Hiking in Sitka and Juneau

quahog8

First post from a long-time lurker. I've been reading these boards to prepare for my first-ever cruise, and my first-ever trip to Alaska. Thanks to all for sharing your wisdom, insights, and experiences so generously.

I'm hoping to spend much of my Sitka and Juneau port time hiking. If anyone is familiar with these trails, I'd love to hear your advice and preferences.

Sitka: in port from 8am -4pm. Choice 1 -- Indian River Trail to Indian River Falls (mostly flat and rainforesty). Choice 2 -- Gavan Hill Trail (a steep 3-mile climb).

Juneau: in port from 8am - 9pm. Choice 1 -- Climb Perseverence Trail to Mt. Juneau. Choice 2 -- Take Mt Roberts Tram to top, then hike along the ridge (I have to admit, I've had a very difficult time locating information about specific trails up there).

So, fellow hikers, which choices are better? Or, are there other hikes in Sitka or Juneau you would recommend?

Thanks in advance,

quahog8

I'm not much of a hiker, but when we were in Juneau we took the tram and did one of the shorter hikes on Mt. Roberts. It was beautiful. Almost all up hill, but the view was worth it!

We didn't go to Sitka, but in Juneau we spent several hours hiking around Mendenhall Glacier (last week). We headed out there first to avoid the crowds (though we were the only people on the trails beyond the first 1/8 mile) and had a wonderful time. You can see the trail map at http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/

I would suggest printing the map and trail descriptions since they do not provide a good trail map and the trails are not well marked. We really enjoyed the Moraine Ecology Trail - very lush!

We also hiked around Mt. Roberts, but that wasn't nearly as interesting. I would still recommend taking the tram up there, but I'm glad we allocated more time to the glacier.

Thank you, deevma and PLDenver. Very helpful!

How did you get to the Mendenhall Glacier trailhead? The other hikes I mentioned (both in Juneau and in Sitka) have trailheads within walking distance of the dock. My sense is that Mendenhall is farther away -- what did you use for transportation?

Thanks again,

quahog8

Right on the dock there are lots of tour company booths and many (all?) offer $6 rides to the glacier (takes 15 minutes). I don't think it matters which one you go with, but ours was Juneau Tours or something like that and they had 2 school buses that ran every half hour (i.e. leave the dock or the glacier on the hour and half-hour). We bought roundtrip tickets on the dock. By the way, you cross over a little stream bed along the way and there were several eagles down there fishing and our bus driver said they are always there. So sit on the right side of the bus (i.e. if facing the front) on the way to the glacier and keep an eye out for them.

We did the East Glacier Loop last June at Mendenhall Glacier and thought it was a good hike. We saw less than a dozen other people but we started early in the day. Have fun, and talk loud to alert any bears!

Cheers, Dee and John

• 4 weeks later...
Right on the dock there are lots of tour company booths and many (all?) offer $6 rides to the glacier (takes 15 minutes). I don't think it matters which one you go with, but ours was Juneau Tours or something like that and they had 2 school buses that ran every half hour (i.e. leave the dock or the glacier on the hour and half-hour). We bought roundtrip tickets on the dock. By the way, you cross over a little stream bed along the way and there were several eagles down there fishing and our bus driver said they are always there. So sit on the right side of the bus (i.e. if facing the front) on the way to the glacier and keep an eye out for them.

Thank you, PLDenver and Dorinda! I had no idea it would be so easy to get to Mendenhall for a quiet hike. Unless somebody talks me into climbing Mt. Juneau instead, I'll take your suggestions for my hike that day!

Somebody mentioned that the maps leave a lot to be desired; how well marked are the trails?

How about Sitka hikes? Anyone? I may make my decision based on visibility: the flat rainforest hike if the day is overcast, and the mountain if the skies are relatively clear.

We leave in two weeks. Can't wait!!! :D

Thanks again for the advice!

quahog8

When we did the East Glacier Loop at Mendenhall we didn't even have a map. The trail was well marked.

BTW, were just in Sitka and did a short but pleasant hike in the National Park there. It's close to the ship, has totem poles, history, great views.

Happy hiking!

Dee

YOur Juneau choice, Perseverance up Mt. Juneau, is a great choice. You can get to the trailhead on foot or take a short cab ride.

It's a tough trail with some steep parts, but worth it.

Soooo ... now it's a toss-up: should I make a weather-based decision (the glacier if it's drizzly, Perseverence if relatively clear), or do you definitely recommend the Perseverence to Mt. Juneau? I've seen your posts on other threads, and you clearly know your way around trails in the Juneau area.

One more question: it looks like the easier (therefore busier?) East Glacier trail is accessible from the main visitor's center. The West Glacier trail, however, looks to be more beautiful (Lonely Planet even calls it "spectacular"), but I can't judge how to get to the trailhead from the shuttle bus (Lonely Planet is particularly weak on maps, I've found).

I'm a pretty strong hiker, and so far this summer have done a week of hiking in Yosemite and several long weekends in the Colorado Rockies. I'm looking forward to capping off the whole amazing summer with a few hikes in Alaska!

Thanks again for your advice.

quahog8

One more question: it looks like the easier (therefore busier?) East Glacier trail is accessible from the main visitor's center. The West Glacier trail, however, looks to be more beautiful (Lonely Planet even calls it "spectacular"), but I can't judge how to get to the trailhead from the shuttle bus (Lonely Planet is particularly weak on maps, I've found).

The West Glacier Trail is quite spectacular and not too tough until a mile or so in. There's a great side trail that provides the closest hiking access to the Mendenhall Glacier (or to any glacier in that area). On the other hand, you pretty much need a car to get to the trailhead, or a city bus might get you sorta close.

Here's a shot at the cutoff for the glacier trail, with the approximate route to the glacier pointed out:

route-to-icecaves.jpg

A typical view on the ice (don't go onto the ice unless you really DO know what you're doing:

ic2-over2.jpg

Perseverance Trail is pretty rewarding, especially if you have an interest in old gold mining history. You can even pan for gold at the trailhead (in or out of a tour--it's just a creek) if that's your thing. It's about a two-mile (half of it residential) walk from town that is nice in itself.

You can find some challenging hiking atop Mt. Roberts as well. Hike up the hill (through former gold mines) or take the tram. Then, just keep going. If time is limited, the tram is a good choice, with a good ridgeline hike without the dull(er) approach.

Based on what you say about your previous hikes, these should not be a problem. A lot of uphill on potentially muddy trail; however, if you go far on the West Glacier trail, or its glacier cutoff, you will need to be much more cautious!

Hope this helps.

OutdoorsPro, you're the best. And thanks for posting the pictures; they were very helpful.

As much as I'd love to go out on the ice, I wouldn't know enough to do it safely (and I do know my limits). Looks like West Glacier is probably out. :(

I should be there in about two weeks ... can't wait. Yesterday, I did a nice little 7-miler locally: elevation = 370 ft. Hmmmm. Alaska beckons ....

Thanks again to all who replied to this thread.

quahog8

Archived