Help with Shore Excursions

aubesmom

Just wondering if anyone could help us decide on some shore excursions. We are sailing on the Valor 7/23 and it will be myslef, dh and DD who is 4.

We will be stopping in Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize and Costa Maya.

DH has booked a golf excursion in Belize so I would need something that DD and I could do without him. I'm leaning towards just doing some shopping at the port and maybe got to a beach area for a little while. Is this possible without an excursion?

The other ports we have no idea about. Any suggestions? Also, does the suggested excursion include transportation to and from the ship or do you have to find seperate transportation?

Thanks so much!

I have only been to Grand Cayman, we took a Carnival excursion that took us to the turtle farm, then to Hell (great place to send post cards - "i've been to Hell and back", "Hell isn't all that bad!" etc), and then we went to Stingray City.

I was a bit apprehensive about getting into the water with these black clouds that came racing to our boat, but once in the water and getting to experience being around these gentle creatures, noone wanted to get back on the boat! Great trip. We then finished our tour, had a great lunch at thi cute English type pub, and then shopped for a bit before getting back on board.

Really was a great port and lots to do!!

Belize is a very third world country. I would book a ship excursion there and not try to go out on your own..... try one of the beach breaks or the zoo.... there are shops at the port area that have guards to keep out the overly aggressive sales people and independent shore excursion people trying to sell to you ..... I personally would not feel safe going off on my own in Belize City... it is a beautiful country but still very third world and poor..... The only port on our cruise that I wouldn't do again without booking an excursion..... We cave tubed but your DD will be to young for that

Costa Maya is a very new port and has a great port area with a pool, shops, bars, restaurants and entertainment.... but you can also go outside the port and take a taxi to the fishing village "Majahual".... beautiful beach and a great day ....your daughter would love it...

Thanks for the replies. Anyone else?

I'll have to look into the excursions again in Belize. Thanks for the info. It would figure the one port I really need DH to be with me, he will be golfing.:rolleyes:

In Belize we did a cave tubing excursion booked through a private operator -- Reggie's Cave Tubing -- but your 4 year old would probably be too young.

Other than that, I can't speak about Belize --

On Roaton we booked the ship's excursion to Tabayana beach -- which was just wonderful. We planned to snorkel as well and they provided a "water guide" to point out some of the stuff we were seeing. But beyond that -- it was one of the nicest beaches I've been on -- and that includes St. John's, Magens Bay, 7 Mile Beach and St. Maartin! It was a big more structured -- lots of chairs, etc. -- but was very clean and well groomed -- to the point the staff had created artistic medallions on the ground using palm fronds and coconuts -- or a nice display with an old sea kayak, fronds, and various flotsum and jetsum! It was really very pretty --

In Grand Caymen if you don't want to do the "city tour" with Hell and the Turtle Farm -- it is very easy to get to 7 Mile Beach using the local buses -- just flag one down and tell the driver what you want to do -- ours just dropped us as a great location. If you want to book the Sting Ray City tour (and, frankly, I wouldn't necessarily advise it for a 4 year old -- my DS did it when it was about 9 and was still too short for the depth of the water so I had a kid glommed onto my neck for the entire event!) check Captain Marvin.

My mom and her friend actually started to walk around Belize and did not get far when they were approached by a local, who was qucikly told by the police to take off, my mom and her friend were then told to head back to the pier area, because there was not to do in town. They just took the tender back to the ship.

we did Cave tubing, but as you have been told the 4 year old would be too young. I would see what else CCL has to offer.

Thanks everyone, I'm thinking I may just let dh buy all the souvies from the golf shop. I will check with the shore excursion desk on the ship and see if anyone else is looking at going to the pier area as well and maybe we can buddy up. If CCarnival is open in the am, I'll just let dd go there and I'll wonder around the ship or enjoy the empty pools by myself for a while. (Something I never get as a SAHM!) Might even take advantage and do a little laundry without the "added help" (DD! LOL) Then I can pick her up from the club and take her for lunch and maybe back to the pool. Really am not interested in any of the excursions offered. Maybe would have done a few if DH was going to be with me, but not by myself.

Does anyone know if Camp Carnival will be open?

Archived