Get a padded camera neck strap

Cabb

This forum gave me lots of good ideas, so I'd like to return the favor. We took digital cameras, backup batteries, extra memory cards, even the manuals, but didn't think about the camera neck straps. They'd never been a problem, but after 3 days, we both had rub marks from the thin straps that came with the cameras. We were lucky enough to find a camera shop in Anchorage and bought padded straps. They were only about $10.00, even in Alaska, and the comfort they brought was priceless. The rest of the cruise we noticed people carrying their cameras by hand and knew why!

One way alleviate this (in the event you can't buy new, better neck straps), is to wear the strap bombabier-style, that is, across your body, instead of letting the camera hang from your neck. This will redistribute the weight a little bit.

Also, check the strap every now and again. I had my camera hanging around my neck on a recent bus tour, and the clasp had come loose. When I stood up, the camera fell to the ground. Luckily, it did not break, but if the drop had been further, or if it had fallen in the water.....

T

• 2 weeks later...
This forum gave me lots of good ideas, so I'd like to return the favor. We took digital cameras, backup batteries, extra memory cards, even the manuals, but didn't think about the camera neck straps. They'd never been a problem, but after 3 days, we both had rub marks from the thin straps that came with the cameras. We were lucky enough to find a camera shop in Anchorage and bought padded straps. They were only about $10.00, even in Alaska, and the comfort they brought was priceless. The rest of the cruise we noticed people carrying their cameras by hand and knew why!

ours will go thru DH belt loop so its hands free and also you can have your memory cards burnt on a CD just in case your afraid something might happen to it

I used a fanny pac around my waist to put my camera and extra batteries and everything else.It was easy to get to and it protected everything and kept my hands free.I would not travel without it.:)

Archived