QM2 Med Explorer: U.S. Citizens' Immigration for Shore Excursions: Any Experience?

CruiserTed

Dear Ladies and Gents,

My wife and I look forward to our upcoming Mediterranean QM2 cruise. We are interested particularly in how arduous and lengthy is the immigration experience for U.S. citizens on the port days (for shore excursions in Italy, Portugal, France, Spain, etc.). Some of the days ashore are SO short (6 hours give or take) that we hope the immigration process doesn't cut into the time. Any experiences here?

Thanks in advance,

Cruiser Ted

I was on the QE2 in Spain and Portugal last year but expect it's the same on QM2. We were never checked by immigration in any of these ports. Since you're traveling between EU ports, you're checked at the beginning and end of the trip only. Your ship's ID does have your nationality and passport number, but it never came up.

No worries, just walk down the gangplank and enjoy the ports.

Julia

The only long delay for US and other Non-EU citizens is at the airport in London.

And that's hit-or-miss. I flew into Heathrow last month (Friday of the U.S. Memorial Day/U.K. Bank Holiday weekend) on the daytime American Airlines flight out of Boston (arrives about 8:30pm), and I think my delay at Immigration was about 3 minutes. We were the only passengers there.

Now, if you fly over on one of the overnight flights and get there in the morning with everyone else, then yes, you're going to be in Immigration with several thousand people.

Yes, unlike immigration into the USA, you will just walk ashore at almost all Mediterranean ports.

In fact if you are travelling intra-European Union, (or from one EU port to another), it is all classed as one country, with no border or customs controls.

The exception is the UK, which did not sign up to this (the Schengen) agreement.

Archived