No Lobster!!!

Just got back from Empress of the Seas 7 Nt. Bermuda out of Philly. I am still in shock that lobster was not offered at all on this cruise!!! On the second formal night, the featured entree was, get this, a pork chop!!!!! Out of 9 cruises, this is the only cruise where lobster was not offered, with the exception of a no-name brand cruise we took back in '99.

Is this a new trend? Or do you think this was a one time deal?

I thought lobster was a staple food on formal night.

I'M HOPING THIS WAS A ONE TIME FLUKE AS I HAVE MISSED THE LOBSTER ON 2 OF MY PREVIOUS CRUISES AND AM MAKING A POINT 2 CATCH IT THIS TIME AROUND.:eek:

Some people really love the lobster and look forward to it the entrie cruise. Whether you agree with them or not, it's important to them and their overall cruise experience. I wish I had the answer. It would really bother me if RCI did away with it. I am not a major fan, but it would be indicative, to me, of an overall attitude that I would be uncomfortable with.

Drive by Lobster Post :D

I have thought of the new Freedom and the number of people on some of the new ships and started thinking would things like Lobster become history. Just from the volume of tails needed.

I really do miss the South Africian lobster tails from the early 80s... Large and good..... (Cunard Countess)

In the mid 90s I saw a travel video of New Zealand and they showed a Lobster stand much like a hot dog stand.... Will be checking that out on my In Search of Lost Hobbits cruise.... :D

Oh, I like lobster, it's just not anything special to DH or me.

I do, however, realize how so many pax look forward to the lobster and how it's been associated with "formal" night dining. Therefore, I think it's a major mistake for RCI to eliminate lobster from any menu. ;)

Don't think the point was whether you like lobster or not, but if the cruiseline is attempting to downgrade the level of food. By the way, many people do like to have the lobster.

If lobster was served on Mon when we were in St. George, that would explain a lot. That was the night we ate in Portofinos. But I did look at the menu for the dining room that evening and don't remember seeing lobster. It's possible I could have overlooked it. I'm just used to expecting it on the 2nd formal night. I know cruise ship lobster doesn't have the best reputation, but I've always found it edible, and just a nice touch and kind of expected to have on a cruise. I certainly didn't starve by any stretch......

There were 4 of us at our table (#45 second seating), but we didn't bother asking about the lobster. There were, after all, lamb chops on the menu that night! Yummy!

I don't recall fried chicken in the DR, but there was a vegetarian chili served one night. My father in law liked it, but it was very spicy. They always had a selection for vegetarians which was nice.

The food was excellent, like I said, I didn't go hungry, although I was a little dissappointed with the entree selections in the Winjammmer for lunch. It was basically the same 5 or so entrees, with a different sauce each day. Not a complaint, it's just an observation.

Hope i answered all of your questions.

I just got off the Brillance and definitely noted they were de-emphasizing the Lobster. It was not served on formal night, but as noted previously, was served the night after the second formal night as a Fisherman's platter. Now I love lobster and will take seconds if offered. But, on my way out of the dining room I feel like I saw the reason they are veering away from lobster. There was a man with his video camera set up to film his eating what looked like about a dozen or more lobster tails. Now I think it is great that RCCL is so accomodating, but lets get real. It only takes a few of these types to ruin a good thing for everyone else. As we came home, my family was laughing about all the things we heard people complaining about and one of them overheard a conversation in which someone felt they were being "nickeled and dimed" constantly because of the Lattitudes and other optional "pay" products. My thought was that they should add a charge for the second and third lobster tails to put an end to the glutton and his type on cruises. That way everyone can look forward to lobster night and RCCL does not have to exceed their budget feeding someone who chooses to abuse a good thing.

Archived