N617 would you ask for Compensation?

pkwessel

Hi fellow CC's,

As we were on the cruise with the Gastro outbreak and Our 5 year old daughter did get the bug, would you seek some kind of compensation from P&O?

The outbreak did to some extent ruin some of our experience with the closing of the buffet etc

Our Daughter once diagnosed, was then quarantined to our cabin.(only for 24 hours as then the cruise had finished.) If she had got it earlier she would have been quarantined the the full 48 hours.

My wife then had to stay with her the cabin and I then had our other daughter (3 years)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Peter

hi,its bad luck your daughter caught the gastro bug,but I dont feel P&O are responsible for it .there has been a widespread outbreak of gastro-enteritis all over Sydney,so she could have picked it up anytime even if she wasnt on the cruise.If passengers paid more attention to their personal hygeine it would not spread so quickly.Antibacterial handwashes have been installed at buffet and resturant for a couple of years now ,and there is always a circular in the cabin about hand washing to prevent the spread of germs.I did a cruise a couple of years ago that had gastro on the previous cruise.the crew were super vigilant about disinfecting public areas of the ship,handrails,lift buttons .encouraging everyone to use the antibacterial washes before touching food.ultimately it is up to the individual to take some responsibility for their own health.Luckily she caught it at the end of the cruise so was still able to enjoy her holiday up til then.I dont know what sort of compensation you are expecting? We dont want to end up litigation crazy like America.It was just bad luck and luckily there are no long term ill effects from Noro virus.I might add,I caught noro virus myself at work last year.was incapacitated for a couple of weeks ,was entitled to workers comp for my medical expenses,but it just wasnt worth the hassle and all the paper work.I made a full recovery and was paid for my time off work.Focus on your next holiday,put this one behind you.it was just bad luck and had long lasting ill effects.Life is too short to dwell on the past.:) :) :)

I totally agree with you Physiemum. It certainly isn't nice to get sick while on holiday but it can happen anytime, anywhere. If you spent a week or 2 on the Gold Coast in an apartment & got sick would you seek compensation? Obviously it's each persons own choice but I honestly wouldn't seek compensation for anything that I couldn't prove was the fault of P&O.

Karen

Archived