Packing for the longer cruise

mischamom

Speaking of packing, anyone come across a website or have a quick fix guide to packing for a trip of this length with the wide variation in weather (Baltics)? I would have no problem if we could take unlimited suitcases...but my husband tells me our rental car from LHR to Dover and the car back means pack light ("er" than I usually pack). I need a "checklist" so I don't think too deeply about this one.

Hi:

For packing economy on recent 18-nite trip I bought some nylon/polyester underwear that was easy to handwash, dry fast is sink instead of lots of pairs of usual cotton, same with socks. After washing and hand-wringing excess moisture out, lay out the item in a towel and roll into a 'wrap', then squeeze further to get even drier before hanging overnight. Tuxedo rental saves some packing.

Wal-mart has little travel laundry packs for sinks BUT three teensy packs cost $1. I'm staring at these packs in W-m and go "Duh!" - use a ziploc baggie from laundry powder at home.

Finally, we planned on using ship's pay laundry for few large items like jeans to also conserve packing.

DW says cabin's hair dryer is 1-speed and very hot only. She brings lightweight curling iron to finetune the results instead of heavy home dryer replacement.

If you fly first class, at least on Delta, bag weight allowance is 70 lbs, otherwise 50lbs is standard per bag before overweight charges. We weigh on bathroom scale to check and put alot of valuables, toiletries, one change clothes in carry-on. Good Luck.

We've done the Baltic twice (and loved it both times).

I think the answer re packing is much the same as the answer for Alaska: layering.

Very easy to add or remove a layer, depending on the climate at the moment.

I don't think it necessary to empty the bedroom closet; between layering and mix/match, it should be relatively easy to pack for a cruise combined with a land stay/tour.

we're OBVIOUSLY going cruising the baltics in the summer, and is it hot there or freezing? because i know we're going to be walking A LOT and the only times we'll probably be inside are mealtimes, the cruise ship, and maybe a few museums!!! so is layering really what we should do??? im sorry if this sounded kinda snobby, because im not trying to put it in that kind of text.

Archived