booze...considering its so darn cheap....please avoid that potentially costly mistake...

and basically all jewelry stores will serve you drinks while shopping... to make you more "comfortable" obviously...

(more comfortable to say yes when they bring out that 25k solitare ring that ur significant other can't seem to let go off...)

For jewelry stores, I exclusively shop at Touch of Gold. They have been in Philipsburg for about 30 years. They've got very high end merchandise. If you stop in ask for the owner Heeru and mention my name. They will treat you very well. On one trip, I introduced our friends to Heeru and she purchased a $13,000 diamond. Upon returning home she had it appraised at $40,000. The US jeweler said he had never seen a diamond like it. :eek: I guess that would qualify for "high-end stuff".

Other than giving you beer, etc while you're in the store, and maybe a bottle of champagne with an appropriate purchase, they do not have a wall of liquor bottles. If you want liquor, just shop for liquor. If you want a discount, they definitely will work with you.

Thanks for the story Kal, wish that could happen to me one of these days. But i was talking about high end liquor as opposed to high end jewelry. I will be shopping at certain jewelry stores and was just wondering if they had good stuff so that I can throw that into the price.

Thanks for the story Kal, wish that could happen to me one of these days. But i was talking about high end liquor as opposed to high end jewelry. I will be shopping at certain jewelry stores and was just wondering if they had good stuff so that I can throw that into the price.

Darn, high-end LIQUOR! I was dusting off the high-end JEWELRY info, like the pink diamond at Shiva's. They're jewelry only -- no booze except for the free beers that they serve while you shop.

th_pinkdiamond.jpg

I've seen Blue and Dom at the Philipsburg Liquor Store, located to the Right about two hundred yards from the Cruise Facility main gate. It's in an industrial area.

Crazy me! I thought you were talking about buying jewelry at a jewelry store. If you're trying to get a discount on jewelry you're better off just negotiating the price of the bling-bling and use that cash savings toward liquor purchases at the lowest price liquor store. I doubt that you will find high-end liquor at any jewelry store. They use the liquor as a loss-leader just to get shoppers in the door so they can sell them bling.

Last year I purchased some excellent liquor at a shop just below the flea market and a few doors from Main St. They are called" something 2" and thought selection and prices very good. Only problem was one of the bottles of Dewars 12 in a box had the seal broken. Found this when I got home but it tasted ok. If buying any boxed liquor I would open box and check it. Their cig prices were good as well. This was my 5th time in STM and iwould shop there again. No jewelery but souveniers sold there. They had Absinthe.

No unfortunately shivas doesnt carry any liqor at all...just jewelry...

If your looking for high end liquor, I would highly recommend, Gift World, about 50 yards from the guavaberry emporium. Yes they do carry Blue, DP and I do remember purchasing the Cristal Magnum for new years once.

Im not a huge fan of blue, so cudnt help you much with the price or anything.., but they have probably got the best collection of Aged Rums, virtually every single malt, and some really really rare cognacs and grappa...

Just ask for Anita or Juggie... mention my name, and im sure they would take good care of you :)

The minute you open champagne the quality goes downhill. It's great for the moment, but it's not as if you can savor it over time. I enjoy DP but the price is unreasonable when compared to my preference - Taittinger.

For the same price I would spring for Taittinger and use the savings on Patron.

I see you are a Patron fan like myself. Though I have only had the silver. Ever have the reposado or the añejo? I tried cabo Wabo (reposado) the other night. Pretty good. How about Don Julio, ever try any of that guy?

I've had Patron Reposado, Anejo & Silver but never found anyone who would part with any PLATINUM. Also had a bottle of Cabo Wabo Anejo but it must have "evaporated". All are very good, but to tell you the truth after the first shot they all seem to be similar. Wonder why! :D

Never had any Don Julio but would be willing to try some REAL which goes for something like $500 a bottle. Again, I keep looking for someone who would part with some of theirs.

After returning from St. Maarten I'm now perfecting 4-5 shooters. During our visit we befriended a great bartender along the boardwalk who gave us an incredible deal on shooters as long as we were on the island. One night we had something like 40 between the 4 of us. B52, B57, B59, Buttery Nipple, BJ, and more (with names I can't list here). My wife's favorite is "Sex on the Beach" with Midori, peach schnapps, Creme de Banana, Blue Curacao and Vodka).

Archived