PRIDE OF ALOHA Questions.

eternityj

I will be cruising with my wife 9/1/06 (Friday) onboard POA embarking from Maui.

I have some questions.

1. I booked air through NCL, does anyone know what time they usually schedule you to fly in? Also, what time do they fly you out? I fly from/to LAX, if that matters.

2. Assuming I get in about noon, do people usually rent the car for two days? (Since the boat leaves 9:30 the day after). Is there a fee for parking the rental car by the ship since I need to check in/out? If I do rent it for two days, is there a place I can park overnight by the port? Is there a fee for this?

3. Is there a mandatory lifeboat drill on Friday? There is no straight answer for this. Some say sunday with the Honolulu folks and some say friday at 6pm. which one is it?

4. Assuming I checked into the boat already, do I have to be back on the boat by certain time friday even though the boat is docked overnight? Can I spend the night on land if I want to?

5. What day is best to do your own luau (booked on your own) without any conflicts? eg. boat leaving early? Also, do you think we can squeeze in a luau the friday we get back? (If the plane leaves say 10pm)

I have other questions but I'll just start with this one. I'm a first time poster but long time reader. Everyone here is so helpful! Thanks in advance!!

I will be cruising with my wife 9/1/06 (Friday) onboard POA embarking from Maui.

I have some questions.

1. I booked air through NCL, does anyone know what time they usually schedule you to fly in? Also, what time do they fly you out? I fly from/to LAX, if that matters.

It depends on what airline they booked you in.

2. Assuming I get in about noon, do people usually rent the car for two days? (Since the boat leaves 9:30 the day after). Is there a fee for parking the rental car by the ship since I need to check in/out? If I do rent it for two days, is there a place I can park overnight by the port? Is there a fee for this?

Don't know about Maui port. In Kauai you can.

3. Is there a mandatory lifeboat drill on Friday? There is no straight answer for this. Some say sunday with the Honolulu folks and some say friday at 6pm. which one is it?

Mandatory muster drill is on Sunday in Honolulu at 5:30 PM.

4. Assuming I checked into the boat already, do I have to be back on the boat by certain time friday even though the boat is docked overnight? Can I spend the night on land if I want to?

You can be in and out of the boat all night. No curfew impost.

5. What day is best to do your own luau (booked on your own) without any conflicts? eg. boat leaving early? Also, do you think we can squeeze in a luau the friday we get back? (If the plane leaves say 10pm)

The ship offers luau on Saturday in Maui (Pacific Paradise Luau). Ship leaves port at 9:30ish.

I have other questions but I'll just start with this one. I'm a first time poster but long time reader. Everyone here is so helpful! Thanks in advance!!

Hope this helps you. Don't expect to get lei'd in Maui, coz you won't get any.

One more question, can I visit two restarants in one night? Do they keep record of whether you already had dinner? If you can aswer any one of my questions, it will be great!! thank you.

In the main dining room, they have a record 'coz they swipe your keycard. No unless you're talking about the specialty restaurant where they charge you extra. You can always go to deck 11 at Hukilau Cafe and Lanai for buffet style meals.

When we flew into Hawaii, we arrived about 2:30 in the afternoon, Hawaii time. Of course we came from the midwest and flew to Honolulu. There are less flights to Maui, so times may be limited.

Most flights out of Hawaii are evening flights designed so you arrive on the mainland around dawn.

Renting a car is good but we only did it for one day. We took an NCL excursion the second day. I don't think you are allowed to park at the pier, but I think there is a public lot about two blocks away.

When I was on the Star in 2002 and we picked up additional passengers in Maui, there was a special lifeboat drill just for them. They did not have to go to the one in Honolulu. I believe the US Coast Guard rules state that a lifeboat drill must be held within 24 hours of embarkation.

As stated above, you can come and go as you please all night long. You can stay on shore that night, but why would you? You have already paid for lodging in your cruise fare.

Be careful about booking a luau on the day the ship leaves Maui. Most of the luau's are in the Lahania area, about 45 minutes from the ship and then you have to return the rental car. If you book a luau through the ship as a shore excursion you can be guaranteed that the ship won't leave. The ships do not sail until all NCL sponsored tours have returned, which is a safety feature in booking through NCL. If you are on your own tour and have a problem (flat tire, heavy traffic, etc.) the ship will not wait on you!

We just got back and there is parking near the ship in Maui, there's a small lot really close and if that is full there is parking further away. We did not have to use our card for dining except at the specialty restaurants so at the regular dining rooms you can eat as many times as you like. They have 2 lifeboat drills. One on Friday at 5:30 pm and one on Sunday at 4:00 pm. We did not make either one and nothing was ever said though I heard they took roll. Both times we were off the ship. We had a great time, rented cars at all ports, so have fun.

We did not have to use our card for dining except at the specialty restaurants so at the regular dining rooms you can eat as many times as you like.

Well, they swipe our card at the main dining room (Palace) both Tuesday night and Saturday night.

As far as the mandatroy muster drill is concern, my bad, it was at 5:00 PM, Sunday. Don't know about Maui embarkation.

Archived