Cruise with Children

If you kept a blow up pool on your balcony, what about the people below you? I do not think that I would be happy having water dripping down on top of me. I would not expect the cabin steward to empty it either.

I would also think that the deck of the ship is crowded enough without blow-up pools, unless there is an out of the way spot, maybe next to the children's area.

Isnt the Freedom suppose to have a children's water park? This would solve the problem for unpotty trained children. Maybe they should do it on all the ships.

Isnt the Freedom suppose to have a children's water park? This would solve the problem for unpotty trained children. Maybe they should do it on all the ships.

The water park is not just for kids and is actually a very large pool. It is not a place for unpotty trained children. If they had to empty it out and clean it, it would be unavailable for hours.

The water park is not just for kids and is actually a very large pool. It is not a place for unpotty trained children. If they had to empty it out and clean it, it would be unavailable for hours.

I was thinking that is was something else, more like a sprinkling system where the children just stand under a fountain that squirts.

I was thinking that is was something else, more like a sprinkling system where the children just stand under a fountain that squirts.

Gosh. no! It is huge, equal in size to the main pool and has a variety of statue-like things that shoot water, etc. It can hold a ton of people and will attract many more than just little kids.

Hey Clark... to answer your question about the dumping of the pool.... find a place on deck to place the pool... very close to the main pools or hot tubs and also very close to a drain in the floor. Remember, the floor is made to absorb all the run off from the pools and rain. Just be considerate when dumping that you dont go right for peoples shoes or belongings. It can be done... I have seen it. ( i never had to do it because DS was 5 when he took his first cruise). You also dont have to fill the pool to the rim.... water to splash with can be just as fun.

to the OP... sorry if you feel that there has been some flaming on this post. It is a hot topic after all. But if you look through, some of the flames were directed at other posters as well. Good luck with the potty training. And yes, accidents do happen but also keep that in mind when taking them in the pools as well.

This is exactly my concern about the blow up pools. The floor isn't designed to "absorb" water from these little pools--water that non-potty trained youngster have been playing in. It's not intended for (well, there's no polite way to say this) water that may have bits of potty material in it and the resulting germs and such. That's as much a contamination hazard as allowing them in the main pools. (Unless you mean that no water gets onto the deck and it's dumped directly into the drains; assuming the drains are intended for contaminated water, again a possible issue.)

When you write "that you don't go right for people's belongings and shoes," I picture the water being dumped on the deck possibly near the drains, but still being allowed to flow onto the deck. This means that even if you "miss" people's belongings, you are still possibly contaminating the places where we walk barefoot. Thus, we can carry it right into the ship or into the pools. Not a good thing.

I think a little pool on a private balcony is fine, as long as it's not filled so full that the cabins below you get rained on. I'm not sure how easy it would be to drain them from out there, but there must be a way to transport the water back and forth from the bathroom.

beachchick

interesting.. I always wondered about how they emptied them as well.. I don't have babies so I never really gave it too much thought on the matter.. But I have read many threads where the pool was closed for several hours (and on a sea day at that) because of toddler doo doo in to the pool. :eek:

I'm a mother of 5- including a set of twins. My youngest, a 2 year old was with us on Mariner of the SEas last month. I had her potty trained well for the cruise- it was a goal of mine to be done by the cruise. Take the time to devote to it and it will happen. We cruised with the twins when they were 2 and did the same thing. As for the camps, my baby wanted to go SOOO badly, but she was happy being with just her parents in the evenings. She did ok at the shows and loved roaming around for the live music and dancing until 10pm. They also have in room sitting available. They use the kids program counselors for that- we were extremely pleased with them for our other kids. In the future we wouldnl't hesitate to try the inroom situation on the next one.

Kay

I'd like to add, for the OP's benefit, this -- we also did not realize toddlers could not go in the pools when we booked our first cruise (our toddler was 27 months on the first cruise). I was a bit disappointed to say the least, when I figured this out (by the way, the information is certainly available, but it is not clearly pointed out to the average traveler making a reservation). Despite being disapointed, I understood the reasoning and I never considered breaking the rules. We had a wonderful cruise, toddler had the time of her life (enjoyed playing in the water at the beaches, by the way -- probably more than she would have liked the pool anyway, what with the natural environment, sand, etc) and we've all cruised 2 more times since then (and then was just 6 months ago).

Point is -- there is SO much else to do, if you spend your time thinking about the OTHER things, you'll find plenty to do and have no problems. On the other hand, if you stress, fuss about it, and plan ways to "cheat" the rules, it will just add strain to what should be a great cruise!!

Happy cruising . . . you will all have a great time!:)

Just remember that girls do potty train faster than boys. It's not sexist, it's just one of those things. Mot boys potty train at 3 and a half. If your kid is not a super quick potty trainer it's not because there is anything wrong with you as a parent. Some kids aren't ready till later.

They have a great program for kids under 3 sponsored by Fisher Price. Take part in that. Your kids should be fine. When they are young, the simplest things can something amuse. The pool should not be the end all of if they have a good time. You can take them to the beach in Bermuda and let them play in the water there.

Archived