Misrepresent, mislead or poor description?

DonSherman

I have always been a fan of Renaissance and Oceania, and taken several cruises with them. I also feel they offer very good value. However, I believe that something I call misleading has happened. I originally signed up for a Jan 6, 2006 Asia cruise, but had to cancel in advance due to a family health issue. I got a full refund as I gave over 90 days notice. Later on I noted that the same cruise was offered on Jan 6,2007. I took a brief look ( My error, not Oceania's), and noted that Cambodia was no longer on the itinerary, but there was more time in 2 ports. I signed up. Recently, I started planning shore excursions. I was surprised to see that day 7 " Hanoi" departs at 9:00 AM, and day 12 " Bangkok" departs at 8:00 AM!! I believe that those days should be called " at Sea". I checked 5 other cruise lines that go to Asia in the fall of 2006 & spring of 2007, and did not find any other listings of departure days listed as " in port" except when they stay in port at least 1/2 day ( except day 1 and last day- which all cruise lines do). I am not upset, but disapointed. I should have noticed the departure times when I booked the cruise, but I do believe that the listing of port cities is not up to what I expect from Oceania. Is their listing of port days misleading? My review of other cruise lines does not show this pattern. I still think Oceania is a great cruise line, but I am disappointed.

I personally don't think it a misrepresentation - and if you are not a "detail" reader, I can see how you might think it misleading. I am a detail reader, usually, so those things don't "jump up and surprise me".

I know it is semantics, but I think cruise duration should be tallied by nights spent aboard. Some cruise lines show duration by days - but you are often disembarked by 8AM, hardly qualifying it as a full day.

I don't feel it is a case of "misrepresent, mislead or poor description" - but of not reading properly. The itinerary is letting one know that the ship will be in port overnight. Yes, they could have listed:

Day 7 - Hanoi depart 9am

Day 7 - at sea

Day 12 - Bangkok depart 8am

Day 12 - at sea

Of course there would be someone, seeing the 'extra' days, and not noting that some were actually the same day, then commenting that the Line was trying to "misrepresent, mislead or poor description" by having fewer days than they expected.

A lot of cruise lines depart from Aruba very early in the morning, and the show intineraries as "Aruba dep 12:30am" (even though it is really a sea day). Until Hurricane Wilma, this was also the case with Cozumel.

Common practice among cruiselines is to show it this way. If this is deceptive, I would assume the whole industry is at fault.

I find it confusing at times (I am easily confused!!), but I have never found it deceptive.

Archived